• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC and Hunting

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

eastmeyers wrote:
How does this work? Anything different about OC'ing while hunting, like how many rounds you may have?

Thanks for the help ya'll!

[align=left]If you are hunting with the handgun you need to follow the hunting rules. If carrying for self-defense then you are allowed to carry under CPL act.[/align]
[align=left][/align]
[align=center]NATURAL RESOURCES AND ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 451 of 1994[/align]

324.504 Department of natural resources; rules for protection of lands and property; certain rules prohibited; orders; violation as civil infraction; fine.

Sec. 504.(1) The department shall promulgate rules for the protection of the lands and property under its control against wrongful use or occupancy as will ensure the carrying out of the intent of this part to protect the lands and property from depredations and to preserve the lands and property from molestation, spoilation, destruction, or any other improper use or occupancy.

(2) This section does not allow the department to promulgate a rule that applies to commercial fishing except as otherwise provided by law.

(3) The department shall not promulgate or enforce a rule that prohibits an individual who is licensed or exempt from licensure under 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.421 to 28.435, from carrying a pistol in compliance with that act, whether concealed or otherwise, on property under the control of the department.

(4) The department shall issue orders necessary to implement rules promulgated under this section. These orders shall be effective upon posting.

(5) A person who violates a rule promulgated under this section or an order issued under this section is responsible for a state civil infraction and may be ordered to pay a civil fine of not more than $500.00.
History: 1994, Act 451, Eff. Mar. 30, 1995 ;-- Am. 1996, Act 171, Imd. Eff. Apr. 18, 1996 ;-- Am. 2004, Act 130, Imd. Eff. June 3, 2004
Popular Name: Act 451
Popular Name: NREPA
Admin Rule: R 299.291a et seq. and R 299.921 et seq. of the Michigan Administrative Code.

The rules listed below may not apply to a person having a concealed pistol license (CPL) or a person specifically exempt by law from a CPL and carrying their handgun in accordance with their license or exemption.

• A person must be at least 18 years of age to hunt with (possess) a handgun.
  • Handguns cannot be borrowed or loaned to another person other than provided for under the CPL.
  • While in the field, handguns must be carried in plain view. Carrying a handgun in a holster in plain view is permitted.
  • You may transport your registered handguns while en route to and from your hunting or target shooting area; however, handguns, including BB guns larger than .177 caliber and all pellet guns must be unloaded and in a closed case designed for the storage of firearms and cannot be readily accessible to any occupant of the vehicle.
  • It is a crime for certain felons to possess firearms, including rifles and shotguns, in Michigan.
  • Nonresidents must have a CPL issued by their home state in their possession in order to legally carry or transport a handgun in Michigan.

For more information regarding statewide handgun regulations, obtaining a concealed pistol license or Michigan concealed weapons and firearms laws, contact your local police department

Michigander

imported post

Venator wrote:
(3) The department shall not promulgate or enforce a rule that prohibits an individual who is licensed or exempt from licensure under 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.421 to 28.435, from carrying a pistol in compliance with that act, whether concealed or otherwise, on property under the control of the department.
It seems to me that that very law says that registration is a "license to carry." And it makes no mention of state parks or state land being off limits to carry.

So doesn't this apply to anyone with a legal registered pistol?

Venator

imported post

Michigander wrote:
Venator wrote:
It seems to me that that very law says that registration is a "license to carry." And it makes no mention of state parks or state land being off limits to carry.

So doesn't this apply to anyone with a legal registered pistol?
Seems to me it should. MCL 28.421 to 28.435 covers all the handgun requirements not just concealed carry.

SlowDog

imported post

For the last 10 years or so I have carried my Ruger 44 mag on my leg over my hunting clothes and was only hassled once in the UP near Muinising....Told me it was against local ordinance to walk around with it out in the open like it was. I found out he was from Illinois and a retired Chicago PD. I informed him it was legal because Michigan was an open carry state unlike his beloved Chicago,Ill. I informed him that since Michigan had preemption I was in the right and to have nice day...Just Sayin :cool:

Haman J.T.

imported post

Hunting Rules Page 26- License Requirement-Possession of Firearms,Crossbows and Arrows- Ahunting license is not required when target practicing or sighting-in a firearm at an identifiable,artificially constructed target,and there is no attempt to take game. A hunting license is not required for the carrying of a pistol for personal protection by a camper,hiker or person engaged in other recreational activities if there is no attempt to take game.

Carry a hunting rule book with you on state lands or you can print out the pages from the DNR web site.

The CPL rules cover CC.

SlowDog

imported post

Wanna see a LEO/DNR officers eyes bug out of his head.....pull a pistol from hip OC holster and put it into a Shoulder rig under your coat. hehehehehehe

Wglide90

imported post

I have hunted with my S&W 44 mags for over twenty years. I carry one, most time two, one one leg and the scoped one across chest for the long shots out at 100 yards.

One year two of my buddies were hassled by DNR, I stayed in the woods out of sight, HA, but my bud had his coat partly over the pistol butt and the DNR freaked out, drew on him and made him uncover. Well he knew better so it was his fault, but the DRN was frantic, it was a woman too, so it was a weird situation. In the end she calmed down and left them alone. Well.... after settling the issue she came out for in the first place.

I heard all this going on just stayed in my natural blind I made up. I was really anticipaing DNR showing up anyway since the other, ehm, buddy of ours actually took someone's made blind from day before opening day. We told him don't go in there he went anyway. So, I know there was going to be trouble when the guy came that made the blind. It really sucked and this, ehm, buddy always would show up on our hunting trips and screw something up. Dam idiot!. Ruined opening day.

Anyway, I'm carrying a 7.5" w/red dot 1x scope S&W 44 and a 6" S&W 44 open sightsthis year. I gave up rifle deer hunting in Mich a long time ago. Pistol hunting is more challenging. Anyway, I just like shootingmag revolvers.

T Vance

imported post

Wglide90 wrote:
since the other, ehm, buddy of ours actually took someone's made blind from day before opening day. We told him don't go in there he went anyway. So, I know there was going to be trouble when the guy came that made the blind. It really sucked and this, ehm, buddy always would show up on our hunting trips and screw something up. Dam idiot!. Ruined opening day.
I'm assuming this was on state land. Out of respect he shouldn't have taken the other guys blind, but I don't think there is anything lawfully they could do is there?

Yooper

imported post

eastmeyers wrote:
How does this work? Anything different about OC'ing while hunting, like how many rounds you may have?

About the only difference I can think of is that you can't carry a handgun while bow hunting unless you have a CPL.

But as far as hunting with a handgun, and carrying a handgun for self defense, it should be the same, except you can't hunt large game with a .22

Venator

imported post

Yooper wrote:
eastmeyers wrote:

About the only difference I can think of is that you can't carry a handgun while bow hunting unless you have a CPL. ARE YOU SURE OF THIS? I thought this was changed.

But as far as hunting with a handgun, and carrying a handgun for self defense, it should be the same, except you can't hunt large game with a .22

Yooper

imported post

Venator wrote:
Yooper wrote:
eastmeyers wrote:

About the only difference I can think of is that you can't carry a handgun while bow hunting unless you have a CPL. ARE YOU SURE OF THIS? I thought this was changed.

From the DNR website:

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10366_37141_37706-31578--,00.html
[size="-1"][font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"]Archery Deer Seasons
During the archery deer seasons, it is illegal to carry afield a pistol, revolver or other firearm while bow hunting for deer.
Exceptions:
This prohibition does not apply to pistols carried under authority of a concealed pistol license or properly carried under authority of a specific exception from the requirement of a concealed pistol license. However, a concealed pistol license does not authorize the individual to use the pistol to take game except as provided by law.
[/font]
[/size]

[size="-1"][font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"]
[/font]
[/size]

PDinDetroit

imported post

Venator wrote:
Yooper wrote:
eastmeyers wrote:

You still need a CPL, from what I read:

Archery Deer Seasons
During the archery deer seasons, it is illegal to carry afield a pistol, revolver or other firearm while bow hunting for deer.
Exceptions: This prohibition does not apply to pistols carried under authority of a concealed pistol license or properly carried under authority of a specific exception from the requirement of a concealed pistol license. However, a concealed pistol license does not authorize the individual to use the pistol to take game except as provided by law.

Wglide90

imported post

T Vance wrote:
Wglide90 wrote:
since the other, ehm, buddy of ours actually took someone's made blind from day before opening day. We told him don't go in there he went anyway. So, I know there was going to be trouble when the guy came that made the blind. It really sucked and this, ehm, buddy always would show up on our hunting trips and screw something up. Dam idiot!. Ruined opening day.
I'm assuming this was on state land. Out of respect he shouldn't have taken the other guys blind, but I don't think there is anything lawfully they could do is there?

Ya T Vance,

It was State land, and no one owns any spot declared as a blind. It's first come first serve, but curtesy to other hunters should trump that, IMO. That was his excuse to screw theother guy and take his spot just because we got there earlier.

We told him not to do it, to be curtious, but he wasn't so inclined so the guy came and he got mad and went to the DNR. Like I said this "buddy" found a way to screw something up every time. Luckily I haven't seen him in years. DNR couldn't make him leave butit screwed up the area and the opening day hunt, with all the noise and comotion. I was really pissed.

Anyway, OC in hunting is legal as long as it is in plain view at all times and is transported properly and all these other special cases are in order. W/CPL you can CC while hunting.

Jblack44

imported post

I've been carrying while bowhunting this year. I do have a CPL and I'm hunting private property so there hasn't been any issues.

Wideglide, I'm a fellow hundgun hunter as well! I started back in 1994. I have a Ruger Super Blackhawk 7.5" in .44 mag. I've done iron sights, a regular scope, and now I have a red dot on it. Great gun that's killed several deer and a black bear. I got into handloading for awhile. Used Hornady XTP's then switched to a cast swc that will blow thru pretty much anything. Shot out to 100yds aren't out of the question. I do use a shotgun on occasion, but carry the 44 in a shoulder rig

Wglide90

imported post

Hey Jblack44, fellow handgunner hunter.

I sighted this one in a couple weeks ago and here is the process I used. I bought it new and I have a break-in process that works for me, so I broke in bore and got it sighted-in in 4 cyl loads. I have to go out one more time to verify for 100 yrds.

I have a "Burnishing" process for new bores, I feel it keeps the bore shinny and easy to clean.

Range report:

Gun:
M629-4 Performance Center Master Hunter 7 1/2" Magna ported 44 Mag.

Ammo: 24 rounds, Rem 240gr JSP.

Distance:
25 yds indoors

Process: Swab bore w/solvent damp patch and firing. Clean bore and dampen again for next shot. Repeat for the entire cyl of 6.

So I did this for first cyl, while moving the sight to right toward center. I shot 24 rounds in all and the 4th set of 6 are centered in 1.75" group, plus the last round from cyl load 3. So 7 in that group. Here's the summary and Pics: (I label each set of six rounds by Cyl#, where 1x (is first) and 1s are first 6, the 2s are 2nd and so on)

Cyl1: round 1x first shot (ever!), 1 above it in 8. I moved scope right 1/4 turn. (Keep in mind I'm swabbing with damp patch, each time)
Next 1, 1 are in 9, I moved scope 1/4 turn right.
Next 1, 1 are X and 10.
2 adjustments in Cyl1

Cyl2: 2 was far right so I move back and over adjusted so I slowly moved back to right and after 3 adjustments I was close. I was cleaning bore damp then dry after shots on cyl2.
Total cyl1&2 adjustments to 5.

Cyl3: 3,3,3,3 all line up vertically, but to left slightly. Made adjustment 1 click to right. These are high at 25 yds because I expect at 100 it will be on X.
3 was close then last 3 was where I wanted it.
Total adjustsments 6.
Cleaned bore again.

Cyl4: All 6 in 1.75" no cleaning.
MasterHunterBreakInCleaningSight-9.jpg

MasterHunterBreakInCleaningSight-6.jpg

Ultra Dot Red dot
MasterHunterBreakInCleaningSight-3.jpg

MasterHunterBreakInCleaningSight-5.jpg

Lead Burn
MasterHunterBreakInCleaningSight-4.jpg

MasterHunterBreakInCleaningSight-13.jpg

Birchwood-Casey Lead Burn wipe
MasterHunterBreakInCleaningSight-12.jpg

10 minutes later.
MasterHunterBreakInCleaningSight-11.jpg

Anyway, I'm getting stoked to get out in couple weeks. I got a 8 pt a couple years ago with the 6" S&W Classic Hunter with this scope.

Venator

imported post

Yooper wrote:
Venator wrote:
Yooper wrote:
eastmeyers wrote:

From the DNR website:

[size=-1][font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"]Archery Deer Seasons
Exceptions:
This prohibition does not apply to pistols carried under authority of a concealed pistol license or properly carried under authority of a specific exception from the requirement of a concealed pistol license. However, a concealed pistol license does not authorize the individual to use the pistol to take game except as provided by law.
[/font]
[/size]
Would an exception from the requirement be to OC without a CPL???? Just saying.

Wglide90

imported post

Venator,

I get your point. I was wondering then why have this law at all. So I thought I remembered reading in here somewhere in a law, that there were specific exceptions. I have no idea what that would be but it seems like I remembered something like that. Not sure tho.

I would have thought I could carry and small game hunt with handgun at the same time as bow hunting.

PDinDetroit

imported post

Venator wrote:
Yooper wrote:
Venator wrote:
Yooper wrote:
eastmeyers wrote:

From the DNR website:

[size="-1"][font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"]Archery Deer Seasons
Exceptions:
[/font]
[/size]
Would an exception from the requirement be to OC without a CPL???? Just saying.
I don't think so. Here are the applicable MCL's:

324.43510 Carrying or transporting firearm, slingshot, bow and arrow, crossbow or trap; license required; exception; applicability to taking of wild animal.Sec. 43510.
(1) Subject to subsection (2) and except as provided in section 43513, a person shall not carry or transport a firearm, slingshot, bow and arrow, crossbow, or a trap while in any area frequented by wild animals unless that person has in his or her possession a license as required under this part.
(2) This act or a rule promulgated or order issued by the department or the commission under this act shall not be construed to prohibit a person from transporting a pistol or carrying a loaded pistol, whether concealed or not, if either of the following applies:
(a) The person has in his or her possession a license to carry a concealed pistol under 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.421 to 28.435.
(b) The person is authorized under the circumstances to carry a concealed pistol without obtaining a license to carry a concealed pistol under 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.421 to 28.435, as provided for under any of the following:
(i) Section 12a of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.432a.
(ii) Section 227, 227a, 231, or 231a of the Michigan penal code, 1931 PA 328, MCL 750.227, 750.227a, 750.231, and 750.231a.
(3) Subsection (2) does not authorize an individual to take or attempt to take a wild animal except as provided by law.

History: Add. 1995, Act 57, Imd. Eff. May 24, 1995 ;-- Am. 1996, Act 585, Eff. Mar. 1, 1997 ;-- Am. 2004, Act 129, Imd. Eff. June 3, 2004 ;-- Am. 2006, Act 433, Imd. Eff. Oct. 5, 2006
Popular Name: Act 451
Popular Name: NREPA

28.432a Persons to whom requirements inapplicable; "local corrections officer" defined.
Sec. 12a.
(1) The requirements of this act for obtaining a license to carry a concealed pistol do not apply to any of the following:
(a) A peace officer of a duly authorized police agency of the United States or of this state or a political subdivision of this state, who is regularly employed and paid by the United States or this state or a subdivision of this state, except a township constable.
(b) A constable who is trained and certified under the commission on law enforcement standards act, 1965 PA 203, MCL 28.601 to 28.616, while engaged in his or her official duties or going to or coming from his or her official duties, and who is regularly employed and paid by a political subdivision of this state.
(c) A person regularly employed by the department of corrections and authorized in writing by the director of the department of corrections to carry a concealed pistol during the performance of his or her duties or while going to or returning from his or her duties.
(d) A person regularly employed as a local corrections officer by a county sheriff, who is trained in the use of force and is authorized in writing by the county sheriff to carry a concealed pistol during the performance of his or her duties.
(e) A person regularly employed in a city jail or lockup who has custody of persons detained or incarcerated in the jail or lockup, is trained in the use of force, and is authorized in writing by the chief of police or the county sheriff to carry a concealed pistol during the performance of his or her duties.
(f) A member of the United States army, air force, navy, or marine corps while carrying a concealed pistol in the line of duty.
(g) A member of the national guard, armed forces reserves, or other duly authorized military organization while on duty or drill or while going to or returning from his or her place of assembly or practice or while carrying a concealed pistol for purposes of that military organization.
(h) A resident of another state who is licensed by that state to carry a concealed pistol.
(i) The regular and ordinary transportation of a pistol as merchandise by an authorized agent of a person licensed to manufacture firearms.
(j) A person while carrying a pistol unloaded in a wrapper or container in the trunk of his or her vehicle or, if the vehicle does not have a trunk, from transporting that pistol unloaded in a locked compartment or container that is separated from the ammunition for that pistol from the place of purchase to his or her home or place of business or to a place of repair or back to his or her home or place of business, or in moving goods from 1 place of abode or business to another place of abode or business.
(k) A peace officer or law enforcement officer from Canada.
(2) As used in this act, "local corrections officer" means that term as defined in section 2 of the local corrections officers training act, 2003 PA 125, MCL 791.532.

History: Add. 1964, Act 216, Eff. Aug. 28, 1964 ;-- Am. 1976, Act 102, Imd. Eff. Apr. 27, 1976 ;-- Am. 1978, Act 282, Imd. Eff. July 6, 1978 ;-- Am. 1978, Act 519, Imd. Eff. Dec. 19, 1978 ;-- Am. 2000, Act 381, Eff. July 1, 2001 ;-- Am. 2002, Act 719, Eff. July 1, 2003 ;-- Am. 2006, Act 559, Imd. Eff. Dec. 29, 2006
Popular Name: CCW
Popular Name: Concealed Weapons
Popular Name: Right to Carry
Popular Name: Shall Issue