• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Detained at Lowe's Marero

JeepSeller

imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
"Reciting" it to yourself is fine, don't waste your breath on a "law enforcement officer."
Either they don't KNOW the law or they don't want to LEARN the law.

There you go withthe same kind ofover generalizations of LEO's that got your buddy smokingsomething punted from this board. Maybe SOME don't know the law and even maybe SOME don't want to learn the law, but, not ALL.

Would it be fair to say that Louisiana residents are snaggle-toothed, inbred, swamp monkeys? No, of course not. But, SOME are..right? Please, try to learn the difference in the future. That kind of over generalizing only serves to dumb down your rhetoric to the intelligent. :quirky

There's little question that the OP's situation was handled poorly on several levels by LEO's as well as the store staff.Obviously, a LEO who wasn't well versed in the law. But it sounds as if the LEO's Lt. was, as it sounds as if it was the Lt. who released the OP in the end. SO, your over generalization statement that insinuates that ALL LEO's don't know the law holds no water.

georg jetson

imported post

witerango wrote:
We should know the law to make sure we are inside of it but i should have to start reciting past judgements just to prove i'm within my rights.

Perhaps I'm not clear... when I say "know the law", I'm not meaning you read La. revised statutes, La Const articles etc... What I mean is know the law related to protecting your rights. In order to do so in a civil matter you must know how to file a suit. Our right to redress of grievances isexercised in the courts, so learn the civil and criminal rules on how to file appropriate motions, exceptions etc. so that YOU may wield the power of the pen. If you knew the law, you would know to NEVER attempt to argue or educate a LEO. Winning your case does that!! If you want to prove your case in court, then you WILL know what previous decisions are relevant and on point and how to present your argument, which is usually in written form... not a recitation.

Knowing the law means knowing how to use the court system to achieve jsutice.

witerango

imported post

georg jetson wrote:
Perhaps I'm not clear... when I say "know the law", I'm not meaning you read La. revised statutes, La Const articles etc... What I mean is know the law related to protecting your rights. In order to do so in a civil matter you must know how to file a suit. Our right to redress of grievances isexercised in the courts, so learn the civil and criminal rules on how to file appropriate motions, exceptions etc. so that YOU may wield the power of the pen. If you knew the law, you would know to NEVER attempt to argue or educate a LEO. Winning your case does that!! If you want to prove your case in court, then you WILL know what previous decisions are relevant and on point and how to present your argument, which is usually in written form... not a recitation.

Knowing the law means knowing how to use the court system to achieve jsutice.
well said

buzzsaw

imported post

I don't wish to take any side in this but would like to offer some observations. I spent 25 years working for the Feds. (agency will remain undisclosed). 13 years of that in a "compliance" activity. I got to tell folks whether they complied with the law or not. I learned from that experience that laws are generally too complex for the average Joe to understand and follow. I have come to suspect that this is intended. I am capable of learning and understanding the tax code but unwilling to expend the time or interest to assure myself that I haven't missed anything. I therefore hire someone who does this for a living to do my taxes. I do believe in taking personal responsibility for ones action so when I carry under any circumstances I make every effort to do so legally just as I take personal responsibility for the information that goes into my tax report. I have also noted that very well informed and talented lawyers do not represent themselves in court. It may be self serving but they even have a quip about it that some of you may have heard " A lawyer who represents himself has a fool for a client". Having said all of this doesn't offer any solutions to the OP. I do seem to remember that a lawyer (hired gun) from Atlanta Ga. traveled to one of our northern sister states to help in an OC case there when no local talent seemed willing or capable. Could it be that the same individual could be convinced to travel to a state more capable of understanding his accent?

codename_47

imported post

AGAIN: it's an unnecessary duplication of efforts for each and every one of us to become so schooled in the "law" as to be proficient enough to litigate a civil rights issue in either state or federal court.

Litigation is more procedure than anything. It isn't like you don't have plenty of time to formulate a strategy and research the relevant cases. All you need to do is find one related case and you are fine.

riverrat10k

imported post

For those of you unfamiliar with MEM, he has strong justification for his attitude and generalizations about LA leo's. He has been through the wringer with police, lawyers and judges. Do a search and read his story before being so quick to judge his comments.

OTOH, I have never met the man but have been told that he can be "abrasive."

FWIW

JeepSeller

imported post

riverrat10k wrote:
For those of you unfamiliar with MEM, he has strong justification for his attitude and generalizations about LA leo's. He has been through the wringer with police, lawyers and judges. Do a search and read his story before being so quick to judge his comments.

OTOH, I have never met the man but have been told that he can be "abrasive."

FWIW
I have paid attention. Which is precisely why I have my viewpoints regarding him. MEM appears to ACTIVELY seek the treatment and conflicts he incurs. He purposely tried to garner that kind of negative attention by some of his actions by his attitude toward reactions he receives for his activities. If that's how he wants to be politically active, that's his right. But, don't go out looking for trouble then complain when you find it.

On a personal level, I feel his actions in an attempt to garner attention only succeed in staging for lucrative lawsuits instead of prompting change in acceptance of gun owners. I've long said that we need to be an ambassador to our cause, not bring it down. Walking around with a gun front and center on your person for the sole reason of hoping someone will challenge you for it, then suing the municipality and taking that communities tax dollars isn't likely go win any support by the anti crowd in that community who's money you are taking. In fact, you're even likely to get those that would normally support gun rights turning against you.

No anti gun guy is going to see someone like MEM being stuffed, even illegally, into the back of a squad carand say to himself "OH, look at that poor gun owner having his rights violated"..no, they're likely to solidify their view of guns and gun owners even further thinking tothemselves "just another gun nut" not taking the time to learn the whole story, even if MEM is right, just going about it wrong.

We have to change peoples acceptance of guns and gun owners to stop that kind of treatment. Not bolster their ill perceived views.

Now, regarding MEMS comments toward LEO's. To make a generalized statement that "all cops are bad" shows a complete lack of thought, logic, and intelligence. State that "Judge _____ in ____ parish is a ____" or "these 2 cops in ______ department violated my rights and heres why" But, to label a whole group due to the actions of a few just another form of discrimination, racism and bigotry, just a different, less publicized target. It's just as silly as saying"All black people are____".

My previous comments stand.

turbodog

imported post

JeepSeller wrote:
I have paid attention. Which is precisely why I have my viewpoints regarding him. MEM appears to ACTIVELY seek the treatment and conflicts he incurs. He purposely tried to garner that kind of negative attention by some of his actions by his attitude toward reactions he receives for his activities. If that's how he wants to be politically active, that's his right. But, don't go out looking for trouble then complain when you find it.

On a personal level, I feel his actions in an attempt to garner attention only succeed in staging for lucrative lawsuits instead of prompting change in acceptance of gun owners. I've long said that we need to be an ambassador to our cause, not bring it down. Walking around with a gun front and center on your person for the sole reason of hoping someone will challenge you for it, then suing the municipality and taking that communities tax dollars isn't likely go win any support by the anti crowd in that community who's money you are taking. In fact, you're even likely to get those that would normally support gun rights turning against you.

No anti gun guy is going to see someone like MEM being stuffed, even illegally, into the back of a squad carand say to himself "OH, look at that poor gun owner having his rights violated"..no, they're likely to solidify their view of guns and gun owners even further thinking tothemselves "just another gun nut" not taking the time to learn the whole story, even if MEM is right, just going about it wrong.

We have to change peoples acceptance of guns and gun owners to stop that kind of treatment. Not bolster their ill perceived views.

Now, regarding MEMS comments toward LEO's. To make a generalized statement that "all cops are bad" shows a complete lack of thought, logic, and intelligence. State that "Judge _____ in ____ parish is a ____" or "these 2 cops in ______ department violated my rights and heres why" But, to label a whole group due to the actions of a few just another form of discrimination, racism and bigotry, just a different, less publicized target. It's just as silly as saying"All black people are____".

My previous comments stand.
Yeah, that seems to sum him up pretty well.

Slidell Jim

imported post

I think MEM would be here to rebut some of these things,
But he is probably out RIDING HIS FREEDOM BIKE ! ! !

JeepSeller

imported post

Slidell Jim wrote:

And that benefits the 2nd Amendment and our fight to promote gun owner's rights,particularly OPEN CARRYhow?

Exactly...it doesn't. It's a selfish, materialistic, closed minded approach that does NOTHING but hurt the rest of us. Greed NEVER accomplishes anything positive except to one person's bank account and to hide greed under a blanket of being "Political" makes one easily as low as thepoliticians we criticize and loath.

Really,theimmature elementary school "neener-neener-boo-boo", in your faceattitude isn'thelping his case much.....:quirky

Slidell Jim

imported post

JeepSeller wrote:
Slidell Jim wrote:

And that benefits the 2nd Amendment and our fight to promote gun owner's rights,particularly OPEN CARRYhow?

Exactly...it doesn't. It's a selfish, materialistic, closed minded approach that does NOTHING but hurt the rest of us. Greed NEVER accomplishes anything positive except to one person's bank account and to hide greed under a blanket of being "Political" makes one easily as low as thepoliticians we criticize and loath.

Really,theimmature elementary school "neener-neener-boo-boo", in your faceattitude isn'thelping his case much.....:quirky
The point I was making is that there is a lot of trash talk and attacks about MEM and he isn't here for rebutal.... thats all, Not that he probably cares or needs me to say anything, or he "benefits our 2nd amendment rights" or anything else. Just saying he's not on here this morning posting, cause he's probably out biking.

Your perception of MEM "selfish, materialistic, closed minded approach" Thats another topic in another thread, please.

and as for " isn'thelping his case much.....:quirky"
MEM does'nt need help with his case, he already won it. It is the original poster that started this thread that needs our support with his case and advise from this site. Maybe we should set this aside and focus on him, not MEM.

JeepSeller

imported post

MY original point was....MEM used this thread to post yet more of his small minded generalized statments about LEO's.

I was, originally, pointing out the closed mindedness, lack of logic and thoughtof that kind of thinking, as I will do EVERY time I catchhim, or anyone else for that matter, engaging in such hate rhetoric. I popped Smoking357 for it everytime, and he was finally, and correctly punted from this group for it. This isn't a "LEO BASHING" forum the administrators have made that crystal clear!

turbodog

imported post

Slidell Jim wrote:
The point I was making is that there is a lot of trash talk and attacks about MEM and he isn't here for rebutal....
Oh you can be sure he's here. Any time there's an opportunity for self promotion, religious preaching, cop bashing and slaming everybody else who disagrees with him (you know who you are, you damn Amerikans you!) That's when you'll hear from mark.

witerango

imported post

:?can we stop with the personal attacks...... that's going to get us no where...... whether he benefitted financially or not we all benefitted by the judgement against GPD..... as is my intention with JPSO.... i don't give a crap about anything except the proper training of JPSO officers and i hope that was the same intention that MEM had with GPD......

If people want to bash each other i'm sure there is another forum out there somewhere dedicated to bashing but this is NOT it can we please stay on topic and continue with the help and support of each other instead of making ourselves look like a bunch of closedminded fools..... remember this site shines on us as a whole when someone of the general public curious about us or someone tryin to use this site as an example for pro or con gun control.

JeepSeller

imported post

witerango wrote:
remember this site shines on us as a whole when someone of the general public curious about us or someone tryin to use this site as an example for pro or con gun control.

Precisely..that's why this statement....
mark edward marchiafava wrote:
"Reciting" it to yourself is fine, don't waste your breath on a "law enforcement officer."
Either they don't KNOW the law or they don't want to LEARN the law.
....is completely unacceptable. If he'll stop theLEO bashing, I'll stop calling him out on it. It's really very simple. It's against the rules and offensive to some. If you have a problem with the rules here, I'd suggest you take it up with the admins and not me. I have no power over the rules here.

And regarding this statement..

witerango wrote:

whether he benefitted financially or not we all benefitted by the judgement against GPD.....

....exactly how did I benefit from it? You said we ALL benefited. How did the taxpayers of that community benefit? You honestly think those community leaders give a rat's _____ about that measly few thousand dollars? Seriously,you honestly think that a group of people who spend100's of millionsof their tax payer's dollars on stupid pet projects really care aboutwhatever amount MEM got? Unless it waswell into the 8figures minimum, I doubt they even blinked. It's not THEIR money, it's their constituent's money. You can't hurt a politician by hitting the treasury's money bags. You have to hit them where it actually hurts. Hit them in public opinion. Hit them in their own wallets by lost campaign contributions. Hit them by seeing them whooped at the next election. You don't accomplish that by taking a few bucks out of their city/count/state line item/reserveaccounts, they steal from those every day themselves. It's not like they care about that money.

So, again, exactly how did ANYONE benefit from the GPD judgment other than MEM?

Listen, we can go around and around with this. You are right on only one account. It's not fair to the OP to hash this out in their thread. I've stated my peace and my comments still stand.