• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Halloween OC

Trigger Dr

imported post

Last night, as the kids came to my door, most with an adult, they would comment about my "Costume" and ask what it was. I was just OC. Some of the parents asked why I would do such a thing. My stock answer made them think a bit and got a positive answer from them as they left.

My answer..."You can see we are in a semi secluded area. It's Halloween night, and people expect knocks on the door and a visitor wearing a costume. Think about this for a second...isn't that a perfect opportunity for a home invasion?"

The usual answer was "you're right, I wouldn't have thought about it" Not a single negative comment after my answer.

Trigger Dr

imported post

Commodore76 wrote:
I might have taken a different spin on the same story. "I'm dressed up as a good guy! My every day costume!"
I did say something to that effect, just did not write it down.

FunkTrooper

imported post

I open carried on Halloween while out at night and no one thought my gun was real but they did think it "looked" real. I don't think I've ever worried about a home invasion though I suppose it's possible.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
Last night, as the kids came to my door, most with an adult, they would comment about my "Costume" and ask what it was. I was just OC. Some of the parents asked why I would do such a thing. My stock answer made them think a bit and got a positive answer from them as they left.

My answer..."You can see we are in a semi secluded area. It's Halloween night, and people expect knocks on the door and a visitor wearing a costume. Think about this for a second...isn't that a perfect opportunity for a home invasion?"

The usual answer was "you're right, I wouldn't have thought about it" Not a single negative comment after my answer.

I see the logic.

You may be right, that the normality of walking around with a costume/mask might enhance the chances of some home invaders who are champing at the bit to get out there and do their thing...or they may perceive it as such.

But woudn't that mean that there'd be a significantly higher amount of home invasions on Halloween? I took a quick look at googles output for "halloween home invasions" and didn't see much that would support your idea.

Actually, there are probably some other activities on Halloween that would tend to diminishthe desirability of the holiday to home invasion-types. More foot traffic, (meaning more witnesses) is probably one.

Whether Halloween is "a perfect opportunity for a home invasion" is a good start on a research question.

But, overall, I tend to doubt it.

Still, carrying a gun has its benefits and logic, even without the Halloween rationale...

David.Car

imported post

HankT wrote:
Trigger Dr wrote:

I see the logic.

You may be right, that the normality of walking around with a costume/mask might enhance the chances of some home invaders who are champing at the bit to get out there and do their thing...or they may perceive it as such.

But woudn't that mean that there'd be a significantly higher amount of home invasions on Halloween? I took a quick look at googles output for "halloween home invasions" and didn't see much that would support your idea.

Actually, there are probably some other activities on Halloween that would tend to diminishthe desirability of the holiday to home invasion-types. More foot traffic, (meaning more witnesses) is probably one.

Whether Halloween is "a perfect opportunity for a home invasion" is a good start on a research question.

Still, carrying a gun has its benefits and logic, even without the Halloween rationale...

It doesn't necessarily have to increase the crime rate to still become a risk.

Example: Normal strong armed invasion. If my door gets a knock at night, I am ALWAYS wary unless I am expecting someone. It means I am always on alert in that case which makes me better prepared to react.

Halloween. You are expecting lots of knocks at the door late at night. You are probably less aware of/or expecting anything to happen. That makes it the best time to target you as a victim. And if the person you open the door to is wearing a mask of some sort, you are not surprised, and it doesn't put you on alert.

Things happen when you least expect them too, so try to be prepared for anything all the time.

Ajetpilot

imported post

Slightly OT, but it might also be a great night for prison/jail escapes. The checker at a local grocery store was wearing an orange jumpsuit with "DOC" on the front and "Department of Corrections" in large letters across the back. :shock:

n16ht5

imported post

if it's at night I only open the door with my AK in hand. I'm not kidding. scares off the salesmen and mormons in a hurry.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

n16ht5

Is that legal??
So I can walk up to the door with a rifle/handgun in my hands and not on a sling or holster?

Oh, and I OCed with my ASP in south Seattle ;).

Nobody noticed because it blended in with my dark deathly robes.

David.Car

imported post

Poosharker wrote:
n16ht5

Is that legal??
So I can walk up to the door with a rifle/handgun in my hands and not on a sling or holster?

It is your damn house aint it? Besides, there is nothing illegal about the fact you happened to be cleaning your AR-15 when someone knocks at the door... You just kept it in your hands because you didn't want to get gun oil/lube on your table by setting it down in the middle :p

joeroket

imported post

David.Car wrote:
Poosharker wrote:
n16ht5

Is that legal??

It is your damn house aint it? Besides, there is nothing illegal about the fact you happened to be cleaning your AR-15 when someone knocks at the door... You just kept it in your hands because you didn't want to get gun oil/lube on your table by setting it down in the middle :p
It could be determined as an intent to intimidate, which would be a violation of .270. Just because you are in your own home does not mean you can do what you wish with a firearm.

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran
imported post

David.Car wrote:
HankT wrote:
Trigger Dr wrote:

I see the logic.

But woudn't that mean that there'd be a significantly higher amount of home invasions on Halloween?  I took a quick look at googles output for "halloween home invasions" and didn't see much that would support your idea.

Actually, there are probably some other activities on Halloween that would tend to diminish the desirability of the holiday to home invasion-types. More foot traffic, (meaning more witnesses) is probably one.

It doesn't necessarily have to increase the crime rate to still become a risk.

Example: Normal strong armed invasion. If my door gets a knock at night, I am ALWAYS wary unless I am expecting someone. It means I am always on alert in that case which makes me better prepared to react.

Halloween. You are expecting lots of knocks at the door late at night. You are probably less aware of/or expecting anything to happen. That makes it the best time to target you as a victim. And if the person you open the door to is wearing a mask of some sort, you are not surprised, and it doesn't put you on alert.

Things happen when you least expect them too, so try to be prepared for anything all the time.

Here is a copy of the Neighborhood watch email I received the morning after Halloween.

Hi folks,

I don’t have a lot of details but last night (evening hours while trick or treat was still going on) a family in Gold Creek 2A at the intersection of Snohomish Cascade Drive and 154th Street returned home to find their house being burglarized. It sounds like a door was broken to access the garage but I don’t believe they made it into the rest of the house. Not sure if the canine unit led deputies over here but there were a number of police near my place on 158th Street between 8pm and 9pm. The burglars may have had a car waiting somewhere or perhaps they just tried to blend in with the trick or treat kids.

That may not be a home invasion, but I call it pretty ballsey doing it with a lot of people about and the family coming home from trick or treating while it was going on. We also had the mother of one of our cub scouts come home to find two burglars in her house recently. I was armed and walking my 7 year old to the houses just a block and a half away. So yes Hank, I think it does happen.

I answer the door with my .45 in a holster all the time. If you come to my door in the middle of the night I will answer the door naked and with my gun in hand. You want to call that intimidation........go right ahead.

Cheers,
Bill

David.Car

imported post

joeroket wrote:
It could be determined as an intent to intimidate, which would be a violation of .270. Just because you are in your own home does not mean you can do what you wish with a firearm.
I think you are missingthe bestpart of270. Allow me to highlightit for you.

3) Subsection (1) of this section shall not apply to or affect the following:

(a) Any act committed by a person while in his or her place of abode or fixed place of business;

Your welcome ;)

joeroket

imported post

David.Car wrote:
joeroket wrote:
I think you are missing the best part of 270. Allow me to highlight it for you.

(a) Any act committed by a person while in his or her place of abode or fixed place of business;

Your welcome ;)

I did not say it was intent to intimidate I said it could be construed as it. The person you would be intimidating is not in your abode. Just because you are inside does not mean you did not violate the statute. There are many ways to interpret the statute and I just choose an interpretation that is less likely to land me in trouble.

David.Car

imported post

joeroket wrote:
David.Car wrote:
joeroket wrote:

Your welcome ;)

I did not say it was intent to intimidate I said it could be construed as it. The person you would be intimidating is not in your abode. Just because you are inside does not mean you did not violate the statute. There are many ways to interpret the statute and I just choose an interpretation that is less likely to land me in trouble.
Read the RCW as it is written. Any act commited by a person (YOU) while in your place of abode. That means you, in your house. So 270 does NOT apply to you, in your home. At all. Right there, that subsection is about as straight forward as any RCW will get. You are not subject to unlawful display of a weapon while YOU are in YOUR abode... I don't think it gets much easier then that.

joeroket

imported post

David.Car wrote:
joeroket wrote:
David.Car wrote:
joeroket wrote:
I think you are missing the best part of 270. Allow me to highlight it for you.

Your welcome ;)

Read the RCW as it is written. Any act commited by a person (YOU) while in your place of abode. That means you, in your house. So 270 does NOT apply to you, in your home. At all. Right there, that subsection is about as straight forward as any RCW will get. You are not subject to unlawful display of a weapon while YOU are in YOUR abode... I don't think it gets much easier then that.

I will agree to disagree with you on this one. All laws are open to interpretation by the courts.

0V3RC10CK3D

imported post

joeroket wrote:
David.Car wrote:
joeroket wrote:
David.Car wrote:
joeroket wrote:

Your welcome ;)

I will agree to disagree with you on this one. All laws are open to interpretation by the courts.
If you ask some people; they think the constitution and bill of rights are open to interpretation. ...wouldn't surprise me what some people think.