• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Essay I wrote brought it to Bellingham Herald

sudden valley gunner

imported post

There was so much more information I could have brought out. Like the majority of child fatalities or done by mothers. I even made a excel spread sheet from the CDC info that came in handy for statistics. I want to make a line graph comparing it to Death by abuse or neglect, but not that proficient in those programs.

Any way here is what I sent in:

Forget Gun Control We Need Parent Control

Many organizations for gun control use statistics on children related gun deaths to try and further their cause, being a supporter of our second amendment rights I wanted to know more so I started researching.There are awide variety of numbers you find from the anti-gun crowd to the pro-gun crowd. At the same time I was looking into these statistics I heard some reports of child abuseon the news and as it often happens when on the world wide web I was side tracked and started looking into those statistics.

Some figures I could find was on the pediatrics page of about.com, it talked about how well over 2,000 children a day are abused and 4 children a day on average die from child abuse, in the year 2002 approximately 1,400 children.

I was saddened but curious to how this would relate to my original search on gun related deaths for children. This took me to the CDC.gov website (centers for disease control and prevention) 125 accidental firearm related deaths in 2006, 1,623 homicides, 535 suicides, a total of 2,283. I was appalled, even taking out suicides the number was higher. I realized my search needed adjusting I included legal adults otherwise known as 18 year olds. The statistics changed, 105 for unintentional, 1,076 Homicides, 371 for suicides, a total of 1552.A huge percentage drop of 32% for one year, but how does this compare to those deaths caused by abuse?

The data in the previous paragraph was for the year 2006. I decided to research on the CDC site for comparative statistics. I couldn’t use their chart system because it doesn’t specify death by abuse, but the website had some unsettling details. For the same year as the above statistics there were approximately, 1,530 compared to 1,760 deaths by abuse in 2007. So kids dying from abuse were on the rise, also firearm related deaths and those caused by neglect or abuse were fairly even. What disturbed me were the age brackets of deaths caused by abuse, here is the pasted statistics directly from their site.

More than 40 percent (42.2%) of all fatalities were children younger than 1 year, 16.5 percent were children age 1 year, 10.7 percent were children age 2 years and 6.3 percent were children age 3 years. Therefore, 75.7 percent were younger than 4 years old. Nearly 13 percent (12.9%) were between the ages of 4 and 7 years, thus indicating that the majority of children who die from child abuse or neglect are young children

88.6% or 1,355.58 killed by abuse or neglect are the age of seven or younger. They also stated that 5% of deaths from 8-11, and 5% of the age group 12-15, leaving 2% (almost) of the 16 and 17 year olds. A total of 93.6 % of the deaths (1432) under the age of 12 were killed by abuse or neglect while less than 10% (176) were killed by firearms. Here is another statistic pasted directly from there site.

Nearly 70 percent (69.9%) of child fatalities were caused by one or more parents.[suP]5[/suP] More than one-quarter (27.1%) of fatalities were perpetrated by the mother acting alone.[suP]6[/suP] Child fatalities with unknown perpetrators accounted for 16.4 percent.

I take the unknown perpetrator part with a grain of salt, even though, lets break this down; for 2006 949 children under the age of seven were killed by neglect or abuse from their own parents (70% of fatalities from parental neglect). For the same age group there are 24 accidental firearm deaths, 78 murders (probably by their own parents would be my guess) and no suicides. For a total of 102, that means that parents are more than 900% percent dangerous to their children than firearms. The number changes drastically if parents in these statistics killed their own children with a firearm. This doesn’t include those who lost there lives due to other family members or loved ones. Remember it’s only 16.4 percent from unknown perpetrators.

When politicians and anti-gun folk try to institute gun bans in certain areas or just in general “for our kids’ safety” they are doing so not with logic and reason but because of emotion and propaganda. Should we ban parents from our parks and public places they are more dangerous than firearms? Huh, Mayor Nickels?

My closing thoughts are that most of the children related fire arm deaths we hear about in this country are not what they appear to be, first off some kids around 12-13 start joining gangs or associating with gangs and are killing themselves so statistics start being skewed. Also kids 14-17 are having sex/babies, driving, drinking, indulging in drugs and other “adult” activities and are not acting as the children that come to mind when so called experts bring up children related statistics. Something that the propagandists never like to mention is that the majority of those who die with firearms even in the teenage years have criminal records. Lets forget licensing guns and start licensing who can have children; after all it would be for our “kid’s safety”.

Robert M. Stratton

Bill Starks

State Researcher

sudden valley gunner

imported post

"Concerns were raised last night that other councils around the country are adopting similar policies amid confusion over Government rules and increasing hysteria over child protection."

Above quote helps make my point. It's all hysteria, founded upon isolated incidents. Same thing with gun control.

I took the Mayor Nickels comment out for my copy to Bellingham Herald. I forgot to edit that before I posted here. Since it is over 200 words I can't get it published in Seattle times editorial section, which I had that comment in for.

kparker

imported post

SVG,

This could be turned into a very publishable op-ed piece; it just needs a little condensing and tightening up. In particular, I'd start by taking out all the "travelogue" that describes how you found what you found. That's not interesting enough to the average reader to warrant including when space is going to be limited.

In other words, just cite about.com and the CDC as the source of your info, and rewrite the opening paragraphs so they are all about your thesis instead of being about what lead you to think about it.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

kparker wrote:
SVG,

This could be turned into a very publishable op-ed piece; it just needs a little condensing and tightening up. In particular, I'd start by taking out all the "travelogue" that describes how you found what you found. That's not interesting enough to the average reader to warrant including when space is going to be limited.

In other words, just cite about.com and the CDC as the source of your info, and rewrite the opening paragraphs so they are all about your thesis instead of being about what lead you to think about it.
Thanks, I tend to be a story writer used to write quite a bit when younger not much practice on this type of writing. I like your suggestion, I'll do that.

Batousaii

imported post

that's an excellent piece. I found the final figure of 900% more dangerous to be a bit shocking too, so maybe it would help drive the point home.

Well done

suntzu

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
Should we ban parents from our parks and public places they are more dangerous than firearms? Huh, Mayor Nickels?
Parents are being banned from playing with their children in council recreation areas because they have not been vetted by police.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1223528/Parents-banned-supervising-children-playgrounds--case-paedophiles.html#ixzz0VX3K35VJ

The English need to grow a spine and absolutely "demand" their rights back...

Commodore76

imported post

suntzu wrote:
M1Gunr wrote:
Should we ban parents from our parks and public places they are more dangerous than firearms? Huh, Mayor Nickels?
Parents are being banned from playing with their children in council recreation areas because they have not been vetted by police.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1223528/Parents-banned-supervising-children-playgrounds--case-paedophiles.html#ixzz0VX3K35VJ

The English need to grow a spine and absolutely "demand" their rights back...

Easier said than done. Think of what happens in this Country when you demand something. Good luck!

Let this be a lesson to us, if we loose a right, it ain't comin back.

Patriot Act? We've lost so much already. Sad. Why don't we demand that be repealled? Oh, well, we can't. Can we?

Eating away at our rights from the moment it was signed. IF anyone out there has questions as to what we have REALLY lost as a result of the Pat Act, PM me, I'd be more than happy to share. Unfortunately, I can't possible have read all the little references.

While the Act is less than four hundred pages long, it uses the ENTIRE 18 Volume U.S. Code as references. What I've read so far? SCARY!

FunkTrooper

imported post

First of all I thought the CDC stood for Center of Disease Control, what do firearms have to do with disease, second there statistics for child deaths also include gang related deaths so yeah that 14 year old gang banger that you shot and killed in your house is a child killed by a gun.

Please SVG don't talk about banning parents because you're just giving our government Ideas oh how to solve the "freedom problem".

sudden valley gunner

imported post

FunkTrooper wrote:
First of all I thought the CDC stood for Center of Disease Control, what do firearms have to do with disease, second there statistics for child deaths also include gang related deaths so yeah that 14 year old gang banger that you shot and killed in your house is a child killed by a gun.

Please SVG don't talk about banning parents because you're just giving our government Ideas oh how to solve the "freedom problem".

I meant the banning the parents in tongue in cheek of course we aren't going to ban parents from children, I hope. We are a nation of over 300 million folks, the figures even for child abuse are apalling yet still very small, and guns even drastically more so...

http://www.cdc.gov

Its all there I got all my info from that site pretty much, only the first statistics were from the other site.

Commodore76

imported post

FunkTrooper wrote:

Sadly, the CDC does keep track of things such as firearm stats. You may not believe all the different agencies that keep track of firearms related issues. Would you be shocked if I were to tell you that Dept of Ag and Dept of Ed also had stats? Far less reliable, but that is another part of our tax dollars HARD at work.

killchain

imported post

FunkTrooper wrote:

Don't you know? the CDC has juggled for years on calling firearm incidents a "contagious disease."

I'm dead serious.

FunkTrooper

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
FunkTrooper wrote:

I meant the banning the parents in tongue in cheek of course we aren't going to ban parents from children, I hope. We are a nation of over 300 million folks, the figures even for child abuse are apalling yet still very small, and guns even drastically more so...

Commodore76 no I am not surprised other elements of government keep track of gun statistics, there are so many government agencies that no one can keep track of them all.

Commodore76

imported post

FunkTrooper wrote:
sudden valley gunner wrote:
FunkTrooper wrote:

Commodore76 no I am not surprised other elements of government keep track of gun statistics, there are so many government agencies that no one can keep track of them all.
I may not have surprised you personally, was hoping I might surprise someone who read the post and get them lookin into things a little more...

Respectfully,

Commodore

kparker

imported post

Easier said than done

No kidding!

There's a story told about Mark Twain. His publisher once sent him the urgent telegram:

NEED 2-PAGE SHORT STORY TWO DAYS.

Twain replied:

NO CAN DO 2 PAGES TWO DAYS. CAN DO 30 PAGES 2 DAYS. NEED 30 DAYS TO DO 2 PAGES.