• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Accidental Discharge?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Nopal wrote:

So, is our responsibilitylargely dependent on whether or not someone gets hurt, that is, largely dependent onluck?

There is andespicable and frightening proposition in this question.

And, I think, the answer is "yes."

Nopal wrote:
If so, should it be?

No. It is unethical for it to be thus.

By leaving it so, we guarantee more misery for some totally innocent people.

inbox485

imported post

MudCamper wrote:
I'm of the opinion that you own every bullet you fire. AD = ND. If you pulled the trigger then you take responsibility.

There are lots of ways to have a legitimate AD without the N. There are a few more that fall somewhere between A and N. The validity behind the AD = ND suggestion is that most legitimate AD's involve either a gun that probably ought not to be loaded in the first place due to a state of disrepair or lack of safety in design, or the gun was super heated either by prolonged rapid fire or external exposure to a heat source. Both occurrences are quite rare these days.

The somewhere between A and N would be things such as the the trigger snagged on something other than a finger discharges or the rapid presentation from a forward canted Serpa holster. Both are design issues that can be mitigated somewhat by the user, but still happen.

Bull Frog

imported post

I've had one AD, which I carefully covered (nobody was injured). It does happen. Ever dropped a hammer, or screwdriver? Miss your foot?

Shit happens, and each AD educates we dummies further, so, when we finally reach the stars, they won't shoot at us automatically. :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

Nopal

imported post

HankT wrote:
Nopal wrote:

So, is our responsibilitylargely dependent on whether or not someone gets hurt, that is, largely dependent onluck?

There is andespicable and frightening proposition in this question.

Nopal wrote:
If so, should it be?

Agreed and Agreed. We live in a society where the measure of morality in many things is dependent on luck. However, despicable as it may be, living in a society where luck is not allowed at all to be a determinant in our judgement of morality would also be despicable and unethical.

It's a funny worldin whichwe live.

Bull Frog

imported post

Nopal wrote:
HankT wrote:
Nopal wrote:

So, is our responsibility largely dependent on whether or not someone gets hurt, that is, largely dependent on luck? 

There is an despicable and frightening proposition in this question. 

No, your chore is to not shoot if a round may injure humans not the target. Get with the program.

Nopal wrote:

If so, should it be?

Agreed and Agreed.  We live in a society where the measure of morality in many things is dependent on luck.  However, despicable as it may be, living in a society where luck is not allowed at all to be a determinant in our judgement of morality would also be despicable and unethical.

It's a funny world in which we live.

Bull Frog

imported post

My last comment was buried above - what said was don't fire if your bullets may strike humans, et cetera, that are not your target.

A quote from G. Khan, while studying how to be a Christian, during the second Crusade, while planning an western invasion.

Save your arrows. His wisdom carried on to the Indians that killed General Custer some time later.