Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I have to declare a firearm when pulled over?

Post imported post

Been doing a bunch of research, can't find anywhere that says I have to declare a legal firearm when I get pulled over...can anyone correct me?

Banned

Post imported post

eleuthera wrote:
    Been doing a bunch of research, can't find anywhere that says I have to declare a legal firearm when I get pulled over...can anyone correct me?
    I looked for that once myself, I couldn't find that anywhere either. I believe you do not have to claim a fire arm. Although if for some reason they search your vehicle you could tell them at that time if you so choose to do so.

Personally I won't be telling them anything. There is no reason for them to know as far as I am concerned. But that is just my opinion.

By the way, welcome back. Haven't seen you in a while.

Banned
    across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Right. It is not possible to prove a negative universally quantified without examining the entire universe of discourse, in this case every line of Wisc. Stats and Regs.

Post imported post

My understanding from other states is they inform if they have a permit or carrying. Obviously in WI it is hard to hide if you are carrying or not. I wouldn't inform them if I got pulled over because they have no need to know if I have a firearm or not and not like I can even reach for my firearm in my vehicle anyway. :quirky
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

If you have an unloaded andcased firearm in your vehicle, and you readily declare it, you have most likely just given probable for a search. Then they will want to run serial numbers, Etc Etc Etc. it is just not worht the delays and bullschitt involved.

Now if you are asked if you have any firearms, there is no law stating you must answer that question. And I would basically refuse to answer it if I was asked.

Cop: Do you have any firearms in the vehicle?
    Me: "Do I look like I have firearms in my vehicle?" or, "Why do you ask?" If you lie and say that you do not, but you actually do, this may add an obstruction charge to whatever else they are going after.

I see any questions like that as bait to further their fishing expedition. Something as simple as answering the common"Where are you going to/ Coming from?" could lead down to a place you do not want to go.

Instead of sitting there silent, I will usually answer with another question. Depending on the cops initial attitude towards me, is what decides my choices in my answer-questions.

Founder's Club Member bnhcomputing's Avatar

Post imported post

In Wisconsin, you DO NOT have to declare firearms in the vehicle.

Post imported post

eleuthera wrote:
    In Wisconsin you do not have to at all. At this time.

Post imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
    It is not possible to prove a negative universally quantified without examining the entire universe of discourse, in this case every line of Wisc. Stats and Regs.
    True if one uses inductive reasoning only. Deductive reasoning is another matter. I do not have to examine every bachelor to prove there are no married bachelors.

It is simply an example of analytic a priori knowledge.

A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

Banned

Post imported post

A deductive argument can be valid and sound only when its premises are true AND its conclusion is true.

We do not know the truth of the premises of the legal argument but must examine each one for the truth of its black swan-ness.

Your married bachelors is not well formed premise. Cast it into formal symbolic terms to see that it entails a contradiction 'A = not A'.

ETA: Put another way;

I make the positive assertion, scientific and falsifiable, that Statement OP is not in the Wisconsin Statutes. To falsify the assertion requires, as before, examination of the entire universe of discourse line-by-line.

Post imported post

protias wrote:
    My understanding from other states is they inform if they have a permit or carrying.* Obviously in WI it is hard to hide if you are carrying or not.* I wouldn't inform them if I got pulled over because they have no need to know if I have a firearm or not and not like I can even reach for my firearm in my vehicle anyway. :quirky
    It depends on the state, Like everything else with gun laws

Banned

Post imported post

In another state, SC, there are a number of elements to the requirement to ID.

IIRC the contact with the LEO must be in the line of his duty and he must identify himself as LEO. When those criteria are met then the citizen must acknowledge if he is armed and carrying under the terms of his CWP.

If for instance he is carrying in his glovebox, console or trunk then other laws may apply.

Post imported post

SprayAndPray wrote:
    protias wrote:
    My understanding from other states is they inform if they have a permit or carrying. Obviously in WI it is hard to hide if you are carrying or not. I wouldn't inform them if I got pulled over because they have no need to know if I have a firearm or not and not like I can even reach for my firearm in my vehicle anyway. :quirky
    It depends on the state, Like everything else with gun laws
    My understand for eleuthera's question, since it is posted in the WI subforum, he is asking if you have to notify the LEO if you have your firearm on you. Since WI has no vehicle carry, or CC, then the LEO can plainly see if you are carrying or not since OC is the only way we can carry in this state. Perhaps they should be asking criminals if they are CC, to which of course the criminal will always say no.

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

protias wrote:
    My understanding from other states is they inform if they have a permit or carrying.
    Mot in VA. PA, and many or most other stastes - don;t ask, don;t tell!

Post imported post

Mike wrote:
    protias wrote:
    My understanding from other states is they inform if they have a permit or carrying.
    Mot in VA. PA, and many or most other stastes - don;t ask, don;t tell!
    Yes, yes. I did not convey my words well. Some states are must inform, others are may inform.

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar

Post imported post

protias wrote:
    My understand for eleuthera's question, since it is posted in the WI subforum, he is asking if you have to notify the LEO if you have your firearm on you.* Since WI has no vehicle carry, or CC, then the LEO can plainly see if you are carrying or not since OC is the only way we can carry in this state.* Perhaps they should be asking criminals if they are CC, to which of course the criminal will always say no.
    The OP made asked 'Do I have to declare a firearm when pulled over?'

So, WI doesn't allow carry in a car so I assume he means properly stowed in the vehicle. My take is that you don't have to 'declare' it but if asked a direct question, you can't lie. You can refuse to answer but shouldn't lie.

Banned

Post imported post

paul@paul-fisher.com wrote:
    if asked a direct question, you can't lie. You can refuse to answer but shouldn't lie.
    'Can't' or 'shouldn't'? There is a difference.

If the detention is baseless then obstruction is unlikely.

Post imported post

As I understand it, lying to an officer can be interpreted as "Hindering an Officer" which is a great to screw up your day.

Any question you might feel inclined to answer with a lie, you should just refuse to answer.
    Cleveland's Holsters, LLC https://clevelandsholsters.com/

"When your life depends on it, you can depend on Cleveland's Holsters!"

Made in Wisconsin with 100% American manufactured materials.

We give away a free holster every month on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cleve...19323708154588

Banned

Founder's Club Member bnhcomputing's Avatar

Post imported post

cleveland wrote:
    As I understand it, lying to an officer can be interpreted as "Hindering an Officer" which is a great to screw up your day.

Any question you might feel inclined to answer with a lie, you should just refuse to answer.
    Always remember rule #1, and if you somehow "feel inclined" to talk to the police, then remember rule #2.

#1 NEVER talk to police.

#2 See Rule #1

Post imported post

That's funny!

We give away a free holster every month on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cleve...19323708154588

Banned

Post imported post

The video lessons are posted here in the Wisconsin sub-forum.

There is as much wrangling about proper conduct by the cops as by legally armed citizens.

It is very much the wedge issue between legally armed citizens and sheeple-dogs.

McX

Post imported post

I think when your pulled over you have to declare your religion if any, who you voted for last, and your position on abortion.

Banned

Post imported post

cleveland wrote:
    That's funny!
    Yeah, but did you get the message?

Post imported post

Yes, however there is more to it. If I am stopped by an officer, then keeping my mouth shut is the correct thing to do. On the other hand if I witness a violent crime, it is my civic duty to talk with the police about it. So you point is correct, it just can not be taken literally.

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

cleveland wrote:
    Yes, however there is more to it. If I am stopped by an officer, then keeping my mouth shut is the correct thing to do. On the other hand if I witness a violent crime, it is my civic duty to talk with the police about it. So you point is correct, it just can not be taken literally.
    Civic Duty?
    There is no law currently written that states you must answer any questions

When detained by the police, you have nothing forcing you to speak with them, You have the right to remain silent. Any questions asking what you are doing, where you are coming from/going to, are asked only to gain probable cause for the police to search, arrest or otherwise.

as I advocated before, I do not sit there silent (unless I really want to piss them off) I simply reply with questions to their questions, or change the subject entirely.

For instance: the officer asks, "Do you have any firearms in the vehicle?"
    A simple reply without obstructing would be "Why do you ask?" Or "Do you see any firearms in my vehicle?"
    If you tell them that you do not have any firearms, and they do get probable cause for a search, you can probably expect an obstructing charge to be added on to whatever else they think they got you for.

Don't lie, Just don't answer their questions. A deaf-mute has the ability to stay silent, so should you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast