• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry in vehicles

Gizmoe142

imported post

Just wondering what all the rules are for carry a visible or concealed firearm in a vehicle. As i understand it is legal to carry openly as long as it is totally visible.

What about in a gun case, behind the seat, under the seat, in the trunk or toolbox? Also the glove compartment?

I understood that as long as the firearm was in a separate case (could not be on your person) and did not have a bullet loaded in the chamber (loaded mag next to it is fine), it was legal to carry concealed without a permit.

Just making sure this is still the case. Thanks in advance for your responces

Thelukaskezik

imported post

and as a follow-up question - does it have to be in a holster in the vehicle?

(i watched an episode of COPS - great place to learn laws, i know... not. - and i dont know where the video was from, but an officer pulled over a young man who said "i have a gun in the car with me here." so the officer pulled the guy out of the car just to get away from the gun while giving him the citation. the officer checked the gun and said "everything checks out. it's out in the open and in a holster which is law here in our state..." etc. just wondering if Idaho does the same as whatever state that was?)

9Shooter

imported post

Couldn't come up with a link to the actual code, but this should answer your question.

http://www2.state.id.us/ag/faq/concealedweaponspermit.htm#May%20I%20carry%20a%20firearm%20in%20my%20vehicle%20without%20a%20concealed%20weapons%20permit

May I carry a firearm in my vehicle without a concealed weapons permit?
You may carry a firearm in your vehicle inside the city limits or confines of a city, as long as it is in plain view, loaded or unloaded. But if you are going to conceal it, the firearm must be disassembled or unloaded.
If you are outside the city limits or confines of a city, and, if you are hunting, fishing, trapping or some other lawful outdoor activity, you are not required to have a concealed weapons permit.

This site may also provide some useful information:
http://www.usacarry.com/idaho_concealed_carry_permit_information.html

Gizmoe142

imported post

Great thanks for the info. Sounds like i had it right. One other question what is the states definition of unloaded?
I heard it ounce was "the gun cannot be discharged by less the two mechanical movements."

example: to fire a single action revolver you have to pull the hammer back (1) and pull the trigger (2) not less then two mechanical movements, legal

Example: to fire a double action semi automatic handgun, and there is one in the chamber all you have to do is pull the trigger (1) less then two mechanical movements, illegal
however if the saftety was on that would add an extra mechanical movement making that legal

also I have heard that a semi automatic with the mag laying next to it is concidered both disassembled and unloaded?

I have heard these argument from both an off duty Idaho police officer and an Idaho FFL licensee. I just want to verify if this is the case or not.

Thanks in advance for the clairification

9Shooter

imported post

I couldn't find anything in the way of a definition for either loaded or unloaded in Idaho. In other states there are posted definitions and it seems to be based on firearm type and steps necessary to make it function. A reasonably safe guess would be having the mag separate from the firearm. I'd probably recommend calling the sheriff's office unless someone else here can chime in with a source to answer this one.