• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do I have to declare a firearm when pulled over?

eleuthera

imported post

Been doing a bunch of research, can't find anywhere that says I have to declare a legal firearm when I get pulled over...can anyone correct me?

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

eleuthera wrote:
Been doing a bunch of research, can't find anywhere that says I have to declare a legal firearm when I get pulled over...can anyone correct me?
I looked for that once myself, I couldn't find that anywhere either. I believe you do not have to claim a fire arm. Although if for some reason they search your vehicle you could tell them at that time if you so choose to do so.

Personally I won't be telling them anything. There is no reason for them to know as far as I am concerned. But that is just my opinion.

By the way, welcome back. Haven't seen you in a while.

protias

imported post

My understanding from other states is they inform if they have a permit or carrying. Obviously in WI it is hard to hide if you are carrying or not. I wouldn't inform them if I got pulled over because they have no need to know if I have a firearm or not and not like I can even reach for my firearm in my vehicle anyway. :quirky

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

If you have an unloaded andcased firearm in your vehicle, and you readily declare it, you have most likely just given probable for a search. Then they will want to run serial numbers, Etc Etc Etc. it is just not worht the delays and bullschitt involved.

Now if you are asked if you have any firearms, there is no law stating you must answer that question. And I would basically refuse to answer it if I was asked.

Cop: Do you have any firearms in the vehicle?
Me: "Do I look like I have firearms in my vehicle?" or, "Why do you ask?" If you lie and say that you do not, but you actually do, this may add an obstruction charge to whatever else they are going after.

I see any questions like that as bait to further their fishing expedition. Something as simple as answering the common"Where are you going to/ Coming from?" could lead down to a place you do not want to go.

Instead of sitting there silent, I will usually answer with another question. Depending on the cops initial attitude towards me, is what decides my choices in my answer-questions.

AaronS

imported post

eleuthera wrote:
In Wisconsin you do not have to at all. At this time.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
It is not possible to prove a negative universally quantified without examining the entire universe of discourse, in this case every line of Wisc. Stats and Regs.
True if one uses inductive reasoning only. Deductive reasoning is another matter. I do not have to examine every bachelor to prove there are no married bachelors.

It is simply an example of analytic a priori knowledge.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

A deductive argument can be valid and sound only when its premises are true AND its conclusion is true.

We do not know the truth of the premises of the legal argument but must examine each one for the truth of its black swan-ness.

Your married bachelors is not well formed premise. Cast it into formal symbolic terms to see that it entails a contradiction 'A = not A'.

ETA: Put another way;

I make the positive assertion, scientific and falsifiable, that Statement OP is not in the Wisconsin Statutes. To falsify the assertion requires, as before, examination of the entire universe of discourse line-by-line.

SprayAndPray

imported post

protias wrote:
My understanding from other states is they inform if they have a permit or carrying.  Obviously in WI it is hard to hide if you are carrying or not.  I wouldn't inform them if I got pulled over because they have no need to know if I have a firearm or not and not like I can even reach for my firearm in my vehicle anyway. :quirky

It depends on the state, Like everything else with gun laws

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

In another state, SC, there are a number of elements to the requirement to ID.

IIRC the contact with the LEO must be in the line of his duty and he must identify himself as LEO. When those criteria are met then the citizen must acknowledge if he is armed and carrying under the terms of his CWP.

If for instance he is carrying in his glovebox, console or trunk then other laws may apply.

protias

imported post

SprayAndPray wrote:
protias wrote:
My understanding from other states is they inform if they have a permit or carrying. Obviously in WI it is hard to hide if you are carrying or not. I wouldn't inform them if I got pulled over because they have no need to know if I have a firearm or not and not like I can even reach for my firearm in my vehicle anyway. :quirky

It depends on the state, Like everything else with gun laws
My understand for eleuthera's question, since it is posted in the WI subforum, he is asking if you have to notify the LEO if you have your firearm on you. Since WI has no vehicle carry, or CC, then the LEO can plainly see if you are carrying or not since OC is the only way we can carry in this state. Perhaps they should be asking criminals if they are CC, to which of course the criminal will always say no.

protias

imported post

Mike wrote:
protias wrote:
My understanding from other states is they inform if they have a permit or carrying.
Mot in VA. PA, and many or most other stastes - don;t ask, don;t tell!
Yes, yes. I did not convey my words well. Some states are must inform, others are may inform.

paul@paul-fisher.com

imported post

protias wrote:
My understand for eleuthera's question, since it is posted in the WI subforum, he is asking if you have to notify the LEO if you have your firearm on you.  Since WI has no vehicle carry, or CC, then the LEO can plainly see if you are carrying or not since OC is the only way we can carry in this state.  Perhaps they should be asking criminals if they are CC, to which of course the criminal will always say no.

The OP made asked 'Do I have to declare a firearm when pulled over?'

So, WI doesn't allow carry in a car so I assume he means properly stowed in the vehicle. My take is that you don't have to 'declare' it but if asked a direct question, you can't lie. You can refuse to answer but shouldn't lie.

cleveland

imported post

As I understand it, lying to an officer can be interpreted as "Hindering an Officer" which is a great to screw up your day.

Any question you might feel inclined to answer with a lie, you should just refuse to answer.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

cleveland wrote:
As I understand it, lying to an officer can be interpreted as "Hindering an Officer" which is a great to screw up your day.

Any question you might feel inclined to answer with a lie, you should just refuse to answer.
Always remember rule #1, and if you somehow "feel inclined" to talk to the police, then remember rule #2.

#1 NEVER talk to police.

#2 See Rule #1