• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Never shot more than a paintball gun growing up

melinuxfool

imported post

Growing up, I can't say I had much exposure to guns, if any at all. I've lived here in Maine my whole life but am not a hunter and nobody in my immediate family is. Not that I was raised in opposition to gun ownership, because we all certainly believe in the 2nd Amendment! It's just something that was never broached growing up.

I was wondering what advice the experts here might give to me, as I would like to learn a bit more and make a purchase. I'm particularly interested in any courses that might be available in my area (I live in Searsport). I stumbled across this site, and the message makes a lot of sense to me, a right not exercised is a right lost. An incident last year really made me realize that the area is not as safe as I had always perceived (Stockton Springs, a mere 8 miles from my house, was where that crazy fellow went in and held a group of kids hostage).

Anyway... on the subject of guns and ammo, I feel very uninformed and ignorant, know almost nothing about the tools themselves... what are your suggestions? I'd like something that won't throw me on my back when I pull the trigger. Hunting doesn't really interest me that much, so I'd be carrying for solely defensive purposes, and then not all the time, since I work in a public school and they frown on guns in schools.

Copper1225

imported post

There are so many choices out there. I would recommend first heading to your local gun store and seeing first what feels comfortable. And with any weapon the most important thing is to become familiar with every aspect of your weapon. And to practice practice practice. I myself am a fan of the .40.

GoldCoaster

imported post

You've already made more of a step than most people do, so you are to be commended on that.

If you go to a local gun shop, and perhaps other Mainers can steer him in the direction of a decent outfit?, you can see what you can learn there.

What you ought to do is sign up for the NRA basic pistol safety class and take that where you will learn basic safety like muzzle, trigger and shooting discipline, there is actual range time as well where you can try shooting a couple of pistols. this will give you some idea of what shooting a pistol is like.

I wouldn't worry too much about being thrown over backwards, with good stance and grip the recoil on most pistols is nothing to worry about.

think about how you will carry and when, will you open carry all the time or would you need to conceal at some point? Going from car to open carry can present some logistics if you don't have a carry permit. It is probably a good idea to have the permit "just in case".

Welcome to the site!

Michigander

imported post

Some pointers....

Make sure that whatever gun you have is drop safe. This means that if it falls on the ground, it will not possibly discharge. I was shot last year by my own gun when it fell on the ground and shot me. It was an old POS. Most new guns are very drop safe. But make sure whatever you get is drop safe as can be. And if it isn't, carry with the chamber empty.

I would suggest you avoid manual safeties. With a good carry gun and a good holster, I feel they are nothing more than a potential hindrance to fast shooting. (others will disagree, this is only my opinion) Your safety mechanism is your holster, because a holster keeps a gun pointed down typically, and makes sure nothing can get into the trigger guard to fire it. Blackhawk Serpa holsters and Safariland holsters are among the most secure.

Make sure you get a reliable gun. Sights you can see and a trigger you can manage are important, but you're screwed if it isn't reliable. The more reliable guns are often the more expensive, but it is an extremely important investment. 200 dollars saved means very little when your life is on the line. That said, you can get a much better deal by buying used.

Lastly, have someone who knows guns teach you safe handling and proper shooting techniques. This could mean someone from here, an NRA certified instructor, whatever. Just make sure you know what you're doing. You can't fix dead, so don't screw up.

Hope that helps. :?

jay75009

imported post

1st off, as others have said, make a decisionon aapistol that is compfortable and safe. no point in carrying something you hate.

secondly take a NRA pistol safety course!!!!!

third buy a gun safe, can get a small one for $25 at wal-mart. keeps people from gettin it easily.

fourth, get a membership at your local gun range. the guys there can teach you ALOT about responsible firearms ownership, safety, handling, and firing of teh weapon and they will be more than glad to help you with that stuff.

fifth , scan every single post on this board, lots of great knoledge here , and alot of ppl willing to answer questions.

Third have fun! firearms are both good safety for yourself and your family, plus amazing for recreation. i spend alot of my off time at the range blowing off target ammo and have gotten many years of enjoyment out of them :)

welcome to OC.org buddy :-D

Deuce1911

imported post

my tip would be, be safe but dont be so safe that you become afraid of your weapon. on the opposite side, familiarity breed contempt, dont become so comfortable with your weaopn that you forget to respect it. and like jay said look around here and elsewhere. there is a wealth of knowledge at your fingertips. be insatiable in your hunt for it.

melinuxfool

imported post

GoldCoaster wrote:
You've already made more of a step than most people do, so you are to be commended on that.

If you go to a local gun shop, and perhaps other Mainers can steer him in the direction of a decent outfit?, you can see what you can learn there.

What you ought to do is sign up for the NRA basic pistol safety class and take that where you will learn basic safety like muzzle, trigger and shooting discipline, there is actual range time as well where you can try shooting a couple of pistols. this will give you some idea of what shooting a pistol is like.

I wouldn't worry too much about being thrown over backwards, with good stance and grip the recoil on most pistols is nothing to worry about.

think about how you will carry and when, will you open carry all the time or would you need to conceal at some point? Going from car to open carry can present some logistics if you don't have a carry permit. It is probably a good idea to have the permit "just in case".

Welcome to the site!
Thanks for the response. I was thinking of taking an NRA course, if I could find one within an hour's drive from home (I live in Waldo County). Would I be expected to already have a pistol or could the purchase wait until after the course?

I was also thinking of the CCW just for the reason you specified. However, as a guy (no purse for me) who rarely wears more than one layer of clothes (I'm a jeans and t-shirt guy, even in the winter) it just doesn't seem that there is a practical way to conceal. Open carry just seems like it would be easier in that respect.

On my list so far anyway... is a pistol (a .22 has been suggested by a relative as a good starter), a holster, ear muffs for the range, ammunition, and a gun safe. Is there anything else that should be on my list?

Thank you all for your responses.

jay75009

imported post

the NRA course really depends on where you go, some are classroom settings and some are on an actual range.

a .22 is a good starter pistol, but for self defense if your going to carry . a .22 really has no stopping power, i would recomend a .38 or a .380 or .9mm to start with

one thing you want to get as well is a cable lock or trigger lock, so even if someone gets into the safe, they cant use the firearm itself. other than that you should be all set ;-)

also remember if your carrying for self defense, only load the pistol with Hollowpoint or HPJ rounds when you carry it. full metal jacket or FMJ ammo usualy creates through and through wounds, meaning the attacker only takes about 30% of the force of the round wich is no stopping power at all, a HPJ round expands and stops inside the body, meaning they take 100% of the force of the bullet ;)

hightecrebel

imported post

CC is useful so that if you toss on a jacket due to rain or snow, or even just wear a slightly baggier shirt that might cover your pistol while sitting down, you won't be able to be arrested and charged with illegally concealing a weapon. Granted, most of the guys I know back home (Lincoln County) wouldn't hit someone with something like that, there are a number who would. I've ordered mine so I can carry out here in Oklahoma, but once again, it's up to you how you want to do it. Just make sure you read up on the laws so you don't accidentally break one and get charged.

jay75009

imported post

im lucky enough to know every cop in my town, i dont have a CC but i do it anyway.....and they know i do, but they also know i have a very good history with them and firearms so they dont say boo about it lol only probs i have is when they get a new rookie and i gotta break him in lmao

GoldCoaster

imported post

You won't need a pistol for the class, since for the most part the folks taking this NRA safety class are doing it to get their concealed permit and won't be carrying a pistol prior to doing that.

When I took my class we used a Ruger MK II .22 pistol (a very good pistol for practice by the way, I have a MK III) and they also used a 38 revolver. I think we did 10 shots with the 22 and 10 shots with the 38 and as long as most of them hit the paper (and you aren't shooting at 50' so that shouldn't be an issue) then you are good to go. The written test is open book and if you fail that, then you probably shouldn't be allowed out in public unsupervised.

If you can find a range that rents pistols you may be able to test fire a few different calibers to get the feel of how each of them feel. This is only a rough idea because different pistols feel differently when they fire even with the same ammo.

Personally I carry a full sized 45acp semi automatic. It's not easily concealed so I cover it with a sweatshirt when it needs covering or a long tee shirt if it's too warm. If you're really looking for it you could make out the "print" of it but 99% of the people are oblivious these days.

hightecrebel

imported post

jay75009 wrote:
im lucky enough to know every cop in my town, i dont have a CC but i do it anyway.....and they know i do, but they also know i have a very good history with them and firearms so they dont say boo about it lol only probs i have is when they get a new rookie and i gotta break him in lmao
I'd get the CC, just to be safe. It's $35 and the cost of a couple passport photos. Process it through the guys you know, and Im sure they'll accept that you can demonstrate handgun safety knowledge.

GoldCoaster

imported post

hightecrebel wrote:
jay75009 wrote:
I'd get the CC, just to be safe. It's $35 and the cost of a couple passport photos. Process it through the guys you know, and Im sure they'll accept that you can demonstrate handgun safety knowledge.
I would tend to agree too, and it's not the guys that know you that you'd have the problem with it's the MSP when they decide to get off the turnpike and come inland a bit and stir up trouble. You never know and it would suck totally to get banged up for something silly like a jacket flapping over your pistol.

jay75009

imported post

true, my only problem is right now i dont have a vehicle, so getting to and from a darn NRA pistol course is not easy, if i had the certificate i could just walk to city hall and be good but...........i dont haha

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

jay75009 wrote:
true, my only problem is right now i dont have a vehicle, so getting to and from a darn NRA pistol course is not easy, if i had the certificate i could just walk to city hall and be good but...........i dont haha
You had a vehicle at 1:30 AM but don't have one at 5:29 PM?
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=15107&forum_id=6&jump_to=567515#p567515

You admit to knowingly breaking the law and laughing about it:
" i dont have a CC but i do it anyway." Your post above 11/2 at 11:51PM

You claim to be an Armed Security Officer - see your profile.

Claim to have a Masters in Criminal Psychology.

Who and what are you? Never mind that is becoming increasingly obvious.

You are a swatteampunk - your words, not mine - see profile.

Trolls, drivebys, mall ninjas and BS artists are not friends of those that take the business of the RKBA seriously.

Grow up, get serious and look for an honest way to fulfill your dreams.

Gentleman and ladies, draw your own conclusions - these are mine, and I will call 'em as I see 'em.

Yata hey

jay75009

imported post

#1 the vehicle was my brothers.

#2 in the city i live in, i am close family friends with the chief of police

#3 i am an armed security officer and my workplace is 1 freakin block from my house.

#4 i do have a degree in Criminal Psychology wich took me a long time to gain and i am very proud of.

#5 what does my AOL screenname have to do anything with anything? i set that up when i was 15 years old, wich was just about 10 years ago..........

the one thing worse than trolls are "troll catchers" people who have nothing better to do with thier time than run amuck and try to find "trolls" without knowing anything other than what has been posted.

You believe me to be a liar.......come to maine i have proff of all i say, i will gladly show it to you, then properly and politely tell you to go EFF yourself and get off my property afterwards :-D thank you :)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

jay75009 wrote:

#3 i am an armed security officer and my workplace is 1 freakin block from my house.

#4 i do have a degree in Criminal Psychology wich took me a long time to gain and i am very proud of.

#5 what does my AOL screenname have to do anything with anything? i set that up when i was 15 years old, wich was just about 10 years ago..........

the one thing worse than trolls are "troll catchers" people who have nothing better to do with thier time than run amuck and try to find "trolls" without knowing anything other than what has been posted.

You believe me to be a liar.......come to maine i have proff of all i say, i will gladly show it to you, then properly and politely tell you to go EFF yourself and get off my property afterwards :-D thank you :)
Ignoring the college graduate capitalization, spelling and syntax, your response would indicate your age at 24-25 years. In that length of time, I would have thought you would have acquired the ability to read, comprehend and write on a more intelligible level. You did do a dissertation for your masters degree, did you not?

No sir, I did not call you a liar. I indicated that your posts were fraught with inconsistencies, contradictions and admission of willfully violating the law - they are.

We do accept or reject people and/or their opinions by what they post here. That is obviously the standard. The old cliche of if it walks like a duck, looks like a duck and quacks then ............. still applies.

If you truly wish to advance the cause, obey the law, relate non-cited events without embellishment and cutesy remarks and get involved in the process. I have numerous friends that are or have been police chiefs, officers and was a state academy instructor myself. I would under never consider placing myself nor them in such a compromising situation as you describe.

The elements of a good report are: who, what, when, where, why and how. These do not include derogatory remarks, opinionated conclusions, generalizations, nor inaccuracies. I do not grade on the curve - life doesn't either.

If you ever get to Virginia, I'll buy you a cup of coffee, but won't tell you to GFY. Its not my style. IMHO - you need more education.

BTW - I have had my wall of glory - diplomas, certificates & certifications - that doesn't make me any better than you, only different.

Yata hey

jay75009

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
jay75009 wrote:

Ignoring the college graduate capitalization, spelling and syntax, your response would indicate your age at 24-25 years. In that length of time, I would have thought you would have acquired the ability to read, comprehend and write on a more intelligible level. You did do a dissertation for your masters degree, did you not?

No sir, I did not call you a liar. I indicated that your posts were fraught with inconsistencies, contradictions and admission of willfully violating the law - they are.

We do accept or reject people and/or their opinions by what they post here. That is obviously the standard. The old cliche of if it walks like a duck, looks like a duck and quacks then ............. still applies.

If you truly wish to advance the cause, obey the law, relate non-cited events without embellishment and cutesy remarks and get involved in the process. I have numerous friends that are or have been police chiefs, officers and was a state academy instructor myself. I would under never consider placing myself nor them in such a compromising situation as you describe.

The elements of a good report are: who, what, when, where, why and how. These do not include derogatory remarks, opinionated conclusions, generalizations, nor inaccuracies. I do not grade on the curve - life doesn't either.

If you ever get to Virginia, I'll buy you a cup of coffee, but won't tell you to GFY. Its not my style. IMHO - you need more education.

BTW - I have had my wall of glory - diplomas, certificates & certifications - that doesn't make me any better than you, only different.

Yata hey
well your quickness to judge others makes you not so different and makes you seem to have the belief that you are better. And i do NOT have my Masters, i have my Bachelors :-D it takes nearly six years to get a Masters in Criminal Psychology. I am currently working on that. But my service in the US Marine Corps is kind of hampering my time distribution right now. And you are right. I am 24 years old. I completed twelve years of highschool plus 3 of college so far. so your right i do need more education. but right now that has to go on the back burner because i spend most of my time defending people like you whom choose to jump on and attack others because they DO feel they are better than I. So lets leave it at that. You believe i am a troll, i believe you are a moron . thank you goodbye