• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Freedom of Information Request to be made today

Edward Peruta

imported post

I have prepared and will deliver this FOI request to DPS today.

Friday, October 30, 2009 (Delivered by email and hand delivery to DPS Headquarters on this date)[/b]

Department of Public Safety
1111 Country Club Road
Middletown, CT. 06457

Re: Freedom of Information Request

Commissioner John Danaher III,

During the course of a two year investigation into the topic of carrying a firearm openly or concealed in Connecticut, I have reviewed countless written documents which reference the opinions of your department on this topic.

Obviously, with the United State Supreme Court considering the issue of the Second Amendment and it’s application to the states, this issue is not going away, and will become a major topic sometime between now and June 30, 2010.

To further understand your department’s position and involvement in this topic, I am requesting prompt access to ALL written communications sent to or received by DPS employees, since January 1, 2007[/b], regarding the manner in which handguns are carried by individuals who possess permits to do so.

I would like to begin with prompt access to any and all:

Written or electronic communications sent or received between any member of DPS and employees or staff working with the Office of the Connecticut Attorney General.

Written or electronic communications sent or received between any member of DPS and employees or staff at the Connecticut Office of Legislative Research.

Written or electronic communications sent or received between any member of DPS and members of the State Legislature (House and Senate).

Written or electronic communications sent or received between any member of DPS and any employees or staff at the Office of Policy and Management.

Written or electronic communications sent or received between any staff members in the office of Governor Jodi Rell.

Written or electronic commutations sent or received between members or staff of DPS regarding past and future proposed legislation on the topic of concealment of handguns/firearms.

This request includes[/b] all written or electronic communications sent or received by members or staff in the DPS legal unit[/b], with the understanding that documents relating to pending claims and litigation may be redacted prior to being produced and/or examined.

I further request that any and all hard copy or electronic documents which are subject to this request, be properly accounted for by DPS with any reason(s) DPS may consider requested documents privileged. If in fact DPS has documents it considers privileged, I request that DPS provide a brief reason for claiming same for each and every document which is claimed to be exempt.

I will be leaving the State of Connecticut for an extended stay in California early next week and authorize Attorney Rachel M. Baird, of Torrington, CT, and possibility others upon written notice[/b] to act in my behalf regarding this request.

Should you have any questions or suggestions on how to promptly comply and proceed with this request, I request that all communications be made to the undersigned by email or phone.

Respectfully,

Edward A. Peruta

American News and Information Services

edperuta@amcable.tv 860-978-5455

cc: Attorney Rachel M. Baird

Connecticut Citizen’s Defense League, Attn: Scott Wilson President