• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting CO - How to OC in the Winter?

boldimagery

imported post

Well the title says it all. I'm not from CO and will be visiting the state in December. For me That means a coat, so how do I go about OC in the winter?

mahkagari

imported post

I think OpenCarryBilly wears a web belt on the outside of his coat. I have a trenchcoat that ties tight. I need to try a holster on the belt. CO doesn't have 3 months of solid subzero temperatures. It's a few days here and there. My fleece jacket I usually wear can be folded up around my sidearm.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

You can get yourself a drop-leg holster. Or, 5.11 Tactical has some great coats that have zippers on both sides that go up the jacket about 8 inches or so that let your gun/spare mags stick through the jacket.

Flyer22

imported post

Considering that you're from Texas, you'll probably need a coat no matter how warm it gets. If it's fairly warm, you might consider two jackets or sweatshirts instead of a full-sized coat.

Augustin

imported post

Ian wrote:
You can get yourself a drop-leg holster.
Another option is to attach a shoulder sling to a holster and wear it like a satchel.

This has the advantage over SAS (i.e., leg-drop) in that it is easy to don. Simply drape it over a shoulder and away you go.

I personally prefer SAS holsters over every other method of carry, but this tends to get a lot of untoward attention. I've carried a Browning Hi-Power in a kydex belt holster and seldom never had more than passive glances, but when I carry the exact same pistol SAS, people often stare me down with disapproving looks.

AUGustin

Rusty_Shackleford

imported post

StandardWinter Open-Carry for Colorado

Soldier4-1.jpg
quarter-2-1.jpg

a) Hold the rifle at the balance point with the left hand, with sling down.

b) Snap the wire hook, which is on the right horn of the pack frame, into the butt swivel on the side toward the body. Hold the piece erect from the swivel.

c) Bring the strap from the right top of the rucksack forward over the right shoulder, passing outside the piece.
RifleStrapDrawing204X620100dpi.gif

d) Grasp the strap with the left hand and snap it over the head, allowing the rifle to drop between the pack and the right should, with the sling to the body. Place the ring on the strap into the hook on the left shoulder strap. The ring will slide in and out of the hook most easily if it is turned half over and rolled in or out. The rifle is released by rolling the ring out of the hook, putting the strap over the head, and letting the piece slide down the strap into the hand. The hook is then unsnapped from the butt swivel.”

Well...He did ask...and he is from Texas.... so i exaggerated a little :p

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I simply use a short jacket, and place the jacket edge such that the gun and holster are on the outside of the jacket.

However, since you're from Texas, if you have a concealed carry permit there, then you can also simply carry it concealed.

According to the El Paso County Sheriff's Office Concealed Handgun Program, Colorado has reciprocity with Texas, as of March 10, 2009. This is covered in CRS 18-12-213, which states that Colorado will recognize a valid permit issued in another state IF the permitee is 21 years of age or older AND the other state recognizes Colorado permits as valid in their state.

When I carry concealed, I often simply wear my longer jacket, as my side holster is more comfortable than my belly bag, paddle, or underarm holsters. In the summertime, I often don't worry about concealed carry and simply open carry.