• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who is carrying this Holloween.

zack991

imported post

Sorry for my poor grammar I am truly beat.

Well this year the city council decided to have different parts of town have different nights when you could go door to door. Well tonight was our night and we normally have very little kids overall where we live. Well since they gave each part of town their own night we had everyone from everywhere come out. Well we hadmore thanenoughscum bags from down town warren causing all types of problems and very fewREAL kids were out. We mostly had a number of teens and high school kids looking for trouble and where more then happy to cause problems with other people around us.

My neighbors knew that I owned several firearms and that I carried, even liberals that live near me are changing their mind on gun rights. Weall decide to hand candy out at my home since we all live in the same townhouse section. That and it would be a lot safer for us. We found out later that evening that the police had already arrested a number of punks in the area for several stupid things. Most of the teens we dealt with this evening lets just say you would not trust to babysit your dog much less want them around your home. For example one groupwe dealt with tonight gave us all a really bad vibe when they were walking toward us.

They had the typical gangster talk and attitude walking up to us until they notice me open carrying my sidearm; they almost immediately shaped up and said very little. We all thought it was funny if not odd since they were saving some very colorful things coming down the street. They acted like they almost did not want to walk the rest of the way to get their candy. After they left Warren PD was doing their drive around in our neighborhood like they normally did. He stopped and popped his head out of the car and asked how everything was going. We told him about the number of kids that we handed candy to that looked like they where up to no good, but otherwise ok. He said they had a number of calls of kids doing everything from typical pranksto armed robbery. Some kids where robbing from people handing candy out a few blocks away. He noticed my gun on my hip and smiled, he then made a comment even I was not ready for. He stated that we where smarter then most people handing candy out this evening and if more people where open carrying he would not be as busy.

r6-rider

imported post

armed robbery of someone whos door is wide open... almost genius. but scary nonetheless. very good story, i will defiantly be carrying all night tonight

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Were the nights divided up because the area is so bad? I've never heard of that.

Halloween is usually a bad night when you're in an already bad area. Glad you all stayed safe and even found a friendly cop.

zack991

imported post

They never really gave a reason for it, but i am guessing it would be a little easier on police to work a few small areas the one large area or easy to control the crowds of people in one area. The only bad thing is people will act a fool when it is not their neighborhood and in reality make police work more. They did lay of 65 police officers in my area due to budget cuts.

Ezrider

imported post

i had debated open carry on Halloween i did not go anywhere just stayed home and handed out candy. being that it is my first Halloween in my new house in a new neighbor hood and i don't really any of my neighbors i decided cc was my best option, not wanting to make waves with neighbors i don't yet know. i think in hindsight it was probably my best option. I had several groups of young kids (pre-teens) with there parents come by no older teen ages or trouble makers. now that its past the hour for young kids and parents to be out i have switched to open carry in case any hoodlems decide to come around

Bull Frog

imported post

I am so laden with candy baskets, I can barely carry the replacement batteries for my zombie detectors, let alone a modest collection of loaded handguns.

Maybe the technology will become less expensive next year .... ??

DustoneGT

imported post

Open carried my Mini-14 w/ camo wrap, multicam pants, jacket and boonie hat.

"Mommy, look at the soldier guy!"

Got lots of positive comments, especially from people who knew enough to know I was carrying a real rifle. No foul comments or dirty looks.

An Australian guy in the neighborhood was especially impressed and took a pic for the folks back home to show how free things are in New Mexico.

NightOwl

imported post

zack991 wrote:
He noticed my gun on my hip and smiled, he then made a comment even I was not ready for. He stated that we where smarter then most people handing candy out this evening and if more people where open carrying he would not be as busy.

I really wish more police were like that. That is a truly awesome statement from a cop, I'm really impressed with that guy. Shows support for the average citizen, rather than a superiority over them, and I really appreciate that.

If you got his vehicle number or know his name, I'd suggest giving a call to his department and speaking to a supervisor to give him a pat on the back. Sure, it might not make any difference...or it could be handy when raise/promotion time comes around, and they start thinking about how many good calls/bad calls they've received for him.

Incidentslike that give me hope for police everywhere.

zack991

imported post

NightOwl wrote:
zack991 wrote:
He noticed my gun on my hip and smiled, he then made a comment even I was not ready for. He stated that we where smarter then most people handing candy out this evening and if more people where open carrying he would not be as busy.

I really wish more police were like that. That is a truly awesome statement from a cop, I'm really impressed with that guy. Shows support for the average citizen, rather than a superiority over them, and I really appreciate that.

If you got his vehicle number or know his name, I'd suggest giving a call to his department and speaking to a supervisor to give him a pat on the back. Sure, it might not make any difference...or it could be handy when raise/promotion time comes around, and they start thinking about how many good calls/bad calls they've received for him.

Incidentslike that give me hope for police everywhere.
Myself and others are sending a few letters in to make it more personal.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

DustoneGT wrote:
Open carried my Mini-14 w/ camo wrap, multicam pants, jacket and boonie hat.

"Mommy, look at the soldier guy!"

Got lots of positive comments, especially from people who knew enough to know I was carrying a real rifle. No foul comments or dirty looks.

An Australian guy in the neighborhood was especially impressed and took a pic for the folks back home to show how free things are in New Mexico.

:lol:

That was a great idea! Glad to hear there were no bad reactions.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I don't really have to worry about it, our houses are on the very edge of the subdivision and only the garages face the street so we don't have any trick or treaters.

B

Bikenut

imported post

Saw our Chief of Police drive down the street checking the Halloween scene.... and I jumped up from the couch... ran to slip my shoes on... grabbed a bag of candy.. and hot footed it to the street just in time to catch him on his way back.

Handed him his candy while he was laughing.. and he said:

"When I came down here I thought to myself... betcha Steve runs out with some candy! You did that last year and I'm never going to forget that ya know!"

A couple of neighbors came out to give him some candy too and we all chatted a bit. During the course of the chit chat the Chief took a quick glance at my hip to see if I was OC'ing like usual... and I was. Nothing was said by him, me, or my neighbors.'

But then, I live in an area where good decent people are neighbors... and the Chief of Police is also one of those neighbors.

canadian

imported post

Bikenut wrote:
and the Chief of Police is also one of those neighbors.
That's key, right there. It's a lot easier to oppress someone when you don't have to live next door to them and they don't know your name.

Jblack44

imported post

I took the family to a friends house to trick or treat. We have very few people who participate in our neighborhood. I was carrying the whole evening, along with another guy who was at myfriends. While the neighborhood that I was in is a good neighborhood, they come from all over to T or T. Let's just say there are some questionable people aournd that night.

The only bad vibe I got was later in the evening when I was sitting with my 7 year old handing out candy. A group of ganster types came up dressed in dark street clothes (hoodies and such) and masks. I went into high alert and watched them all very closely as the approached. Nothing happened, but I was tense until they were on their way....

Armond Reese

Banned
imported post

The only "encounter" I had all night was TWO distinct groups walking out in front of me as I entered intersections, and then yelling at me, on my drive home from visiting family.

Apparently look before you cross doesn't apply when the chiiiiiiiiiiildreeeeeeeeen are involved.

riverrat10k

imported post

Went to a party in the Chimborazo area of Richmond's Church Hill. Wife's friends. Had the little .38 in my back pocket all night. Didn't need it, felt better for having it.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Trick or treaters 'round here will be eaten... or carried off into the desert... then eaten.