• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Quick question with SPD on phone

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

Because I am not legally able to open carry a handgun, I am stuck with what SPD calls an ASP, (my extendable baton). I asked if there were any laws against it, (called south precinct) officer sounded very grumpy and said no, I asked if there was anything else I needed to be concerned about and he replied with " Why are you asking me again, I already gave you an answer". Very grumpy.

Called East precinct just to make sure. Officer here was a bit nicer, also asked me if I was familiar with open carry, and I said "very familiar" and he replied with "Yes, there are people walking around with handguns with no permit, and that is how you get shot."
I told him "That is more of a personal opinion, but have a nice day officer."

Anyways heading to Seattle now, now I can strut around with my ASP on my belt unconcealed at the ready. Hopefully I am not bringing an ASP to a gunfight.

So anyways, remember as you are carrying openly, as the officer at the East precinct says, "That is how you get shot!" ;)

Have a nice day guys, I know I will, except for that fact I missed the bus calling up SPD. :(

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Poosharker wrote:
Because I am not legally able to open carry a handgun, I am stuck with what SPD calls an ASP, (my extendable baton). I asked if there were any laws against it, (called south precinct) officer sounded very grumpy and said no, I asked if there was anything else I needed to be concerned about and he replied with " Why are you asking me again, I already gave you an answer". Very grumpy.

Called East precinct just to make sure. Officer here was a bit nicer, also asked me if I was familiar with open carry, and I said "very familiar" and he replied with "Yes, there are people walking around with handguns with no permit, and that is how you get shot."

Anyways heading to Seattle now, now I can strut around with my ASP on my belt unconcealed at the ready. Hopefully I am not bringing an ASP to a gunfight.

So anyways, remember as you are carrying openly, as the officer at the East precinct says, "That is how you get shot!" ;)

Have a nice day guys, I know I will, except for that fact I missed the bus calling up SPD. :(
Maybe it was a threat? He likes to shoot open carriers. :?

antispam540

imported post

Are ASP batons illegal on a per-city basis? Last I checked, they're both deadly weapons and bludgeons. It'd be awesome if I could carry mine with me though...

Boo Boo

Banned
imported post

antispam540 wrote:
Are ASP batons illegal on a per-city basis? Last I checked, they're both deadly weapons and bludgeons. It'd be awesome if I could carry mine with me though...
well if you go by what NavyLT says
[align=left]

"As a general principal, if an act is not prohibited by law then that act is legal. "[/align]

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Boo Boo wrote:
antispam540 wrote:

[align=left]

"As a general principal, if an act is not prohibited by law then that act is legal. "[/align]

Thats not just what NavyLT says its pretty much how laws work. Laws are there to show what is prohibited, generally speaking though.

But so I don't get a lecture, I am not a lawyer and in no way is this legal advice.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Poosharker wrote:
I asked if there were any laws against it, (called south precinct) officer sounded very grumpy and said no...Very grumpy.
Perhaps he was grumpy because cops aren't lawyers. Its not their job or function to dispense what is essentially legal advice.

It is always best to research statutes oneself if at all possible.

Commodore76

imported post

Boo Boo wrote:
antispam540 wrote:

[align=left]

Is it legal to make scrambled eggs? Well, there's no law against it so it must be legal.

It is more than just accepted logic, if there is no law to prohibit, than it is legal. Look up the beastiality (Sp?) case in Enumclaw. Hard to charge the guy when there wasn't a law on the books. Authors note: If it seems wrong, IT PROBABLY IS! DON'T ABUSE ANIMALS!

Commodore76

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
Poosharker wrote:

Maybe it was a threat? He likes to shoot open carriers. :?
Next time, ask the officer if you can quote him for the story you're writing... :banghead:

Boo Boo

Banned
imported post

Commodore76 wrote:
Is it legal to make scrambled eggs? Well, there's no law against it so it must be legal.

It is more than just accepted logic, if there is no law to prohibit, than it is legal. Look up the beastiality (Sp?) case in Enumclaw. Hard to charge the guy when there wasn't a law on the books. Authors note: If it seems wrong, IT PROBABLY IS! DON'T ABUSE ANIMALS!
actually they ruled theanimals weren't abused thats why no charges where filed

Commodore76

imported post

Boo Boo wrote:
Commodore76 wrote:

actually they ruled theanimals weren't abused thats why no charges where filed

That may be why there was not an abuse charge filed. There were no beastiality charges due toa serious lack of those laws as well.

Let's move on, I used that to illustrate a point. Dear God, let's not debate animal rights now, we have enough on our collective plates!

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

I told him I had a telescopic baton, which is the name for it, and he was confused, and kept asking does it extend, and I finally replied yes, yes, it extends. Both told me there were no laws against having an ASP. Now, TUKWILA police, I was in my home, and the police came knocking on my door, I had my ASP on my belt on my shorts, and the cop was rather nice about it telling me, it had to be concealed and if it was concealed I had to have a permit for that.

Now I had asked East precinct officer about whether Concealed Weapons Permit applies to all weapons, and he just told me it applies to firearms. Could someone help me clear this up? I understand you are not lawyers, but it is confusing. Concealed WEAPONS Permits.... so anyways, I have always been tucking my shirt over my ASP whenever in Seattle, and I know there have been times when it was not hidden, but nobody has ever bothered me about it. And yes I was pretty good at baseball when I was younger so maybe I will bat those bad buy bullets away :).

Also, I met another elderly woman in the apartment building my grandmother resides in, and she told me it was perfectly legal to have her pepper spray on her keychain out in the open and if anybody ever cited her for it, they would be an idiot.

Tawnos

imported post

WA has Concealed Pistols Licenses, not Concealed Weapons Permits. Collapsible batons are not covered by state preemption, and are on a city-by-city basis. For each city, you must look at the municipal codes to determine the legality.

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

Poosharker wrote:
I told him I had a telescopic baton, which is the name for it, and he was confused, and kept asking does it extend, and I finally replied yes, yes, it extends. Both told me there were no laws against having an ASP. Now, TUKWILA police, I was in my home, and the police came knocking on my door, I had my ASP on my belt on my shorts, and the cop was rather nice about it telling me, it had to be concealed and if it was concealed I had to have a permit for that.

Now I had asked East precinct officer about whether Concealed Weapons Permit applies to all weapons, and he just told me it applies to firearms. Could someone help me clear this up? I understand you are not lawyers, but it is confusing. Concealed WEAPONS Permits.... so anyways, I have always been tucking my shirt over my ASP whenever in Seattle, and I know there have been times when it was not hidden, but nobody has ever bothered me about it. And yes I was pretty good at baseball when I was younger so maybe I will bat those bad buy bullets away :).

Also, I met another elderly woman in the apartment building my grandmother resides in, and she told me it was perfectly legal to have her pepper spray on her keychain out in the open and if anybody ever cited her for it, they would be an idiot.

It's called a CPL. That stands for Concealed Pistol License.

That being said, i have no idea if there is a separate license for the ASP but I highly doubt it. However, I think that concealing it could lead to a charge of carrying a concealed weapon. I'd carry it openly, as there doesn't seem to be law against it.

Or you could carry a hammer.

Trigger Dr

imported post

Prior to the Concealed PIstol License, Washington had a Concealed Weapons Licensed that covered knives, batons, guns etc.

The Tukwilly ossifer probably had not kept abreast of the laws.

Boo Boo

Banned
imported post

the old cwp still was only for pistols they just changed the name so people wouldn't be confused

grishnav

imported post

Poosharker wrote:
Pepper spray is preempted and legal for everyone over 18, 14 with parental permission. It might be a better choice for you than an ASP.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.91.160

Personal protection spray devices.
(1) It is unlawful for a person under eighteen years old, unless the person is at least fourteen years old and has the permission of a parent or guardian to do so, to purchase or possess a personal protection spray device. A violation of this subsection is a misdemeanor.

(2) No town, city, county, special purpose district, quasi-municipal corporation or other unit of government may prohibit a person eighteen years old or older, or a person fourteen years old or older who has the permission of a parent or guardian to do so, from purchasing or possessing a personal protection spray device or from using such a device in a manner consistent with the authorized use of force under RCW 9A.16.020. No town, city, county, special purpose district, quasi-municipal corporation, or other unit of government may prohibit a person eighteen years old or older from delivering a personal protection spray device to a person authorized to possess such a device.

(3) For purposes of this section:

(a) "Personal protection spray device" means a commercially available dispensing device designed and intended for use in self-defense and containing a nonlethal sternutator or lacrimator agent, including but not limited to:

(i) Tear gas, the active ingredient of which is either chloracetophenone (CN) or O-chlorobenzylidene malonotrile (CS); or

(ii) Other agent commonly known as mace, pepper mace, or pepper gas.

(b) "Delivering" means actual, constructive, or attempted transferring from one person to another.

(4) Nothing in this section authorizes the delivery, purchase, possession, or use of any device or chemical agent that is otherwise prohibited by state law.
[1994 sp.s. c 7 § 514.]

Notes:Finding -- Intent -- Severability -- 1994 sp.s. c 7: See notes following RCW 43.70.540.