Thread: 1911 Holster question

Post imported post

I recently picked up a Kimber Eclipse Pro 2, And was wondering about holster options for it. I am wanting a holster that dosen`t put to much wear on the gun, I know that the gun is going to have holster wear after time but, I want to keep it from getting excessive holster wear. And really keep the price as low as possible as well. Also would like it to be a Paddle holster, I dont want a belt holster,OH and no Leather either.

Post imported post

Look into Safariland stuff.

They make some nice stuff which can be had for under 80 bucks if you shop around. Level 2 or 3 retention, and suede lining to protect the finish.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

Do you want a dishwasher and vaccum with that too?.....J/K
    Only two have offered their lives for you. A Soldier and Jesus....

Post imported post

Or you could always get a Blackhawk SERPA for 30 bucks and get some felt from an arts and crafts store.

Post imported post

Why no leather? If you could deal with leather Bianche has one like I posted for my PT111 for the 1911 and they even have a paddle version!
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

SlowDog wrote:
    Do you want a dishwasher and vaccum with that too?.....J/K
    If it comes with the holster, I wouldn`t complain. I wouldn`t spend more then 60 bucks for the package tho.

Post imported post

I'm a 1911 guy. My EDC is a Dan Wesson Commander Bobtail. If you're going to carry a 1911, it should be in leather in my opinion. I have tried Serpas and some other plastic holster and they all leave nasty marks on my gun. They can be cleaned off, but it's a hassle. A good leather holster will not do this. My father (also a 1911 guy) carries his in a cheap, leatherOWB from Don Hume. That would be my first recommendation. After seeing how well his turned out I'm going to get one to replace the Galco that I have (not a fan). That said, I'm a bit of a holster snob (see also: 1911 snob) and my IWB is a custom HBE product that is the single most comfortable holster I have ever had...but you're looking at triple digits for that one. If you are going to carry a full size or commander all steel pistol, do yourself a favor and do not skimp on the holster and belt. A good belt and holster make all the difference.

Post imported post

Evil Creamsicle wrote:
    Or you could always get a Blackhawk SERPA for 30 bucks and get some felt from an arts and crafts store.
    I now avoid the SERPA:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McE1zyDiEMQ

Post imported post

bbvk05 wrote: I don't like Serpa's either, but there is nothing but air behind the button where it depresses, at least for the newer ones I've handled.

I have a very, very hard time imagining a real and possible scenario where something could jam it.

Let's say you were being an idiot, and OCing while rolling around in the soft sand at the beach. Odds are the gun won't cycle anyway if you manage to draw it. And it would take at least that much stupidity to jam the holster. There are a lot more critical moving parts in a gun, and they're much smaller with much tighter tolerances.

I am a Safariland loyalist, because I believe they offer the best retention in a grab situation, and as an added bonus they are felt lined. But I can't honestly tell someone a Serpa is a bad, or unreliable choice. If they were such trash, the thousands and thousands of cops, soldiers and plain OC/CC people who use them would have complained about them a lot more by now.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

bbvk05 wrote:
    Evil Creamsicle wrote:
    I now avoid the SERPA:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McE1zyDiEMQ

That was before the redesign... the same as there is a video of a Fobus failure too that is of a first generation holster.

This problem does not apply anymore.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Posting error - forgive.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Postings going haywire - hope OCDO server is not the problem.

Edit to delete and start over.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Post imported post

bbvk05 wrote:
    I now avoid the SERPA:

bbvk05 is posting this all over OCDO - not sure what the agenda is, but it is definitely not a public service announcement.

Yata hey
    I give up - you get the idea ! Grapeshot said that.

Post imported post

haha... he probably works for Safariland

Post imported post

For my Springer 45 I use a "Slide" holster. No thumb break. It just fits real snug and holds grip tight to the body.
    Only two have offered their lives for you. A Soldier and Jesus....