• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

In case you missed it on the national thread

Eric.

imported post

Ed, thanks for the post. I am only a recent convert to the concept of openly carrying for myself. I always enjoyed seeing other people openly carry, but my personal past has left me very cautious about offending people. My sidearm is slowly becoming more visible now. Thanks to all of you for paving the way.

ecocks

imported post

Just for local discussion and thought...

There are many things in life which make people uncomfortable. I, for one, an distinctly upset whenever people choose toi inflict their views on abortion on anyone in earshot. I respect freedom of choice and even thoughI believe it's wrong I don't insist on inflicting my judment on others by dousing them with blood or screaming that they are murderers.Thirty years ago, I wasnearly beaten in a Georgia restaurant when a black co-worker and myself went to a Waffle House for a late night meal after workling late into the evening. Seems that two people inside took offense at having to share the dining area with a black man and some (wrongly-perceived) white liberal sidekick.Many people believe Harry Potter encourages legitimacy of the occult and want the books banned from libraries and bookstores.

The list goes on.

Many legalthings in life make people uncomfortable Mr. Cramer. Unfortunately, hiding your beliefs and principles out of fear that they will prove inconvenient rarely provides those ignorant and intolerant individuals with an understanding of the rights of others. As someone pointed out upthread, if it was up to people like you Rosa Parks would have quietly just moved to the back of the bus and shut her whiny, arrogant mouth. Who was she to exercise her rights under the law?

I respect the law, even when it doesn't fit my personal beliefs and interpretations, why don't they respect the law and the rights I am assured?

widescreen

imported post

Repeater wrote:
My article did not propose that open carry should be illegal. There are some unusual circumstances where it might be the best choice — and in some rare circumstances, in some states, it may be the only choice that you have. (Wisconsin, for example, completely prohibits concealed carry of handguns, but does allow open carry.) What I did argue is that gun owners should think long and hard about whether it serves our best interests to offend, disturb, or concern people that would prefer that we keep our guns as well hidden as our excretory organs.

Note to the author...

The article published did not actually argue anything. It shows that whatever logic you think you have... is flawed. To think that OC offends someone is presumptuous. That OC disturbs or concerns is redundant, and your gun and 'excretory organ' comparisons are childish.

As you recall, whenever Mr. Spock were to partake in an away mission, he always carried his phaser and a tricorder. It shows incite on his part, and many of us do the same. Except now we carry a voice recorder instead of those dreadfully bulky tricorders.

I do not write for a living, but perhaps you should find another audience to target for exercising their rights that thousands have died for. Let's see... freedom of speech, freedom of the press, freedom of religion. Why are you not concerning yourself with one of those? I'll tell you why. It's really hard to write and say that our freedom of speech or freedom of the press should be infringed upon. Well that would be silly. You'd be out of a job.

How about convincing those doorbell ringing, Watchtower leaving, Jehovah's Witness's to think long and hard about whether it serves our best interests to offend, disturb, or concern people that would prefer that we keep our religious beliefs as well hidden as our excretory organs.

But I guess inciting that type of community would get a little more negative feedback than writing concerning the Open Carry community huh?

A right unexercised is a right lost.