• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

An example of how to write a letter about OC

Louisiana Carry

imported post

Dear Superintendent ********,

First of all, I want to thank your division for doing the job you do, and doing it so well. I am well aware that the solid waste industry, both public and private, is certainly one of the most under-rated and under-appreciated aspects of civilization everywhere. My family has been from Shreveport and Caddo Parish for over a century now, but I have lived in several other states in my time, and I can say from experience that your particular division is indeed one to be proud of, especially with the budget the people of Shreveport have for you to work with. Thank you all.

That said, I did encounter an issue at the Woolworth Road Facility today that I trust you will want to promptly address, as it is properly a civil rights concern. I own a business in Shreveport, but it is not a waste business, so I have only had opportunity or need to visit that facility a small number of times over the years. I have always been impressed at how helpful the folks there were. This afternoon, however, as I was bringing a trailer of waste from cleaning out my shed to the main active dump area, I was confronted rather gruffly by one of your equipment operators about my sidearm. I attempted to politely, but firmly, explain that Shreveport has no laws authorizing the dump to be a firearm free zone, but he was rather adamant. I put forth that we agree to disagree, but he apparently was not satisfied with this, as when I reached the weigh station, the attendant had been instructed by the office personnel to inform me that firearms were not allowed at the facility. I again politely informed her that her instructions were in error, though likely well intentioned, and resolved to address the issue with your office.

It so happens that I have my finger on the pulse, so to speak, of Louisiana self defense issues. I am the webmaster of our State’s gun rights informational web site, http://louisianacarry.org (not affiliated with any State agency, purely a volunteer organization), and also a member of the [name removed for web posting], which puts on the area gun shows (non-profit also, we donate all proceeds to local entities in need, and particularly have a several decade long history of helping the city fund various projects over the years). That being the case, I was not particularly upset with the incident today for my own sake, knowing that there was no real legal concern. I am concerned for the City’s sake, though. If (heaven forbid) an employee were to be more forceful about their impression of a firearm prohibition and the event potentially resulted in a false arrest of legally armed citizen as a result of misinformation given to officers (knowing several of SPD’s officers as I do, I think and hope that an unlikely end result, but if it were to come about), this would quite likely result in civil action, and our City’s budget is so stretched already.

As to the necessary details of how it can be specifically and efficiently ascertained that there is indeed not any, nor could there be any, enforceable regulations regarding a law abiding armed citizen utilizing the facility, I thought I would provide a bit of additional detail. The State of Louisiana enacted a law providing for state-wide preemption of all local firearm laws, with a few specific exemptions. That law can be viewed on the Legislative Web Portal here: [RS 40:1796 Preemption of state law]. Barring a law passed prior to the date of that law, which is absent from Shreveport’s Code of Ordinances [there is a searchable database of the City Code here: Shreveport Code of Ordinances], it only allows for the prohibition of firearms from municipal buildings themselves, rather than outdoor facilities and such similar holdings. I have no need to enter the office building at Woolworth Rd, so I am unaware of whether there is a administrative rule regarding carrying in that facility, but I may need to use the dump site itself again. I hope and trust that the Division will address this training issue and prevent any future distasteful interactions of this type in the future.

Self defense being about as fundament a human right as can be possibly conceived, my natural inclination, believing the best in people as a rule, is that this information will be well received and promptly acted upon. I have most often been proud of Shreveport in the past regarding the prompt attention to civil rights matters in the past, and think that this case will be resolved just as satisfactorily. If I may be of any further assistance to your office or the City’s attorney in providing any further information, either about the incident or possibly providing links to additional legislative resources, please do not hesitate to contact me. My phone number is (318) 773-XXXX and my mailing address is P.O. Box 8026, Shreveport, LA 71148.

If you would be so kind, and if it proves possible, I would sincerely appreciate your appraising me of the status of the resolution of this issue. Again, I do not want you to feel like this is an angry letter at all. Your people all do an excellent job, and I want to thank you again for doing so. Lord knows the City would be unlivable in a matter of days without the hard work you all put in.

Sincerely,

Micha Petty

Louisiana Carry

imported post

I have not received a reply, yet. I did send this one today, as well.

Dear Superintendent XXXXXXXX,

I realized after I sent that last email that I forgot to include a very useful resource. The Office of the Attorney General; State of LOUISIANA; Opinion No. 78 795, while not the only example of what I am talking about, is a rather clear document illustrating what I was referring to. Please find it attached, and also a link to view it from the AG’s web site: Attorney General Opinion No. 78-795

Senator Brown asks:

1. Is it legal to carry an exposed handgun?

2. Do Parishes and/or Municipalities have the power to regulate the

carrying of exposed handguns?

The Attorney General Responds:

“The carrying of an exposed handgun is not illegal, except as provided in LSA

R.S. 14:94.1. Parishes and/or Municipalities may not enact ordinances

regulating the carrying of illegal handguns because the state has pre empted

the legislative control and has implicitly authorized the carrying of

unconcealed weapons.”

Interestingly the AG Office cites City of Shreveport V. Curry and City of Shreveport V. Bukhett, 357 S.2d 1078, (LA. 1978) as an example of an attempted over-reaching of police powers, which case was decided in the defendant’s favor against the City.

I only forward this because I imagine you have a large enough work load already, and I did not want to expect of you that you should have to track all that information down yourself.

Thank you again for your time.

Sincerely,

Micha Petty

marine77

imported post

Louisiana Carry wrote:
I am not yet, but I am in college with the in intent of being the next Alan Gura.
If your anything close to him, we need you both.

Bull Frog

imported post

Louisiana Carry wrote:
Dear Superintendent ********, 

First of all, I want to thank your division for doing the job you do, and doing it so well.  I am well aware that the solid waste industry, both public and private, is certainly one of the most under-rated and under-appreciated aspects of civilization everywhere.  My family has been from Shreveport and Caddo Parish for over a century now, but I have lived in several other states in my time, and I can say from experience that your particular division is indeed one to be proud of, especially with the budget the people of Shreveport have for you to work with.  Thank you all.

That said, I did encounter an issue at the Woolworth Road Facility today that I trust you will want to promptly address, as it is properly a civil rights concern.  I own a business in Shreveport, but it is not a waste business, so I have only had opportunity or need to visit that facility a small number of times over the years.  I have always been impressed at how helpful the folks there were.  This afternoon, however, as I was bringing a trailer of waste from cleaning out my shed to the main active dump area, I was confronted rather gruffly by one of your equipment operators about my sidearm.  I attempted to politely, but firmly, explain that Shreveport has no laws authorizing the dump to be a firearm free zone, but he was rather adamant.  I put forth that we agree to disagree, but he apparently was not satisfied with this, as when I reached the weigh station, the attendant had been instructed by the office personnel to inform me that firearms were not allowed at the facility.  I again politely informed her that her instructions were in error, though likely well intentioned, and resolved to address the issue with your office.        

It so happens that I have my finger on the pulse, so to speak, of Louisiana self defense issues.  I am the webmaster of our State’s gun rights informational web site, http://louisianacarry.org (not affiliated with any State agency, purely a volunteer organization), and also a member of the [name removed for web posting], which puts on the area gun shows (non-profit also, we donate all proceeds to local entities in need, and particularly have a several decade long history of helping the city fund various projects over the years).   That being the case, I was not particularly upset with the incident today for my own sake, knowing that there was no real legal concern.  I am concerned for the City’s sake, though.  If (heaven forbid) an employee were to be more forceful about their impression of a firearm prohibition and the event potentially resulted in a false arrest of legally armed citizen as a result of misinformation given to officers  (knowing several of SPD’s officers as I do, I think and hope that an unlikely end result, but if it were to come about), this would quite likely result in civil action, and our City’s budget is so stretched already.  

As to the necessary details of how it can be specifically and efficiently ascertained that there is indeed not any, nor could there be any, enforceable regulations regarding a law abiding armed citizen utilizing the facility, I thought I would provide a bit of additional detail.  The State of Louisiana enacted a law providing for state-wide preemption of all local firearm laws, with a few specific exemptions.  That law can be viewed on the Legislative Web Portal here: [RS 40:1796  Preemption of state law].   Barring a law passed prior to the date of that law, which is absent from Shreveport’s Code of Ordinances [there is a searchable database of the City Code here: Shreveport Code of Ordinances], it only allows for the prohibition of firearms from municipal buildings themselves, rather than outdoor facilities and such similar holdings.  I have no need to enter the office building at Woolworth Rd, so I am unaware of whether there is a administrative rule regarding carrying in that facility, but I may need to use the dump site itself again.  I hope and trust that the Division will address this training issue and prevent any future distasteful interactions of this type in the future.  

Self defense being about as fundament a human right as can be possibly conceived, my natural inclination, believing the best in people as a rule, is that this information will be well received and promptly acted upon.  I have most often been proud of Shreveport in the past regarding the prompt attention to civil rights matters in the past, and think that this case will be resolved just as satisfactorily.  If I may be of any further assistance to your office or the City’s attorney in providing any further information, either about the incident or possibly providing links to additional legislative resources, please do not hesitate to contact me.  My phone number is (318) 773-XXXX and my mailing address is P.O. Box 8026, Shreveport, LA  71148.  

If you would be so kind, and if it proves possible, I would sincerely appreciate your appraising me of the status of the resolution of this issue.  Again, I do not want you to feel like this is an angry letter at all.  Your people all do an excellent job, and I want to thank you again for doing so.  Lord knows the City would be unlivable in a matter of days without the hard work you all put in.

Sincerely,

Micha Petty

This sort of thing really upsets me. In our entire national history, the right to bear arms is permeated throughout our culture. And yet, in spite of supportive local ordinances (as if they were necessary!), indeed most fly in face of the Bill of Rights, some folks think that they can tell others what to do, mostly on a local clam bake basis.

Any citizen (citizen being defined as any law abiding individual without felony conviction) may carry a fully loaded firearm for self defense.

Local cities, counties, et cetera, have created unconstitutional legislation over the past 150 years or so, attempting to restrict the rights of citizens, while ignoring the fact the felons simply don't give a flying $^@#. They WILL continue to rob and kill you and your family members, unless you are armed.

This is as true today as it was in 1160, for instance. What happened in 1160? Anybody sufficiently armed was not a victim of foul play.