• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting NC just had a question about OC if someone could help!

etnies20

imported post

Hello, i'm visiting Wilmington NC with some friendsin the next few days. I will be staying there for about four days. I was just wondering if anyone knew if it was legal for an out of state resident to OC? I heard it was because there was no liscense required to do so. Also, do you think I will get hassled for it? Where can't I carry? Any help would be great, thanks!

Dreamer

imported post

Yes, if you are over the age of 18 and legally allowed under state and federal law to possess a handgun, then you can OC in NC, even if you are not a resident. But be careful when you're transporting it in your car. It needs to be in "plain view", not concealed, or under the seat, or in the glovebox.

Then again, IANAL...

Call the NC Attorney General's office for the "official" scoop:

http://www.ncdoj.gov/getdoc/574f3c13-38d8-4368-8aad-1b30a6b47985/Legal-Services.aspx

etnies20

imported post

I'll defiantly look over those. Thanks for the help I really appreciate it!

Dreamer

imported post

Oh, there are a few weird things with NC OC law that are sort of unique to NC...

You CANNOT carry--OC or CC--in any venue that charges admission. This includes sporting events, concerts, and movie theaters.

You CANNOT carry--OC or CC--in any establishment that sells alcohol for consumption on premise. That means ANY restaurant that sells beer or wine, not just bars. Appleby's is off-limits. So are most Mexican and Italian restaurants. Know your menus, know the law... ;)

Even if you DO have a concealed-carry permit, you CANNOT CC in a bank in NC. You can OC, but a LOT of banks have "NO GUNS" signs, so keep your eyes open.

And of course there is the school ban issue, so be careful if you're in a city with a college or university. Cities like Raleigh, Greenville, and Fayetteville are RIDDLED with college-owned property--and you CANNOT have a firearm on school property in NC. And the campus police for NC colleges and universities are NOTORIOUSLY agressive with pursuing this sort of thing.

You CANNOT carry--OC or CC on the public property of the city of Cary--not on sidewalks, streets, or in parks. (I've always thought that was REALLY ironic--you can't carry in Cary...)

Most folks are pretty cool with OC here in NC--provided you are white, male, and well-groomed. If you have long hair, or lots of tats, or dress like a hoodrat, or you are a minority, then I can pretty much GUARANTEE that YMMV, and that sucks. I'll admit I'm a carpetbagger--I grew up in WV--but the level of subtle (and not-so-subtle) racism that is endemic in the culture down here is a little disturbing to me at times--and I'm about the biggest "cracker" you'll ever meet.

So if you are a minority, watch your step, dress nicely, and CARRY A VOICE RECORDER. I know that sucks, but it's a dirty reality. Until some police or businesses get successfully sued over civil rights violations, I don't see the LEA's, businesses, or citizens down here doing anything to remedy the situation...

Good luck, and enjoy your trip. There are some VERY beautiful places in this state, and the people can be VERY cordial and friendly. And we have the best BBQ on the east coast... :celebrate

mrjam2jab

imported post

Dreamer wrote: You CANNOT carry--OC or CC--in any establishment that sells alcohol for consumption on premise. That means ANY restaurant that sells beer or wine, not just bars. Appleby's is off-limits. So are most Mexican and Italian restaurants. Know your menus, know the law..

When are you guys gonna fix that? ;)

I dont even drink, but i cant go to dinner at my friends' favorite restaurant unless i leave the gun at their house.

chiefjason

imported post

Dreamer
You CANNOT carry--OC or CC on the public property of the city of Cary--not on sidewalks, streets, or in parks. (I've always thought that was REALLY ironic--you can't carry in Cary...)
[/quote]

I want to add to this. The CC clause is unlawful. I emailed Mr. Clifton with the city of Cary. They have since removed the sidewalks and streets from the areas off limits for CC. CC Uniformity code does NOT give them permission to do that. It is very limited in the scope of areas they can make off limits. Here is the link with Mr. Clifton's response and the new firearms info from the city website.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=33615&forum_id=41&jump_to=570236#p570236

mrjam2jab, we tried last year and it got shot down. Hopefully try again this year. It's ridiculous.