• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT - Lost a SPD Officer tonight

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

One of my friends lived in the CD until he recently moved to Shoreline, his house was robbed, it's really unfortunate that I am not surprised an officer was shot there. When I was a bit younger I was wearing some "blue clothes" and some asswipe shot a bottle rocket at me and followed me until a metro driver stopped in the middle of the road and mugged them down until they left. Bad neighborhood, we need more hunters!

swatspyder

imported post

http://www.seattlecrime.com/2009/10/31/officer-down

Update 2: Police have been notified that a man who was let out of jail earlier tonight had made threats against officers. According to King County Jail records, the man was booked into KCJ yesterday for "Threats."

Update 3: It appears that someone from the scene has been transported to Harborview. Multiple units have been called in from other precincts to assist at 29th & Yelser.
Update 4: The Seattle Times is reporting that the officer was killed.
Update 5: It appears police may have made contact with the man who made threats against officers earlier today. Still unclear if this is related to the shooting. Court records indicate the man has previously been charged with for drugs, assault, and "attempting to elude" police.

jbone

imported post

Heard it on thescanner. Terrible.Vehicle descriptionwas a grayhatchback with rear louvers and bullet holes in the back of vehicle.

grishnav

imported post

jbone wrote:
Heard it on thescanner. Terrible.Vehicle descriptionwas a grayhatchback with rear louvers and bullet holes in the back of vehicle.
Heh, that's funny, I heard about it on the scanner, too. Would have recorded it, but I was taking a shower at the time.

I remember hearing one officer screaming for medical and knowing at that moment exactly what happened, even though they hadn't said it yet.

I also heard them organize a little procession for him.

I thought they banned automatic weapons so that people couldn't commit driveby shootings. Guess the cop can't really be dead, now can he?

grishnav

imported post

http://spdblotter.seattle.gov/2009/11/01/officer-shot-and-killed/

Officer shot and killed On October 31st, shortly after 10:00 p.m., a Field Training Officer (FTO) and his female student officer were parked in their patrol car in the 100 Block of 29th Avenue South. The student officer was seated in the driver’s seat and the FTO was in the passenger seat. A vehicle that has been described as a light-colored sedan pulled up next to the parked patrol car and the suspect(s) fired multiple shots into the patrol car. The Field Training Officer was struck multiple times, killing him. The student officer received minor injuries. She was able to get out of the patrol car, return fire several times to the fleeing suspect vehicle, and call for additional units. Officers from all precincts responded, as well as Homicide and CSI. This investigation is very much active and ongoing, and is a priority for the Department.Information is limited at this time, as it is still early in the investigation. There is a press conference tenatively scheduled for later this afternoon, where we hope to provide additional information.

5jeffro7

imported post

grishnav wrote:
I thought they banned automatic weapons so that people couldn't commit driveby shootings. Guess the cop can't really be dead, now can he?

I see the point you're trying to make, but with all due respect, there is a time to make political statements or statements regarding one's cause, but there is also a time for respect. Please don't take this wrong, but lets offer the fallen officer at least some degree of respect by not using his death as a soap box..before he's even cold.

JM2CW

YAMMV

DEROS72

imported post

Would be a good time for OCDO to show support for SPD.That they know we are with them.

Kildars

imported post

This is very sad news. I have a good friend who is a field training officer for spd and I was worried. Luckily he's okay.

I agree that this isn't the time to use this murder for political reasons. Just pray for his family. Can't wait until they find the douchebag who did this. I'm interested in more details though . Random? Revenge? Gang initiation?

Ps where do u guys get ur scanners?

swatspyder

imported post

Washington CeaseFire was on KIRO saying the same old, "this is why we want to ban assault rifles in the city."

All I can think about when they said that was, they already are banned.... Semi-auto AR-15s are not assault rifles...

DEROS72

imported post

Ban assualt rifles.That will scare these criminals that do these things.Its odd when some animal commits a crime like this their first reaction is to try more bans against law abididing citizens.God help them they ever try to take my weapons. Its time for Wa.cease fire to be silent.Start going after criminals who will have these things illegally anyway and start disposing of these people.People that call for these bans need to be treated as same as these criminals.

Commodore76

imported post

Rest in Peace, Officer. The line will be held.

To DEROS, absolutely, let's do something for this Officer. Line the procession with flags similar to The Patriot Guard Riders?

Anyone have any thoughts on the idea?

Boo Boo

Banned
imported post

would prefer that the topic stayed on the murdered officer and how to help if you want to bring politics intoit start your own thread.

there is a makeshift memorial up, can do flowers and cards if you want to drop them off.

there will be a memorial fund setup for Officer Brenton Wife and 2 children I am sure.

Also pray for Officer Sweeney as I am sure it was a very traumatic experience.

Also remember that every officer in the area will be on high alert so if you do OC be careful of your actions if approached by or approching an officer.

DEROS72

imported post

I say we do all we can to honor that officer .I OC all the time downtown and SPD has been exemplary in supporting my right and the right of good citizensto bear arms.Time we get behind these guys.honor this officer.I like the idea of taking up a collection from all of us at OCDO .Turn out for his sevices and let SPD know there are decent folk hear that appreciate their service and sacrifice.Im in for 50 bucks.to get it started.