• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Confused in California

Gundude

imported post

I recently started UOC. So far no one has pissed their pants, ran off screaming for the nearest exit, dropped to their knees and started praying to their creator, or evencalled 911. A few people looked at my gun, and hadno reaction. As of this date, no one has even approached about it. Most don't even notice. I'm thinking of calling the local sheriff and reporting that I saw a guy in the local market carrying a gun to see what they say about it. What I haven't seen is a thread here that someone was prosecuted for legal UOC. The worst case I saw, was the guy in the mall in El Cajon that was taken to the local police station, while the cops tried to find something to charge him with. Has anyone ever been procecuted andsent to prisonfor UOC? I haven't seen any reports about that. Please enlighten me.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Theseus is currently being tried for being within 1000' of a school. There's a thread which will probably be rising to the top today since I believe yet another court meeting was scheduled for this morning.

Then there was bobbarker who was prosecuted for carrying in oceanside. Oceanside has a city law which says you can't carry guns around, except that is preempted by state law, so the attorney assigned to prosecute that case eventually gave up.

Turns out, it's hard to be arrested for doing legal things.

Edit: Actually lemme rephrase that last line, it's easy to be arrested, it's hard to be found guilty by a jury of your peers.

MudCamper

Founder's Club Member
imported post

bigtoe416 wrote:
Edit: Actually lemme rephrase that last line, it's easy to be arrested, it's hard to be found guilty by a jury of your peers.
Actually this isn't true. In Theseus' case for example, the judge is anti-gun and is suppressing most of Theseus' defense arguments. While this would guarantee a win on appeal, Theseus can't afford an appeal.

So, count on corrupt DA's and judges. Be VERY careful out there people.

TriSum

imported post

MudCamper wrote:
bigtoe416 wrote:
Actually this isn't true. In Theseus' case for example, the judge is anti-gun and is suppressing most of Theseus' defense arguments. While this would guarantee a win on appeal, Theseus can't afford an appeal.

So, count on corrupt DA's and judges. Be VERY careful out there people.
This is BS. If he could truly win this and is in the right, then I would think with 21 + thousand members here we could each pitch in a few bucks. How much could an appeal run ??? The cost of a few bullets each.

Have him (or someone) set up a trust for his legal fees. Whatever is not used can go towards the next persons defense.

Unfortunately, I'm new here and do not know all of the circumstances, but if this is something where he is in the right, doing something we are all here supporting I would think this is the least we could do.

David

coolusername2007

imported post

TriSum wrote:
This is BS. If he could truly win this and is in the right, then I would think with 21 + thousand members here we could each pitch in a few bucks. How much could an appeal run ??? The cost of a few bullets each.

Have him (or someone) set up a trust for his legal fees. Whatever is not used can go towards the next persons defense.

Unfortunately, I'm new here and do not know all of the circumstances, but if this is something where he is in the right, doing something we are all here supporting I would think this is the least we could do.

David

Welcome TriSum. Calguns is accepting donations on Theseus' behalf. Many have donated to this fund. Many more need to. I respectfully urge all those who believe in the open carry movement to funnel a few dollars into this fund. http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/component/content/article/36-current-legal-cases/67-donate-to-theseus-open-carry-case

Bull Frog

imported post

coolusername2007 wrote:
TriSum wrote:
This is BS. If he could truly win this and is in the right, then I would think with 21 + thousand members here we could each pitch in a few bucks. How much could an appeal run ???  The cost of a few bullets each. 

David

Unfortunately, this is NOT BS. Welcome to America, land of money grabbing officials who will gladly accept money to corrupt due process and screw you right into prison for a few bucks. Anyway they can, from speed traps to ... well, don't get me started.

There are bad people out there. Look out for them, but only shoot to protect your life or the lives of your loved ones. Judges are another matter; they are vested with powers that can take your liberty at a whim. They need to policed more carefully. whoops! I inserted my comment prematurely ...

Welcome TriSum.  Calguns is accepting donations on Theseus' behalf.  Many have donated to this fund.  Many more need to.  I respectfully urge all those who believe in the open carry movement to funnel a few dollars into this fund.  http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/component/content/article/36-current-legal-cases/67-donate-to-theseus-open-carry-case

Bull Frog

imported post

Lead Lobber wrote:
coolusername2007 wrote:
TriSum wrote:
This is BS. If he could truly win this and is in the right, then I would think with 21 + thousand members here we could each pitch in a few bucks. How much could an appeal run ???  The cost of a few bullets each. 

David

Unfortunately, this is NOT BS. Welcome to America, land of money grabbing officials who will gladly accept money to corrupt due process and screw you right into prison for a few bucks. Anyway they can, from speed traps to ... well, don't get me started.

There are bad people out there. Look out for them, but only shoot to protect your life or the lives of your loved ones. Judges are another matter; they are vested with powers that can take your liberty at a whim. They need to policed more carefully. whoops! I inserted my comment prematurely ...

Welcome TriSum.  Calguns is accepting donations on Theseus' behalf.  Many have donated to this fund.  Many more need to.  I respectfully urge all those who believe in the open carry movement to funnel a few dollars into this fund.  http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/component/content/article/36-current-legal-cases/67-donate-to-theseus-open-carry-case

My comments were inserted incorrectly ... :uhoh: please pretend my wisdom is here (wisdom?)

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

bigtoe416 wrote:
...Then there was bobbarker who was prosecuted for carrying in oceanside. Oceanside has a city law which says you can't carry guns around, except that is preempted by state law, so the attorney assigned to prosecute that case eventually gave up...
Just to clarify, he was never prosecuted, only arrested and threatened with prosecution.

Thesues is the only one I know of so far.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Lead Lobber wrote:
Anyway they can, from speed traps to ... well, don't get me started.
Actually "speed traps" aren't a valid form of capturing evidence.

From the CVC

Code:
40804.  (a) In any prosecution under this code upon a charge
involving the speed of a vehicle, an officer or other person shall be
incompetent as a witness if the testimony is based upon or obtained
from or by the maintenance or use of a speed trap.
where a speed trap is defined as

Code:
(a) A "speed trap" is either of the following:
(1) A particular section of a highway measured as to distance and
with boundaries marked, designated, or otherwise determined in order
that the speed of a vehicle may be calculated by securing the time it
takes the vehicle to travel the known distance.
(2) A particular section of a highway with a prima facie speed
limit that is provided by this code or by local ordinance under
subparagraph (A) of paragraph (2) of subdivision (a) of Section
22352, or established under Section 22354, 22357, 22358, or 22358.3,
if that prima facie speed limit is not justified by an engineering
and traffic survey conducted within five years prior to the date of
the alleged violation, and enforcement of the speed limit involves
the use of radar or any other electronic device that measures the
speed of moving objects.  This paragraph does not apply to a local
street, road, or school zone.

pullnshoot25

imported post

Correctamundo on the speed traps. I have gotten out of a few tickets with that defense.

Gundude, my brother did call the cops not too long ago and the dispatcher just said "it's legal." The cops down here in SD are fairly well trained on it.