• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Welcome to VA and Quantico

Mt Vernon .40

imported post

AEubanks wrote:
... I have my AR concealed permit and had intended on getting a VA CC permit. Seeing all those different guns at the store reminded me that I am no longer in CA with their god awful laws and I realized that I needed to look up VA's gun laws-- and am I glad I did ..."
Welcome to VA and this forum and thanks for your service

The Quantico MCX indeed has a fairly extensive gun counter and a very friendly and helpful staff.

You should be aware that the MCX gun counter will also will conduct FFL transfers; charge is $15 + $2 for the records check. It's a GREAT service!

AFAIK their only restriction is that that they won't do inbound transfers on barrels <3.5" (although my 3.46" Glock 27 was "ok")

Pay particular attention to the residency and ID requirements listed at VA Transaction Program; the MCX counter follows these to the "T."

(I saw one young Marine turned-away because his brand-new VA driver's license was <30 days old -- and he didn't have a copy of his PCS orders -- which would have allowed him to use his DoD CAC the "Primary ID" for a firearms purchase.)

Re: obtaining your VA CHP, you already have "demonstrated competence" iaw VA Requirements :
... Presenting evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or current military service or proof of an honorable discharge from any branch of the armed services ...
Lastly, you might want to check out the Quantico Shooting Club, there aren't too many 1,000-yard ranges available anywhere else. ;)

DocKen

imported post

Mt Vernon .40 wrote:
The Quantico MCX indeed has a fairly extensive gun counter and a very friendly and helpful staff.

You should be aware that the MCX gun counter will also will conduct FFL transfers; charge is $15 + $2 for the records check. It's a GREAT service!
Visiting Camp Allen MWR range here in Norfolk, got a chuckle out of the fact that the MCX biggest sellers were Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms!

I didn't know about transfers, although I knew the one down here in Norfolk sold them. I'm gonna have to check with them

Mt Vernon .40 wrote:
AFAIK their only restriction is that that they won't do inbound transfers on barrels <3.5" (although my 3.46" Glock 27 was "ok")

You should ask about this, as they might have changed. A couple of years ago, I was looking to add a Subcompact XD9 to my collection. They didn't sell anything less than a 3" barrel.

I was in the Norfolk MCX a couple of weeks ago, and they had some in stock. I asked the lady behind the counter, and she told me the policy was recently changed. Price was a little higher than shops out in town/gunshow, but I would rather buy from them then elsewhere if the deal works out.

Mt Vernon .40 wrote:

Lastly, you might want to check out the Quantico Shooting Club, there aren't too many 1,000-yard ranges available anywhere else. ;)
For anyone in Hampton Roads living or visiting, The MWR Range at Camp Allen near Norfolk Naval Station is a great range! They do IDPA competitions on Saturday mornings 1-2 times a month.

Camp Allen MWR Shooting Range

Marine Corps Exchange (MEX)

Mt Vernon .40

imported post

... You should ask [Quantico MCX] about this, as they might have changed. A couple of years ago, I was looking to add a Subcompact XD9 to my collection. They didn't sell anything less than a 3" barrel ...
I'm pretty sure on this one.

As recently as my last visit (22 September) they had a sign prominently posted stating, "No transfers on handguns w/ barrels <3.5."

The gent at the counter confirmed this policy, but stated that the restriction had recently been eased to allow transfers of sub-compact Glocks (which have 3.46" barrels).

While I didn't discuss the source of this restriction; I suspect it's a local MCX policy.

Many thanks for the Camp Allen info! :)

It's been a number of years since I was on Tidewater naval complex; is the Camp Allen MCX and Range on the "secure" or "public" side of the gate these days?

Thundar

imported post

Mt Vernon .40 wrote:

It's been a number of years since I was on Tidewater naval complex; is the Camp Allen MCX and Range on the "secure" or "public" side of the gate these days?
Camp Allen MCX is outside the gates, but the MCX Indoor range is inside a secure area. Never havd a problem bringing firearms to the range.

DocKen

imported post

I'll ask about the transfer restriction next time I'm in the Norfolk MCX. I'll also see if it is a store or MCX policy.

Shooting Range is not on the main NAVSTA complex, but in the housing area behind Joint Forces Compound, back by the school. It is on a small Marine complex with a USMC gate. You can actually see it on the left side of I-564 as you head towards the base.

I leave my handgun in the case, I don't carry on or off the compound, but wait until I'm off the base. Never had a problem or question.

kaiheitai17

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Mt Vernon .40 wrote:
... You should ask [Quantico MCX] about this, as they might have changed. A couple of years ago, I was looking to add a Subcompact XD9 to my collection. They didn't sell anything less than a 3" barrel ...
I'm pretty sure on this one.

As recently as my last visit (22 September) they had a sign prominently posted stating, "No transfers on handguns w/ barrels <3.5."

The gent at the counter confirmed this policy, but stated that the restriction had recently been eased to allow transfers of sub-compact Glocks (which have 3.46" barrels).

While I didn't discuss the source of this restriction; I suspect it's a local MCX policy.

I just returned from the Quantico PX. While there I stopped and the gun counter. I spoke to the sales clerk (guy has been working there for many years). He said the PX will not sell pistols with a barrel length of less that 3.5 inches (but the baby Glocks are okay). I asked if that was PX policy and he said it the base commander's policy. Probably one of those policies that some knucklehead put in effect many, many years ago and no one since has revisited the policy or its purpose (my speculation only).

Edit to correct grammar.

DocV

imported post

That policy has been around for at least 20 years. I tried to order a 2" S&W through the exchange in the early 90's and was told they couldn't do it because of the barrel length.

Mt Vernon .40

imported post

Thundar wrote:
Camp Allen MCX is outside the gates, but the MCX Indoor range is inside a secure area. Never havd a problem bringing firearms to the range.
Doh !!!

It just dawned on me that the "Camp Allen MCX" is the small MCX located along the north side of Terminal Ave.

Even though I was based down there a couple of times over the years (once lived right around the corner on AFSC) , I never knew it was called Camp Allen.

Thanks.