• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1911 Holster question

wally1120

imported post

I recently picked up a Kimber Eclipse Pro 2, And was wondering about holster options for it. I am wanting a holster that dosen`t put to much wear on the gun, I know that the gun is going to have holster wear after time but, I want to keep it from getting excessive holster wear. And really keep the price as low as possible as well. Also would like it to be a Paddle holster, I dont want a belt holster,OH and no Leather either.

Michigander

imported post

Look into Safariland stuff.

They make some nice stuff which can be had for under 80 bucks if you shop around. Level 2 or 3 retention, and suede lining to protect the finish.

sevenplusone

imported post

I'm a 1911 guy. My EDC is a Dan Wesson Commander Bobtail. If you're going to carry a 1911, it should be in leather in my opinion. I have tried Serpas and some other plastic holster and they all leave nasty marks on my gun. They can be cleaned off, but it's a hassle. A good leather holster will not do this. My father (also a 1911 guy) carries his in a cheap, leatherOWB from Don Hume. That would be my first recommendation. After seeing how well his turned out I'm going to get one to replace the Galco that I have (not a fan). That said, I'm a bit of a holster snob (see also: 1911 snob) and my IWB is a custom HBE product that is the single most comfortable holster I have ever had...but you're looking at triple digits for that one. If you are going to carry a full size or commander all steel pistol, do yourself a favor and do not skimp on the holster and belt. A good belt and holster make all the difference.

Michigander

imported post

bbvk05 wrote:

I don't like Serpa's either, but there is nothing but air behind the button where it depresses, at least for the newer ones I've handled.

I have a very, very hard time imagining a real and possible scenario where something could jam it.

Let's say you were being an idiot, and OCing while rolling around in the soft sand at the beach. Odds are the gun won't cycle anyway if you manage to draw it. And it would take at least that much stupidity to jam the holster. There are a lot more critical moving parts in a gun, and they're much smaller with much tighter tolerances.

I am a Safariland loyalist, because I believe they offer the best retention in a grab situation, and as an added bonus they are felt lined. But I can't honestly tell someone a Serpa is a bad, or unreliable choice. If they were such trash, the thousands and thousands of cops, soldiers and plain OC/CC people who use them would have complained about them a lot more by now.

autosurgeon

imported post

bbvk05 wrote:
Evil Creamsicle wrote:
Or you could always get a Blackhawk SERPA for 30 bucks and get some felt from an arts and crafts store.

I now avoid the SERPA:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McE1zyDiEMQ

That was before the redesign... the same as there is a video of a Fobus failure too that is of a first generation holster.

This problem does not apply anymore.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

:cuss: Postings going haywire - hope OCDO server is not the problem.

Edit to delete and start over.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

bbvk05 wrote:
I now avoid the SERPA:

bbvk05 is posting this all over OCDO - not sure what the agenda is, but it is definitely not a public service announcement.

Yata hey
I give up - you get the idea ! Grapeshot said that.