• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

General Orders Aug. 3, 1776

springerdave

Northern lower & Keweenaw area, Michigan, USA
imported post

The General is sorry to be informed that the foolish, and wicked practice, of profane cursing and swearing (a Vice heretofore little known in an American Army) is growing into fashion; he hopes the officers will, by example, as well as influence, endeavour to check it, and that both they, and the men will reflect, that we can have little hopes of the blessing of Heaven on our Arms, if we insult it by our impiety, and folly; added to this, it is a vice so mean and low, without any temptation, that every man of sense, and character, detests and despises it.

General Washington, one of the good guys.springerdave.

UCWT

imported post

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
- Benjamin Franklin

mikestilly

imported post

Extreme taxation, excessive controls, oppressive government competition with business, frustrated minorities and forgotten Americans are not the products of free enterprise. They are the residue of centralized bureaucracy, of government by a self-anointed elite.

"A recession is when your neighbor loses his job. A depression is when you lose yours. And recovery is when Jimmy Carter loses his."

"The years ahead will be great ones for our country, for the cause of freedom and the spread of civilization. The West will not contain Communism; it will transcend Communism. We will not bother to denounce it, we'll dismiss it as a sad, bizarre chapter in human history whose last pages are even now being written."

"It is the Soviet Union that runs against the tide of history.... [It is] the march of freedom and democracy which will leave Marxism-Leninism on the ash heap of history as it has left other tyrannies which stifle the freedom and muzzle the self-expression of the people."

"The poet called Miss Liberty's torch 'the lamp beside the golden door.' Well, that was the entrance to America, and it still is. And now you really know why we're here tonight.

"The glistening hope of that lamp is still ours. Every promise, every opportunity, is still golden in this land. And through that golden door our children can walk into tomorrow with the knowledge that no one can be denied the promise that is America. Her heart is full; her torch is still golden, her future bright. She has arms big enough to comfort and strong enough to support, for the strength in her arms is the strength of her people. She will carry on in the '80s unafraid, unashamed, and unsurpassed. In this springtime of hope, some lights seem eternal; America's is."

"The NRA believes America's laws were made to be obeyed and that our Constitutional liberties are just as important today as 200 years ago. And by the way, the Constitution does not say Government shall decree the right to keep and bear arms. The Constitution says 'The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.' "

"As long as there are guns, the individual that wants a gun for a crime is going to have one and going to get it. The only person who’s going to be penalized and have difficulty is the law-abiding citizen, who then cannot have [it] if he wants protection -- the protection of a weapon in his home."

And my favorite quote of them all: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_WUUhtvdFo

My hero always. Ronald Wilson Reagan

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

springerdave wrote:
The General is sorry to be informed that the foolish, and wicked practice, of profane cursing and swearing (a Vice heretofore little known in an American Army) is growing into fashion; he hopes the officers will, by example, as well as influence, endeavour to check it, and that both they, and the men will reflect, that we can have little hopes of the blessing of Heaven on our Arms, if we insult it by our impiety, and folly; added to this, it is a vice so mean and low, without any temptation, that every man of sense, and character, detests and despises it.

General Washington, one of the good guys.springerdave.
Jesus Christ knows I'm no George Washington.;)That's an inside comment between Springerdave and I.

Venator

imported post

springerdave wrote:
I'm thinking that He is aware of that and is filling General Washington in as to the goings-on around here. I don't want to befront the General and for sure, not his Boss.springerdave.
What makes you so sure GW is "up there"? He did own slaves and was a deist after all. As were many of our founding fathers.

springerdave

Northern lower & Keweenaw area, Michigan, USA
imported post

I'm not sure if George is up there, I would rather not provoke him if he is;). Like I said before, I'd rather not befront him or his Boss. There are many claims both ways of deist or Christian, so, oh well guess we'll see. The man did own slaves but it is written that he freed them in his will and gave some pensions after his death.springerdave.

Venator

imported post

springerdave wrote:
I'm not sure if George is up there, I would rather not provoke him if he is;). Like I said before, I'd rather not befront him or his Boss. There are many claims both ways of deist or Christian, so, oh well guess we'll see. The man did own slaves but it is written that he freed them in his will and gave some pensions after his death.springerdave.
Well since he freed them after he no longer needed them...well that's alright then.:?

Venator

imported post

springerdave wrote:
OK then I'll edit my post then.

I'm thinking He is aware of the goings-on around here. I don't want to befront the Boss.:). Is that better?;)springerdave.
Since I don't now what "befront" is (I couldn't find it in the dictionary) you are free to "befront" or not "befront" whomever you want.

Bronson

imported post

Venator wrote:
Since I don't now what "befront" is (I couldn't find it in the dictionary)
It is the opposite of a be-hind. On larger people it is the poofy area just above the pelvic region. It is sometimes referred to as "front-butt".

:p

Bronson

Venator

imported post

springerdave wrote:
Befront= to offend, or cause problems for. Yes it is my pleasure as to whom I befront.springerdave.
Can you cite a dictionary where this word can be found, I can't.

befront- no dictionary results