Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Springfield GOP Rally, Who's Going?

  1. #1
    Regular Member fairfax1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Fairfax, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    246

    Post imported post

    SAT OCT 31, 8:30AM

    http://wms.fairfaxgop.com/volunteer-...es-gotv-rally/


    Interstate Van Lines GOTV Rally
    JOIN FCRC AND
    INTERSTATE VAN LINES
    FOR A
    GOTV RALLY
    featuring
    Bob McDonnell
    Bill Bolling
    Ken Cuccinelli

    and special guest
    Gov. Haley Barbour (R-MS)
    Interstate Van Lines Headquarters
    5801 Rolling Rd, Springfield

    8:30 AM

  2. #2
    Regular Member IanB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    1,896

    Post imported post

    Too early for me.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3,156

    Post imported post

    I might show depending on how much sleep I get before.

    ETA: OCing of course.

  4. #4
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766

    Post imported post

    ALERT

    I seem to recall that during the last election cycle OCers were denied access while OCing to the Interstate Van Lines property. Something to do with the host (Interstate Van Lines owner).

    My memory on this is a little foggy. Maybe somebody else can chip in.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  5. #5
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  6. #6
    Regular Member IanB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    1,896

    Post imported post

    Yup I remember that.

  7. #7
    Regular Member richarcm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    1,182

    Post imported post

    I'm going to go regardless. When I get there I will ask an employee of IVL if gun owners are welcome on the property. If they say no I will politely tell them that I will contact RPV and ask that they no longer hold rallies at the IVL location.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3,156

    Post imported post



  9. #9
    Regular Member richarcm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    1,182

    Post imported post

    Just confirmed with IVL representative....guns are not allowed on the premises. I'll be emailing RPV later today.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3,156

    Post imported post

    I was the lone OCer who was limited to public property (road/sidewalk) in front of the place. People were friendly as they passed by, and one IVL rep who was directing traffic took attention to my sidearm. He asked if I was a guard (no) and after I said I was just another citizen he said "why do you have to carry a gun?" to which I replied "why do I have to do anything? It's just a choice an individual makes like any other" to which he smiled and said "Ok just asking..."

    About 15min later I approached the same man and asked him if he knew IVL's policy for the event since they were hosting it on their private property (I know, this violates my "NEVER ASK" policy, however since IVL has been known to turn away OCers in times past, I had nothing to lose). He said he had no idea but he could go find out for me. I thanked him as he walked away.

    After seeing him talk with who I assume to be the owner and a few other employees and rally people, as well as an FCPD officer, he returned to directing incoming vehicles to parking.

    About 5 minutes later the one FCPD officer makes his way in my direction (I do a time check aloud for my voice recorder before he's within hearing distance). I know he's coming for me so I take the initiative and say hi and wave. He does the same. After exchanging greetings he informs me that the property owners decided to stick to their no firearms policy. He said as I already knew I'd be more than welcome to hang around on the sidewalk being public property. He then told me to let him know if anyone gave me crap so he would talk to them. After that, he and I chatted about OC (he's a supporter) and incidents (he brought up burke lake park two years ago and a MWAG call he responded to at the Reston Champps last year to which he informed the caller of the legalities of carrying in VA and even drink alcohol as long as they OC). He told me he was there for crowd control duty and said there would be a few more uniformed officers show up and a few plainclothes in the crowd. I did notice a black Suburban with suits who got out of it, I can only assume they were SS there for Congressman Wolf or possibly VA Executive Protection Unit (I don't know if they provide protection to candidates though). He also (half) jokingly said that if something happens in the crowd that endangered lives, particularly his, that I can back him up .

    Before I left I walked over to the FCPD officer I talked with earlier to ask for his card. I didn't say why but he was happy to comply.
    This was a very positive experience so I'll probably file a compliment. His knowledge of the law and kindness made my day (considering I was kept out of the rally).

  11. #11
    Regular Member IanB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    1,896

    Post imported post

    nova wrote:
    Before I left I walked over to the FCPD officer I talked with earlier to ask for his card. I didn't say why but he was happy to comply. This was a very positive experience so I'll probably file a compliment. His knowledge of the law and kindness made my day (considering I was kept out of the rally).
    +1 Compliments are always a good reinforcement tool.

  12. #12
    Regular Member richarcm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    1,182

    Post imported post

    nova wrote:
    I was the lone OCer who was limited to public property (road/sidewalk) in front of the place. People were friendly as they passed by, and one IVL rep who was directing traffic took attention to my sidearm. He asked if I was a guard (no) and after I said I was just another citizen he said "why do you have to carry a gun?" to which I replied "why do I have to do anything? It's just a choice an individual makes like any other" to which he smiled and said "Ok just asking..."
    Remembering you from the Burke rally I thought I saw you as I drove in. I didn't see a gun on you so I didn't think much of it.

    I talked to the only employee I could find there and he seemed pretty blunt that guns were not allowed. You sorta missed out though....there were a couple of pretty cute girls by the stage.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3,156

    Post imported post

    richarcm wrote:
    nova wrote:
    I was the lone OCer who was limited to public property (road/sidewalk) in front of the place. People were friendly as they passed by, and one IVL rep who was directing traffic took attention to my sidearm. He asked if I was a guard (no) and after I said I was just another citizen he said "why do you have to carry a gun?" to which I replied "why do I have to do anything? It's just a choice an individual makes like any other" to which he smiled and said "Ok just asking..."
    Remembering you from the Burke rally I thought I saw you as I drove in. I didn't see a gun on you so I didn't think much of it.

    I talked to the only employee I could find there and he seemed pretty blunt that guns were not allowed. You sorta missed out though....there were a couple of pretty cute girls by the stage.
    Yeah I had my everyday carry piece on my right side, my arm might have covered the view as you drove past (I saw you drive by...I liked what was on your back window )

    And yeah there were definitely some cute girls there, a few walked past me on their way in. Oh well I guess I took one for the team today...

    I got bored halfway through so I ended up going over to the burke 7/11 for a coke before returning to my spot on the sidewalk. It really feels crappy though, being discriminated against just because I choose to excercise a right. Talk about being sent to the back of the bus...or more like being denied entry altogether :?.

    I did get to say hi to the girl who has represented Bill Bolling at several past VCDL meetings.

  14. #14
    Regular Member richarcm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    1,182

    Post imported post

    nova wrote:
    richarcm wrote:
    nova wrote:
    I was the lone OCer who was limited to public property (road/sidewalk) in front of the place. People were friendly as they passed by, and one IVL rep who was directing traffic took attention to my sidearm. He asked if I was a guard (no) and after I said I was just another citizen he said "why do you have to carry a gun?" to which I replied "why do I have to do anything? It's just a choice an individual makes like any other" to which he smiled and said "Ok just asking..."
    Remembering you from the Burke rally I thought I saw you as I drove in. I didn't see a gun on you so I didn't think much of it.

    I talked to the only employee I could find there and he seemed pretty blunt that guns were not allowed. You sorta missed out though....there were a couple of pretty cute girls by the stage.
    Yeah I had my everyday carry piece on my right side, my arm might have covered the view as you drove past (I saw you drive by...I liked what was on your back window )

    And yeah there were definitely some cute girls there, a few walked past me on their way in. Oh well I guess I took one for the team today...

    I got bored halfway through so I ended up going over to the burke 7/11 for a coke before returning to my spot on the sidewalk. It really feels crappy though, being discriminated against just because I choose to excercise a right. Talk about being sent to the back of the bus...or more like being denied entry altogether :?.

    I did get to say hi to the girl who has represented Bill Bolling at several past VCDL meetings.
    Well at the same time we are fighting for gun rights we should also be fighting for private property rights. International Van Lines has and SHOULD have every right to deny gun owners onto their property. And the cop sounds to have 100% respected your right to carry on public property. The only party that is at fault here, again, is the GOP/RPV. They carry a lot of rallys there at that location. I went to the McCain rally there last year at around this time. But then they had SS and metal detectors so the rules of the game were a little different....

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3,156

    Post imported post

    richarcm wrote:
    nova wrote:
    richarcm wrote:
    nova wrote:
    I was the lone OCer who was limited to public property (road/sidewalk) in front of the place. People were friendly as they passed by, and one IVL rep who was directing traffic took attention to my sidearm. He asked if I was a guard (no) and after I said I was just another citizen he said "why do you have to carry a gun?" to which I replied "why do I have to do anything? It's just a choice an individual makes like any other" to which he smiled and said "Ok just asking..."
    Remembering you from the Burke rally I thought I saw you as I drove in. I didn't see a gun on you so I didn't think much of it.

    I talked to the only employee I could find there and he seemed pretty blunt that guns were not allowed. You sorta missed out though....there were a couple of pretty cute girls by the stage.
    Yeah I had my everyday carry piece on my right side, my arm might have covered the view as you drove past (I saw you drive by...I liked what was on your back window )

    And yeah there were definitely some cute girls there, a few walked past me on their way in. Oh well I guess I took one for the team today...

    I got bored halfway through so I ended up going over to the burke 7/11 for a coke before returning to my spot on the sidewalk. It really feels crappy though, being discriminated against just because I choose to excercise a right. Talk about being sent to the back of the bus...or more like being denied entry altogether :?.

    I did get to say hi to the girl who has represented Bill Bolling at several past VCDL meetings.
    Well at the same time we are fighting for gun rights we should also be fighting for private property rights. International Van Lines has and SHOULD have every right to deny gun owners onto their property. And the cop sounds to have 100% respected your right to carry on public property. The only party that is at fault here, again, is the GOP/RPV. They carry a lot of rallys there at that location. I went to the McCain rally there last year at around this time. But then they had SS and metal detectors so the rules of the game were a little different....
    Yeah I'm with you on that. It seems like Innsbrook all over again.

  16. #16
    Founder's Club Member Tess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,765

    Post imported post

    The issue is not private property rights; I think most of us agree on them.

    The issue is Party choices to hold events at non-gun-friendly venues.

    NRA, though, sent an e-mail encouraging members to attend the Springfield rally yesterday. At a NON GUN-FRIENDLY location! I was NOT impressed.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    1,128

    Post imported post

    Mr. Morrisette, who runs Interstate told an open-carrying interloper that they never have allowed guns on the property. This is well known to the organizers of this rally.

    There are plenty of OC friendly places in Fairfax where the Republicans could have their regular GOTV rally. Sounds like the republicans are sending a consistent message that OC is unwelcome in their suburban venues.
    Last edited by The Donkey; 12-15-2010 at 06:41 AM. Reason: The moving finger writes, and writes, and writes

  18. #18
    Regular Member IanB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    1,896

    Post imported post

    Hey, ummm Donkey...

    Can you point me towards the Democrat rally on private property where open carry IS allowed? I'd like to attend.

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    1,128

    Post imported post

    I would guess that the rally I just attended on friday at King Street Blues at Kingstowne in Alexandria would have been open carry viable. I had a good conversation with a young gentleman who was considering doing it there. But that's already happened. I don't know of any Deeds rallys on election day.

  20. #20
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580

    Post imported post

    Tess wrote:
    The issue is not private property rights; I think most of us agree on them.

    The issue is Party choices to hold events at non-gun-friendly venues.

    NRA, though, sent an e-mail encouraging members to attend the Springfield rally yesterday. At a NON GUN-FRIENDLY location! I was NOT impressed.
    +1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •