• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC and Hunting

PDinDetroit

imported post

Wglide90 wrote:
Venator,

I get your point. I was wondering then why have this law at all. So I thought I remembered reading in here somewhere in a law, that there were specific exceptions. I have no idea what that would be but it seems like I remembered something like that. Not sure tho.

I would have thought I could carry and small game hunt with handgun at the same time as bow hunting.
The AskDNR site is no longer supported (recently take down), but I clearly remember that you cannot Small Game Hunt while the Bow/Crossbow is in your possession. You would have to take the Bow/Crossbow back to your vehicle and then you could Small Game Hunt.

If I could have done both, I would have had plenty of squirrels in the "daily bag" by now.

Yooper

imported post

PDinDetroit wrote:
Wglide90 wrote:
The AskDNR site is no longer supported (recently take down), but I clearly remember that you cannot Small Game Hunt while the Bow/Crossbow is in your possession. You would have to take the Bow/Crossbow back to your vehicle and then you could Small Game Hunt.

If I could have done both, I would have had plenty of squirrels in the "daily bag" by now.
You can hunt small game with a bow in your possession, as long as you're using the bow to hunt small game only, or if you're using a bow during the firearm deer season.

But to possess a firearm (other than CPL exemption) while bow hunting during a bow only season is not allowed.

Wglide90

imported post

How's this:

Onecould carry a revolver undera CPL, toss the bow in the bushes and shoot some squirrels. You know how dang noisy they are when you're deer huntin'. Bag the squirrels go get bow and have a quiet rest of the day and wait for the buck to wander by.

SlowDog

imported post

All you really need is a small game license. I have deer hunted in early AM and hunted rabbit's mid day then hunted deer that afternoon.

Outdoorsman

imported post

This response is for people with CPL's:

I asked the DNR this question "Can a person with a Concealed Pistol License (CPL) who is bow-hunting for deer during the archery season (in camouflage), carry his/her pistol in an openly exposed holster (open-carry), as long as there is no attempt to hunt game with the pistol?

Their response was...

Response (Terry Cook) - 09/01/2009 03:39 PM
As long as there is no attempt to take game and you are in compliance with the
restrictions (if any) of your CPL, a person with a CPL may carry either open or
concealed while bow hunting.

Michigan DNR
Law Enforcement Division

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Outdoorsman wrote:

I asked the DNR this question "Can a person with a Concealed Pistol License (CPL) who is bow-hunting for deer during the archery season (in camouflage), carry his/her pistol in an openly exposed holster (open-carry), as long as there is no attempt to hunt game with the pistol?

Their response was...

Michigan DNR
Law Enforcement Division
But what about people that don't have a CPL, can they OC while bow hunting and if not what is the rationale for allowing one and not the other?

Outdoorsman

imported post

I should have asked that part, but since I have a CPL, I phrased it that way as it pertained to me. It makes sense to me that if you're not attempting to take game with it, then you should be ok. But then again, I'm only voicing my opinion.

Outdoorsman

imported post

Outdoorsman wrote:
I should have asked that part, but since I have a CPL, I phrased it that way as it pertained to me. It makes sense to me that if you're not attempting to take game with it, then you should be ok. But then again, I'm only voicing my opinion.

The Michigan Hunting Guide states: "Archery Deer Seasons - During the archery deer seasons, it is illegal to carry afield a pistol, revolver or other firearm while bow hunting for deer.
Exceptions:
This prohibition does not apply to pistols carried under authority of a concealed pistol license or properly carried under authority of a specific exception from the requirement of a concealed pistol license. However, a concealed pistol license does not authorize the individual to use the pistol to take game except as provided by law."

The MSP website states: "[font="Arial, Helvetica"]MCL 750.227 allows you to carry a pistol concealed or not if you are in your own home or on your own property. If you do not own the land, no license is needed to carry a pistol as long as it is exposed. However, should a person cover the pistol during inclement weather with a jacket or coat or get into a vehicle, the pistol would be concealed, and the carrier would place himself in jeopardy unless he possessed a concealed pistol permit. Per Attorney General's opinion #3158 dated February 14, 1945, a holster, in plain view, is not considered concealed. Department of Natural Resources regulations require a person to have a valid Michigan hunting license if in an area inhabited by wildlife, while in possession of a firearm."[/font]

So I guess I really don't know the answer.

Yooper

imported post

Venator wrote:
Outdoorsman wrote:

Their response was...

Michigan DNR
Law Enforcement Division
But what about people that don't have a CPL, can they OC while bow hunting and if not what is the rationale for allowing one and not the other?
If you don't have a CPL you can not carry a firearm during a bow only season. The reason is because they don't want people to use firearms to shoot animals during the bow only season. The reason they "allow" CPL holders to do so is due to the laws that were passed a few years ago that strip the authority from the DNR to regulate the carrying of a weapon by those who possess a CPL.

Prior to that law, the DNR did not allow those who had CPL's to carry during a bow only season.

So if you live in Detroit area (aka Zone 3) where they have a limit on how many rounds you can carry in your handgun WHILE HUNTING, as long as you have your CPL and do not attempt to take game with the handgun, you can have as many rounds as you wish... Fortunately, that's an issue I don't have to deal with up here.

PDinDetroit

imported post

Yooper wrote:
Venator wrote:
Outdoorsman wrote:

Their response was...

Michigan DNR
Law Enforcement Division
If you don't have a CPL you can not carry a firearm during a bow only season. The reason is because they don't want people to use firearms to shoot animals during the bow only season. The reason they "allow" CPL holders to do so is due to the laws that were passed a few years ago that strip the authority from the DNR to regulate the carrying of a weapon by those who possess a CPL.

Prior to that law, the DNR did not allow those who had CPL's to carry during a bow only season.

So if you live in Detroit area (aka Zone 3) where they have a limit on how many rounds you can carry in your handgun WHILE HUNTING, as long as you have your CPL and do not attempt to take game with the handgun, you can have as many rounds as you wish... Fortunately, that's an issue I don't have to deal with up here.
There are a whole lot of "issues" you do not have to deal with living down here!

BTW - spoke with someone who hunts in the Escanaba Area and he said it is lousy with deer (meaning overrun). Have you ever hunted that area?

Yooper

imported post

PDinDetroit wrote:
There are a whole lot of "issues" you do not have to deal with living down here!

BTW - spoke with someone who hunts in the Escanaba Area and he said it is lousy with deer (meaning overrun). Have you ever hunted that area?
Never hunted near Esky, but up here on the Keweenaw, there's hardly any deer around. I haven't seen one in a couple months, which is strange because I usually get them dashing in front of me on my way home from work @ 2am.

I think the cold/heavy snow winter last year knocked the numbers down. In addition, the fawns were born really late (mid-late JULY!!). The wolves and coyotes are probably eating all they can handle with the fawns which still are really small.

If this winter is harsh, I think it's really going to hurt their numbers. But, on the other hand, last year it was hard to find any apples on the apple trees. I had seen only a couple of trees that produced, and they weren't good apples. This year, there's apples and acorns EVERYWHERE. I still have apples on several of my trees, which are usually bare by now.

Oh, and the DNR FINALLY (after 20+ years) is admitting their are mountain lions (aka cougars) roaming around the U.P.

PDinDetroit

imported post

Yooper wrote:
PDinDetroit wrote:

Never hunted near Esky, but up here on the Keweenaw, there's hardly any deer around. I haven't seen one in a couple months, which is strange because I usually get them dashing in front of me on my way home from work @ 2am.

I think the cold/heavy snow winter last year knocked the numbers down. In addition, the fawns were born really late (mid-late JULY!!). The wolves and coyotes are probably eating all they can handle with the fawns which still are really small.

If this winter is harsh, I think it's really going to hurt their numbers. But, on the other hand, last year it was hard to find any apples on the apple trees. I had seen only a couple of trees that produced, and they weren't good apples. This year, there's apples and acorns EVERYWHERE. I still have apples on several of my trees, which are usually bare by now.

Oh, and the DNR FINALLY (after 20+ years) is admitting their are mountain lions (aka cougars) roaming around the U.P.
The DNR website had Deer Forecast numbers and confirmed what you are saying. Most of what I saw this year was about 2 weeks late (crops and animals), so much for Global Warming. They still have plenty of OTC Doe Permits for DMU 055 (572 right now) which made me think about hunting up there (that and my brother's suggestion due to less people).

http://www.michigandnr.com/availablelicenses/default.asp?Type=D

Yeah, cougars are in the LP as well. I posted an experience here that occurred in August 2009 on the Iargo Springs Trail on the Au Sable River. I haven't seen the DNR update their pages on Cougars yet though.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10370_12145_43573---,00.html

Yooper

imported post

PDinDetroit wrote:

The DNR website had Deer Forecast numbers and confirmed what you are saying. Most of what I saw this year was about 2 weeks late (crops and animals), so much for Global Warming. They still have plenty of OTC Doe Permits for DMU 055 (572 right now) which made me think about hunting up there (that and my brother's suggestion due to less people).

Yeah, cougars are in the LP as well. I posted an experience here that occurred in August 2009 on the Iargo Springs Trail on the Au Sable River. I haven't seen the DNR update their pages on Cougars yet though.

http://www.uppermichiganssource.com/news/story.aspx?id=372123
http://www.uppermichiganssource.com/news/content.aspx?id=372121

PDinDetroit

imported post

Yooper wrote:
PDinDetroit wrote:

http://www.uppermichiganssource.com/news/story.aspx?id=372123
http://www.uppermichiganssource.com/news/content.aspx?id=372121
I'll bet they taste like chicken, just like the Tandoori Cat that the Indian Place down the street serves.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Hey Yooper, I frequent the lower U.P. in the summer, and get up to the Keweenaw in the winter (For riding the deep stuff on my longtracker near Twin Lakes)

For years Cougar sightings were common in and around Presque Isle WI, the DNR kept saying they do not exist. Finally someone hit one with their car. then the WIDNR stated it must be an escaped illegal pet.
Then some rabbit hunters treed a cougar near Hayward WI, they brought a few DNR people out the next day and treed the cat again. Now the DNR is finally admitting to them being in the area. I have almost hit one on my Snowmobile near Crystal falls about 10-12 years ago.

Theybig cats areout there, I have seen a few, and how can you explain away a deer carcass 15 feet up in a tree? I don't think the deer jumped up there to avoid being shot!!

the laws you guys have posted are contradictory at best, but mostly confusing. From my comprehension, they are merely trying to discourage a pistol being carried during an archery hunt, but no law states you cannot have a pistol with you!

T Vance

imported post

Nutczak wrote:
and how can you explain away a deer carcass 15 feet up in a tree? I don't think the deer jumped up there to avoid being shot!!
Hmmm....I saw a deer leg up in a tree a few years ago in Ann Arbor while walking in the woods. I always wondered why it was up there. Maybe this can explain it.

Yooper

imported post

Nutczak wrote:
Hey Yooper, I frequent the lower U.P. in the summer, and get up to the Keweenaw in the winter (For riding the deep stuff on my longtracker near Twin Lakes) Give me a pasty from Krupp's resort, and I'm in heaven!!!

For years Cougar sightings were common in and around Presque Isle WI, the DNR kept saying they do not exist. Finally someone hit one with their car. then the WIDNR stated it must be an escaped illegal pet.
Then some rabbit hunters treed a cougar near Hayward WI, they brought a few DNR people out the next day and treed the cat again. Now the DNR is finally admitting to them being in the area. I have almost hit one on my Snowmobile near Crystal falls about 10-12 years ago.

Theybig cats areout there, I have seen a few, and how can you explain away a deer carcass 15 feet up in a tree? I don't think the deer jumped up there to avoid being shot!!

the laws you guys have posted are contradictory at best, but mostly confusing. From my comprehension, they are merely trying to discourage a pistol being carried during an archery hunt, but no law states you cannot have a pistol with you! It's DNR regulations that state that. They even tried to keep CPL holders from carrying in state parks. But the legislature had some sense in removing any authority from the DNR to regulate when/where/how a CPL holder can carry his/her handgun. I just wish they would have gone farther and made it so the DNR can't restrict anyone (lawfully possessing of course) from possessing any firearm (again, as long as it's lawful) if there is no attempt to take game with the firearm, unless it is a season open to the use of that firearm, and the person attempting to take game has a hunting license.