• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

'Demand for right to carry concealed weapons soars, sets state record. Residents load up on permits

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

Purses and backpacks have not been tested in court. A briefcase may have been.

The effective paragraph of SC Stats is

(6) "Concealable weapon" means a firearm having a length of less than twelve inches measured along its greatest dimension that must be carried in a manner that is hidden from public view in normal wear of clothing except when needed for self-defense, defense of others, and the protection of real or personal property.
Not mentioning purses, backpacks or purses.

PT111

imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
http://www.thestate.com/local/story/1007203.html

Be careful, there are assertions in the article that I do not recall as true, e.g, "The permit allows people to hide guns beneath their clothes or in their purses, briefcases and backpacks."
As far as I know that statement is correct. The law says under normal wear of clothing but the AG has issued an opinion that a ladies purse is normal clothing and includes such things as briefcases for men. Iam not completely sureabout the backpacks in all cases but if you are carrying it then it would fall under the same category as a briefcase.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

What is wrong with the people who write this stuff? Pack heat... 'hide' guns... 'least the writer stpooed short of the usual'strutting around strapped' nonsense.

It's called Concealed 'cause OC is denied in SC. 'Least people are allowed to defend themselves. I mean... we don't generally carry thse chunks of iron for fashion statements. If it wasn't for BG's we wouldn't carry at all. But... such is not the world we live in.

imported post

PT111 wrote:

Be careful, there are assertions in the article that I do not recall as true, e.g, "The permit allows people to hide guns beneath their clothes or in their purses, briefcases and backpacks."
As far as I know that statement is correct. The law says under normal wear of clothing but the AG has issued an opinion that a ladies purse is normal clothing and includes such things as briefcases for men. Iam not completely sureabout the backpacks in all cases but if you are carrying it then it would fall under the same category as a briefcase.
Please cite/link to it if you expect people to risk their freedom on your assertion.

PT111

imported post

PT111 wrote:

Please cite/link to it if you expect people to risk their freedom on your assertion.

As you are so fond of saying that one should do their own research rather than relying on the word of someone else, I do not understand why you think that someone would soley rely on my statements here on this board. I do not have a copy of the AG opinion handy but I will quote from the book "South Carolina Gun Law" in which the foreword was written by your good friend and associate Mr. Robert D. Butler, D.C., J.D.. On page 27, third paragraph "(It should be noted that a woman's purse and a man's briefcase are considered articles of clothing for the purposes of the statute.)" Since the book was written by two attorneys and a policeman, forwarded by a third attorney I would consider it to be reliable. In addition I have also been told that by more than one CWP instructor and other reliable sources that this is the proper interpretation.

You can do your own research as you prefer to do but I feel very confident that a purse or a briefcase does constitute concealment for purposes of SC law. Therefore I cannot find fault with The State article with this statement other than the possibility of a backpack which has not be specifically defined as being included but understood.

Edited to note that under Federal non discrimination guidelines this probably would include a man's purse and a woman's briefcase.

imported post

PT111 wrote:
The law says under normal wear of clothing but the AG has issued an opinion that a ladies purse is normal clothing and includes such things as briefcases for men. Iam not completely sureabout the backpacks in all cases but if you are carrying it then it would fall under the same category as a briefcase.
So much for the AG 'opinion' and OCDO Rule 7).

See, here is an effective citation;

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum1/1.html
[font="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][/font]
7) If you state a rule of law, it is incumbant upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority. Citing to authority, using links when avaiable, is what makes OCDO so successful. An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc.

PT111

imported post

I am not the one tat said that The State article was incorrect in their interpretation on the law. You said that they are incorrect and have not provided anything to prove otherwise. How about you citing a source that says that a purse or briefcase is not normal wear of clothing in SC since you good friend says that it is. Or are you calling your friend a liar. I was only trying to point out that he had a basis for his interpretation whether or not it is factual. I have seen the AG opinion but I am not going to research it as it merely restated the present laws of SC and not a new opinion on anything.