• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Range 15 Fort Lewis

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Excellent day at the range with my uncle. $5 per person range fee and a $1.50 for the target. The left side is set up for pistols at 10 & 20 yards. The right side is for rifles 25, 50, 75, 150, 300 yards.
Concrete platforms, heavy shooting tables and a covered shooting area. No more visits to the pit for me. No holster drawing, rapid fire (double taps ok).
Ammo is avail - 9mm was $11.50 a box, .45 was $18 a box other calibers available as well.

ALL weapons used at the range/ brought on to Ft. Lewis have to be registered with the Provost Marshal's office. Its a simple process and they mail you a form back that you keep with the weapons when you bring them on post.

pistol-area.jpg

range-15-hq.jpg

rifle-area.jpg

rifle-out-300-yds.jpg

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Nice for those 'structured' days.... like sighting in a rifle.. or teaching the basics...

But this....

No holster drawing, rapid fire (double taps ok).

Kills it for me...

A lot of my training is draw, acquire, shoot, move, acquire, etc....

Another thing I do is unload the mag as fast/accurately as possible, in a controlled manner... 3 or 4 seconds to dump 13 rounds in a controlled manner... I'd get kicked out for sure... even though it's completely safe.. I'll usually get everything on paper, maybe a miss or two, @ 5-10 yards.... On standard 23x35 targets...

Muscle memory is where it's at ;)

JMHO

SpyderTattoo

imported post

Excelent pics. Very nice range as faras I'm concerned. Cleaner looking than Renton Fish and Game club (won't be going back there again...). I've been meaning to go out to range 15 to zero my AR.

oldkim

imported post

Just remember to enter Fort Lewis itself you need to check in at the security office.

Make sure you have a current ID, insurance and vehicle registration.

http://www.lewis.army.mil/visit_requests/index.htm

Call MWR to get info on how to register your firearm with the Provost.

*Just remember if you screw up on Fort Lewis it's a Federal offense.

Direct information on Range 15 from Fort Lewis MWR

http://www.fortlewismwr.com/skeetnpistol.htm

It's a nice clean range - typical for the military. Not your average DA is going to go through all the security to shoot here. I haven't shoot there for over a decade now since I got out of the army.

As for RFGC - as a member I am disappointed but it is a public/member range. We're fortunate to have so many choices here in the NW.

RFGC is one of the only ranges that will allow me to conduct my shoots"Shooting Like the Good Old Days - Shooting on the Move." Hopefully I will get another one up and running soon (as my schedule permits).

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/30912.html

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Just remember to enter Fort Lewis itself you need to check in at the security office.
Negative.... You may enter through the "East Gate" without obtaining a pass since range 15 is outside the main post area.

Call MWR to get info on how to register your firearm with the Provost.
No need to call. Go to to the front gate and get a pass to enter the post. Proceed to the "Vehicle Registration Office" MINUS your weapons. All you need is a list of the weapons you want to register ( make, model, type, serial & caliber). They will issue you a 30 day temp permit and will mail you a registration in 30 days.
Any time you bring those weapons on post you must have that form with you. Weapons must be cased and secured away from occupants with ammo separate from weapon.

Hey couldya reduce the size of those pics for formatting?
I didn't realize folks were still using anything less than a 1024x780 res. Myself i use a 1280 x1024 res. They have now been resized to 800x600.

deanf

imported post

I didn't realize folks were still using anything less than a 1024x780 res.

Thanks for resizing. Original pics were 1024x768, so that takes up the whole width of a monitor set at 1024x768, causing the vertical scroll bar because of the other frames that the forum renders on the screen.

Thanks again. Nothing I hate more that a vertical scroll bar in a web forum.

Bobarino

imported post

enter through the East Gate and no need to register anything. Range 15 is not on post.

Pacific Ave to the Roy "Y", go right, right again at the East Gate sign and head down the road. poof, you're there and don't have to pass any checkpoints.

and i agree, it's my favorite place to shoot too

Bobby

Mainsail

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
ALL weapons used at the range/ brought on to Ft. Lewis have to be registered with the Provost Marshal's office. Its a simple process and they mail you a form back that you keep with the weapons when you bring them on post.
I was there today shooting my RFB. I saw the sign about the registration for the first time, never knew that. I still won't register though. For military or retirees, it's $4.50 and there's no charge for targets. I get there by driving south on I5 and coming in through the main gate.

Unicorn

imported post

Bobarino wrote:
enter through the East Gate and no need to register anything. Range 15 is not on post. 

Pacific Ave to the Roy "Y", go right, right again at the East Gate sign and head down the road.  poof, you're there and don't have to pass any checkpoints.

and i agree, it's my favorite place to shoot too

Bobby

That is on post. It's not in the access controlled portion but that is still Ft. Lewis and therefore does require resgistration. They are just extremely lax about requiring visitors to post to have passes, and don't bother checking for registration. That could change at any time the Post Commander felt like it though.