• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need help understanding laws

Sionadi

imported post

Well im not the best understanding reader when it comes to reading laws. Well i have been wanting to open carry for a while but i have been to young (im 19 now) and after visiting http://www.californiaopencarry.org and reading a few articles i still dont know much. So can someone help me understand all the laws for OC in CA?

much thanks,
John

NightOwl

imported post

What do you understand and what don't you? A complete run down of all gun laws will undoubtedly be rather lengthy. I certainly can't get into all of it (I'm still getting up to speed on CA gun laws) but I'll try to touch on a little bit of it.

No OC within 1000' of a school. Some exceptions for private property, but even the exceptions have exceptions, so personally I'd just try to avoid that altogether if at allpossible.

The weapon must be unloaded (this includes an empty magazine, or no magazine at all in the weapon). You may carry full magazines on your person, openly, or bullets not in a magazine in your pocket/concealed.

You may OC in a vehicle. Be very careful that it's not obstructed (concealed)by things like armrests. Same thing about proximity to schools applies, so there are potential problems if you drive near a school, regardless of if you know it or not.

Not a law, but carrying an audio recorder on your person while you're OC might be in your best interest should you get hassled, so you have proof of the events of the encounter. If there's a password or means of locking the device to prevent someone from turning it off or erasing the contents of the recording that could be useful (not sure if such a thing exists, here in Idaho the laws are so much nicer and hassle-free, so I don't bother).

I'm sure there's much more, and others will fill in where I missed or messed up (I think that's all correct though, verify anybody?). Hope it helps.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Sionadi wrote:
So can someone help me understand all the laws for OC in CA?
That's a tall order my friend. There are a whole ton of laws. We can't just type a few sentences and cover everything. Maybe if you could summarize what your understanding is from what you've read so far, then we can just correct the parts you have wrong.

NightOwl

imported post

Ahh, thanks a bunch man. I'd browsed through 'em before, but forgot about them. Time to give them a second look, since I'm moving back to that armpit-state of the country. (I've been rereading what I know of CA gun laws to reaquaint myself with the differencesbetween there and Idaho, since I'm going to be there for work for about 6 months).

Sionadi

imported post

well i just watched those videos (thanks by the way very helpful)

just a couple things that i need help understanding,
1: when in a car does my firearm have to be in a locked case? or can i leave it on my hip?

2: it is legal to cover up the serial code as shown in the video right?

3: is there any other places i can not be at while OCing?

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Sionadi wrote:
well i just watched those videos (thanks by the way very helpful)

just a couple things that i need help understanding,
1: when in a car does my firearm have to be in a locked case? or can i leave it on my hip?

No law prohibits having a firearm in a car. The laws are exactly the same if you're in a car or on foot.

2: it is legal to cover up the serial code as shown in the video right?

Maybe. While I believe it is not illegal, I strongly believe some DAs will prosecute anyway. I'm not personally willing to risk being the test case. You would have to weigh the risks yourself and decide if SN-covering is above your own risk-aversion threshold.

3: is there any other places i can not be at while OCing?

Several... "Gun Free School Zones", College/university campuses/buildings, public buildings (read PC 171b, et al), federal buildings (post office, et al). I think I got them all...

Oh, and check local ordinances. Localities can regulate the possession of firearms on land the locality owns/controls (e.g. county fairgrounds). Some localities also have general prohibitions on possession in public places, but these prohibitions are preempted by state law, and are unenforceable. (Though some DA may try prosecuting anyhow -- refer to above risk-aversion rant.)
My replies in bold above; hope this is helpful.