• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Switzerland outlaws ammo in homes.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Agovernment that is large enough to provide for all your needs is also large enough to take it all away!

Yata hey

Grapey, I fixed it for you

Yah Hey! <yooper dialect
(no offense is meant to the OCDO member that use the name Yooper, we all speak that way in the snow-belt of the upper midwest)

Virginiaplanter

imported post

Now is the perfect time for the US to invade Switzerland and claim it as the 51st state. We get all their good chocolate and what are the Swiss going to do about it? They can't shoot us, and their Swiss army knives have wine bottle openers on them. That's the kind of "Army" knife you get from a country that doesn't fight in wars and is neutered, I mean Neutral.

wrightme

imported post

From the other thread he started about this same topic......

Rogue9er wrote: [/b]
Just talked to a Swiss guy about this. Apparently, they're just moving most of the government issued ammo to something like a base or the town hall. Private ammo and sales are not affected.

Also, it's two years old.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Nutczak wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Agovernment that is large enough to provide for all your needs is also large enough to take it all away!

Yata hey

Grapey, I fixed it for you

Yah Hey! <yooper dialect
(no offense is meant to the OCDO member that use the name Yooper, we all speak that way in the snow-belt of the upper midwest)
Nah, you didn't fix it, you changed it, but close enough to not worry about.

I'm familiar with the UP - hardy bunch of souls in the extreme northern parts.

Yata hey

paramedic70002

imported post

Virginiaplanter wrote:
Now is the perfect time for the US to invade Switzerland and claim it as the 51st state. We get all their good chocolate and what are the Swiss going to do about it? They can't shoot us, and their Swiss army knives have wine bottle openers on them. That's the kind of "Army" knife you get from a country that doesn't fight in wars and is neutered, I mean Neutral.

Neutrality has it's upside. I don't recall terrorists attacking the Swiss recently. There's nothing wrong with taking care of the home front and letting the rest of the world alone. When the USA was still wet behind the ears, Washington and Co. refused to assist various European powers in their petty squabbles. The USA was doing just fine until we decided to be a world player, it's been downhill ever since.

Tomahawk

imported post

paramedic70002 wrote:
Virginiaplanter wrote:

Neutrality has it's upside. I don't recall terrorists attacking the Swiss recently. There's nothing wrong with taking care of the home front and letting the rest of the world alone. When the USA was still wet behind the ears, Washington and Co. refused to assist various European powers in their petty squabbles. The USA was doing just fine until we decided to be a world player, it's been downhill ever since.
I've never understood the mentality of someone who thinks that staying out of trouble and minding your own business makes you a coward.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
paramedic70002 wrote:
Virginiaplanter wrote:

I've never understood the mentality of someone who thinks that staying out of trouble and minding your own business makes you a coward.
I agree.

To be honest, I probably would do something to stop a horrible crime if I felt it was within my power.

But, I really don't plan for such unlikely events. And, I avoid getting involved in other's business.

At any rate, the analogy to neutrality is a good one, and it underlines my suggestion that this "sheepdog" mentality is a front for the statist/interventionist philosophy, which is fundamentally incompatible with liberty, I might add.

There's nothing wrong with helping people, and there's nothing wrong with professions which entail helping people (actual security, public or private, fire, what have you), but this "we need to look out for the sheep" mentality is proto-statist to the max.

I don't want to see people hurt if I can easily stop it, but I also don't want to play bodyguard to a bunch of free Americans who should be taking care of their own defense.

Only nanny-tyrants think otherwise.

Edit: OK, I just made that post thinking this was the latest "Sheepdog" thread. I'm going to leave it for it's own sake.

I think I need to stop posting tonight. Too much brew! :p

Tomahawk

imported post

marshaul wrote:
Edit: OK, I just made that post thinking this was the latest "Sheepdog" thread. I'm going to leave it for it's own sake.

I think I need to stop posting tonight. Too much brew! :p

It's okay, it still applies, and it's still true.

Too many people think of the US as the "World's Sheepdog". And your analysis of the "sheepdog mentality" is spot on.

heliopolissolutions

imported post

Oy blagoy.

All ribbing aside, I most emphatically would not want to be the guy leading the charge to invade Switzerland.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
On the other hand isolationism didn't work either.

Yata hey

Tomahawk

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:

Yata hey

No, but as Switzerland has shown, noninterventionism can work quite well. The only place they send troops to is the Vatican, and they remain quite secure. I don't see anyone flying planes into skyscrapers in Geneva.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:

Yata hey

No, but as Switzerland has shown, noninterventionism can work quite well. The only place they send troops to is the Vatican, and they remain quite secure. I don't see anyone flying planes into skyscrapers in Geneva.
Is true for now. They occupy a unique niche in the world and any potential enemy could simply choose to ignore them. That and they are already surrounded/contained. Conventional warfare methods would be the least of their worries if someone targeted them

Yata hey

Tomahawk

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:

Yata hey

Is true for now. They occupy a unique niche in the world and any potential enemy could simply choose to ignore them. That and they are already surrounded/contained. Conventional warfare methods would be the least of their worries if someone targeted them

Yata hey

Yes, well, the best way to win a fight is to not get into one in the first place. "Plan A"

While quietly preparing to defend yourself (plan B) in case plan A fails.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
SNIP I don't see anyone flying planes into skyscrapers in Geneva.

Heh, heh, heh. Only because the fur-pants boys with rags on their heads haven't figured out that one of the real powers is based in Basel--The Bank for International Settlements (the central bankers' bank).

Of course, Washington DC would go on their list again since the International Monetary Fund is headquarted in DC.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
The drones shooting missiles at weddings in Pakistan and Afghanistan don't have "IMF" painted on the sides.

Good point. We need to make the connection for them, no? (joke)

Maybe we could get a law through Congress that all US explosive ordnance must bear thewords, "Financed By the Federal Reserve."

:)

(joke, folks.)

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:

Yata hey

+1

I'm not quite sure whence comes the eager conflation...