• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

friends pushing me to conceal

boomer92266

imported post

i have been having a bit of a problem lately, i have somefriends who have already got their c.c.p. and are hounding me to do the same. now i already talked to my wife a while back and was thinking of getting it next year. but they don't beleive in open carry, they say its wrong and will soon be illegaland no stores will allow you in. they have been my friends for a number of years and i have open carried longer than i've knowned them, i have never had a problem open carrying but i have not went in any stores lately either with my gun on. i know concealing would keep looks down, but open carry is legal and i don't think i'm doing anything wrong by doing it. do any of you think it will be illegal to open carry some day?, and that all stores will be conceal or don't pack? i have alrady decided to continue to open carry , but would like anyone elses opinion on this. thank you for any help.

WCrawford

imported post

In KY, there is very little chance of OC becomming illegal. OC is protected by KY's constitution.

Might I suggest that you take your friends on an OC outing (maybe a lunch or dinner) where you all are OCing to let them experience the freedom and lack of reaction.

langzaiguy

imported post

Crawford's right, it would take a constitutional amendment to ban OC.

I get really irritated with the whole CC vs OC debate. I do both and am a firm believer that you should simply carry in the way you are comfortable with. If your friends aren't comfortable OCing, that's fine, but they shouldn't try to "convert" you.

I would agree with them that it's a great idea to get your CCDW. That way you can carry in any way virtually anytime you want to.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Given that OC is legal in 42 states (26 require no permit) I doubt seriously that OC will ever be outlawed.

I find it facinating that some folks seem to have a fear of persecution if they excercise a Constitutionally protected Right. Why do they feel that they need to hide what they are doing? Where is their courage?

I've been carrying for a bit over a year, now. I had never carried a gun in public before in my life. I was determined that I was going to OC when ever possible, when I started. Sure, I was nervous in the beginning, but I found that no one made a big deal about it. I may get looks sometimes, most of time they are just quick glances or a short double take, but no one has called the cops or fled in a panic. I've yet to get a negative remark about my sidearm on my hip. In contrast, I normally get positive remarks or queries about what (manufacturer and/or cal) I'm carrying.

It irritates me to no end that I grew up in Ky and never new that OC was legal until I found this site and forums. Had I known then what I know now, I would have OC'd when I lived there. I still have family in Crittenden/Caldwell counties, and I now OC when ever I go for a visit. Haven't had a problem over it yet.

Liberty4Ever

imported post

If open carry ever were to become illegal, it'd be the result of the beliefs and behavior of people exactly like your friends, who insist on hiding to practice an unalienable right of all free people.

I conceal carry all the time. I also open carry on occasion, specifically to safeguard our liberty and keep the public educated.

Look at the People's Republic of California. Open carry is technically legal, but you're required to carry an unloaded firearm. Huh?!? And people trreat you like you're a deranged criminal. And the police routinely accost you to verify that your firearm is unloaded. Mmmmm. Can you smell the freedom? And now, California just passed a law that goes into effect next summer that will only allow Californians to buy 50 rounds of handgun ammo per month, and only after submitting a thumb print and proof of ID. No ammunition will be shipped into California. This is exactly the sort of liberty robbing nonsense you get when you start hiding to practice your liberties and you let those who would rob you of your liberty get the upper hand through the intimidation of public opinion.

chris in va

imported post

It's not the legality issue that will be the problem, it's private businesses 'banning' carry in their place of business or property. I see it a lot here in Louisville.

You would do well to go ahead and get your permit so you have more options.

Beau

imported post

I live in IN and signs have no force of law. If asked to leave and you refuse then you have a problem.

Do signs have force of law in KY?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

langzaiguy wrote:
Crawford's right, it would take a constitutional amendment to ban OC.

I get really irritated with the whole CC vs OC debate. I do both and am a firm believer that you should simply carry in the way you are comfortable with. If your friends aren't comfortable OCing, that's fine, but they shouldn't try to "convert" you.
It's a right to bear arms, not a right to CC or OC. Unlikely that it will go away in Kentucky. I just don't see it happening.

langzaiguy wrote:
I would agree with them that it's a great idea to get your CCDW. That way you can carry in any way virtually anytime you want to.
This advice has always made sense. And it makes sense in any state that has both OC and CC...

Statesman

imported post

Have your friends read the post below.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum6/7507.html

PDF: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/attachment.php?id=1438

[align=center]OPEN CARRY VS. CONCEALED CARRY[/align] [align=center]Revision 1.24[/align] [align=center]Written By: Garry E. Harvey
Contributing Editors: OpenCarry.org Members
[/align]
The purpose of this essay is to examine the two competing points of view within the handgun carry community and consider each one for its merits, both good and bad, from a common sense and logical point of view.

RJHORSE66

imported post

personally i have my ccdwlbut i oc most of the timeand there is times i cover it up for no certain reason.. its just covenient if you have your ccdwl but there is nothing wrong with oc'ing like i said i do it's our right to do so but you have to do what you are most comfortible doing,dont be pushed into it byany one because you will be uncomfortible doing it.. ( but it is nice to be able tocclegally !!) :cool:

chewy352

imported post

Liberty4Ever wrote:
If open carry ever were to become illegal, it'd be the result of the beliefs and behavior of people exactly like your friends, who insist on hiding to practice an unalienable right of all free people.

I conceal carry all the time. I also open carry on occasion, specifically to safeguard our liberty and keep the public educated.

Look at the People's Republic of California. Open carry is technically legal, but you're required to carry an unloaded firearm. Huh?!? And people trreat you like you're a deranged criminal. And the police routinely accost you to verify that your firearm is unloaded. Mmmmm. Can you smell the freedom? And now, California just passed a law that goes into effect next summer that will only allow Californians to buy 50 rounds of handgun ammo per month, and only after submitting a thumb print and proof of ID. No ammunition will be shipped into California. This is exactly the sort of liberty robbing nonsense you get when you start hiding to practice your liberties and you let those who would rob you of your liberty get the upper hand through the intimidation of public opinion.

Actually it applies to all ammo. Also we will not be able to purchase online, ammo in stores can not be visible/accessible to customers, dealers must get additional licensing, and records must be kept about purchasers and their purchases and made available to DOJ on request.

Liberty4Ever

imported post

chewy352 wrote:
Actually it applies to all ammo. Also we will not be able to purchase online, ammo in stores can not be visible/accessible to customers, dealers must get additional licensing, and records must be kept about purchasers and their purchases and made available to DOJ on request.
Sux2BU

I hate the nanny state.:cuss:

v8shoguy

imported post

langzaiguy wrote:
I would agree with them that it's a great idea to get your CCDW. That way you can carry in any way virtually anytime you want to
My advice:

Take the course. Pay the bribe. Get your card that says you can wear your clothes however you feel like.

That's what I did. OC 95% of the time, but it's good to be able to cover up when going into places that are listed in KRS but not technically off-limits. I refuse to become a statistic because someone feels that a sign is a good idea.