• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Springfield GOP Rally, Who's Going?

fairfax1

imported post

[align=center]SAT OCT 31, 8:30AM
[/align]
http://wms.fairfaxgop.com/volunteer-on-election-day/interstate-van-lines-gotv-rally/

Interstate Van Lines GOTV Rally[align=center] [/align][align=center]JOIN FCRC AND
INTERSTATE VAN LINES
FOR A
GOTV RALLY[/align][align=center] [/align][align=center] [/align][align=center]featuring[/align][align=center]Bob McDonnell
Bill Bolling
Ken Cuccinelli

and special guest
[/align][align=center] [/align][align=center]Gov. Haley Barbour (R-MS)[/align][align=center] [/align][align=center] [/align][align=center]Interstate Van Lines Headquarters
5801 Rolling Rd, Springfield

8:30 AM[/align]

nova

imported post

I might show depending on how much sleep I get before.

ETA: OCing of course.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ALERT

I seem to recall that during the last election cycle OCers were denied access while OCing to the Interstate Van Lines property. Something to do with the host (Interstate Van Lines owner).

My memory on this is a little foggy. Maybe somebody else can chip in.

richarcm

imported post

I'm going to go regardless. When I get there I will ask an employee of IVL if gun owners are welcome on the property. If they say no I will politely tell them that I will contact RPV and ask that they no longer hold rallies at the IVL location.

richarcm

imported post

Just confirmed with IVL representative....guns are not allowed on the premises. I'll be emailing RPV later today.

nova

imported post

I was the lone OCer who was limited to public property (road/sidewalk) in front of the place. People were friendly as they passed by, and one IVL rep who was directing traffic took attention to my sidearm. He asked if I was a guard (no) and after I said I was just another citizen he said "why do you have to carry a gun?" to which I replied "why do I have to do anything? It's just a choice an individual makes like any other" to which he smiled and said "Ok just asking..."

About 15min later I approached the same man and asked him if he knew IVL's policy for the event since they were hosting it on their private property (I know, this violates my "NEVER ASK" policy, however since IVL has been known to turn away OCers in times past, I had nothing to lose). He said he had no idea but he could go find out for me. I thanked him as he walked away.

After seeing him talk with who I assume to be the owner and a few other employees and rally people, as well as an FCPD officer, he returned to directing incoming vehicles to parking.

About 5 minutes later the one FCPD officer makes his way in my direction (I do a time check aloud for my voice recorder before he's within hearing distance). I know he's coming for me so I take the initiative and say hi and wave. He does the same. After exchanging greetings he informs me that the property owners decided to stick to their no firearms policy. He said as I already knew I'd be more than welcome to hang around on the sidewalk being public property. He then told me to let him know if anyone gave me crap so he would talk to them. After that, he and I chatted about OC (he's a supporter) and incidents (he brought up burke lake park two years ago :lol: and a MWAG call he responded to at the Reston Champps last year to which he informed the caller of the legalities of carrying in VA and even drink alcohol as long as they OC). He told me he was there for crowd control duty and said there would be a few more uniformed officers show up and a few plainclothes in the crowd. I did notice a black Suburban with suits who got out of it, I can only assume they were SS there for Congressman Wolf or possibly VA Executive Protection Unit (I don't know if they provide protection to candidates though). He also (half) jokingly said that if something happens in the crowd that endangered lives, particularly his, that I can back him up :lol:.

Before I left I walked over to the FCPD officer I talked with earlier to ask for his card. I didn't say why but he was happy to comply.
This was a very positive experience so I'll probably file a compliment. His knowledge of the law and kindness made my day (considering I was kept out of the rally).

IanB

imported post

nova wrote:
Before I left I walked over to the FCPD officer I talked with earlier to ask for his card. I didn't say why but he was happy to comply. This was a very positive experience so I'll probably file a compliment. His knowledge of the law and kindness made my day (considering I was kept out of the rally).
+1 Compliments are always a good reinforcement tool.

richarcm

imported post

nova wrote:
I was the lone OCer who was limited to public property (road/sidewalk) in front of the place. People were friendly as they passed by, and one IVL rep who was directing traffic took attention to my sidearm. He asked if I was a guard (no) and after I said I was just another citizen he said "why do you have to carry a gun?" to which I replied "why do I have to do anything? It's just a choice an individual makes like any other" to which he smiled and said "Ok just asking..."
Remembering you from the Burke rally I thought I saw you as I drove in. I didn't see a gun on you so I didn't think much of it.

I talked to the only employee I could find there and he seemed pretty blunt that guns were not allowed. You sorta missed out though....there were a couple of pretty cute girls by the stage.

nova

imported post

richarcm wrote:
nova wrote:
Remembering you from the Burke rally I thought I saw you as I drove in. I didn't see a gun on you so I didn't think much of it.

I talked to the only employee I could find there and he seemed pretty blunt that guns were not allowed. You sorta missed out though....there were a couple of pretty cute girls by the stage.
Yeah I had my everyday carry piece on my right side, my arm might have covered the view as you drove past (I saw you drive by...I liked what was on your back window :cool: )

And yeah there were definitely some cute girls there, a few walked past me on their way in. Oh well I guess I took one for the team today...:banghead:

I got bored halfway through so I ended up going over to the burke 7/11 for a coke before returning to my spot on the sidewalk. It really feels crappy though, being discriminated against just because I choose to excercise a right. Talk about being sent to the back of the bus...or more like being denied entry altogether :?.

I did get to say hi to the girl who has represented Bill Bolling at several past VCDL meetings.

richarcm

imported post

nova wrote:
richarcm wrote:
nova wrote:

Yeah I had my everyday carry piece on my right side, my arm might have covered the view as you drove past (I saw you drive by...I liked what was on your back window :cool: )

And yeah there were definitely some cute girls there, a few walked past me on their way in. Oh well I guess I took one for the team today...:banghead:

I got bored halfway through so I ended up going over to the burke 7/11 for a coke before returning to my spot on the sidewalk. It really feels crappy though, being discriminated against just because I choose to excercise a right. Talk about being sent to the back of the bus...or more like being denied entry altogether :?.

I did get to say hi to the girl who has represented Bill Bolling at several past VCDL meetings.
Well at the same time we are fighting for gun rights we should also be fighting for private property rights. International Van Lines has and SHOULD have every right to deny gun owners onto their property. And the cop sounds to have 100% respected your right to carry on public property. The only party that is at fault here, again, is the GOP/RPV. They carry a lot of rallys there at that location. I went to the McCain rally there last year at around this time. But then they had SS and metal detectors so the rules of the game were a little different....

nova

imported post

richarcm wrote:
nova wrote:
richarcm wrote:
nova wrote:

Well at the same time we are fighting for gun rights we should also be fighting for private property rights. International Van Lines has and SHOULD have every right to deny gun owners onto their property. And the cop sounds to have 100% respected your right to carry on public property. The only party that is at fault here, again, is the GOP/RPV. They carry a lot of rallys there at that location. I went to the McCain rally there last year at around this time. But then they had SS and metal detectors so the rules of the game were a little different....
Yeah I'm with you on that. It seems like Innsbrook all over again.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The issue is not private property rights; I think most of us agree on them.

The issue is Party choices to hold events at non-gun-friendly venues.

NRA, though, sent an e-mail encouraging members to attend the Springfield rally yesterday. At a NON GUN-FRIENDLY location! I was NOT impressed.

The Donkey

imported post

Mr. Morrisette, who runs Interstate told an open-carrying interloper that they never have allowed guns on the property. This is well known to the organizers of this rally.

There are plenty of OC friendly places in Fairfax where the Republicans could have their regular GOTV rally. Sounds like the republicans are sending a consistent message that OC is unwelcome in their suburban venues.

Last edited:

IanB

imported post

Hey, ummm Donkey...

Can you point me towards the Democrat rally on private property where open carry IS allowed? I'd like to attend.

The Donkey

imported post

I would guess that the rally I just attended on friday at King Street Blues at Kingstowne in Alexandria would have been open carry viable. I had a good conversation with a young gentleman who was considering doing it there. But that's already happened. I don't know of any Deeds rallys on election day.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Tess wrote:
The issue is not private property rights; I think most of us agree on them.

The issue is Party choices to hold events at non-gun-friendly venues.

NRA, though, sent an e-mail encouraging members to attend the Springfield rally yesterday. At a NON GUN-FRIENDLY location! I was NOT impressed.
+1