Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Examiner.com: Virginia AG candidate Steve Shannon sticks to his gun control

  1. #1
    Moderator / Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    8,711

    Post imported post


    http://www.examiner.com/x-2782-DC-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2009m11d1-Virginia-AG-candidate-Steve-Shannon-sticks-to-his-gun-control
    Both past Attornies General, along with the current Republican nominee for Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli, have all opposed banning private sales of guns at gun shows while supporting repealof the Virginia ban on concealed carry in restaurants serving alcohol.But not Democratic AG nominee Steve Shannon – this Northern Virginia lawyer is sticking to his gun control.
    . . .
    But what irks gun rights organizers the most is Shannon’s lack of any articulable policy rationale for his positions.
    “Insisting that we need to fix something that doesn’t exist does not stir gun owners to support candidates” said Philip Van Cleave, President of the Virginia citizens Defense League, speaking about the alleged gun show loophole.
    “Freedom is the loophole that Shannon really wants to close, and come on,” added Van Cleave, “why would anyone choose to force open carry in a public restaurant?”

  2. #2
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705

    Post imported post

    They must be getting desperate, I had a robo-call tonight from Governor Kaine telling me all about the Washington Post hit piece on Cuccenelli.

    Mike if you get a chance, maybe you could expound a little bit about your mention of Jerrry Kilgore's AG Opinion which you described as saying "that high school students may store unloaded guns in vehicles on school grounds".

    I read through the opinion and what it seems to say is that School Boards are free to discipline students, even if they do conform with the 2003 amendment to 18.2-308.1.

    Crossing from page 5 into page 6, I found:

    The 2003 amendment permits a student to possess a firearm that is unloaded and in a "closed container," which "includes a locked vehicle trunk," on school property or at a school-sponsored activity. The 2003 amendment, however, does not restrict the discretion of a school board to consider discipline for such a student that includes expulsion.
    I don't see how this opinion allows students to store unloaded guns in their vehicles, if they are still subject to expulsion for doing so.

    However, later on page 6, AG Kilgore continues with:

    A school board may not, however, have a per se rule expelling all students whose actions are in conformity with the 2003 amendment. Student conduct in conformance with the 2003 amendment, however, coupled with some other behavior, may give rise to "sufficient cause" for suspension or expulsion under Section 22.1-277(A).
    Do you believe this means that a student whose only conduct in question is the storage of a firearm according to the 2003 Amendment would not be subject to discipline?

    There is a student in Orange County right now who would probably be very interested in this opinion.

    I would be interested in more discussion of this.

    TFred


  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Norfolk, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,000

    Post imported post

    TFred wrote:
    They must be getting desperate, I had a robo-call tonight from Governor Kaine telling me all about the Washington Post hit piece on Cuccenelli.

    Mike if you get a chance, maybe you could expound a little bit about your mention of Jerrry Kilgore's AG Opinion which you described as saying "that high school students may store unloaded guns in vehicles on school grounds".

    I read through the opinion and what it seems to say is that School Boards are free to discipline students, even if they do conform with the 2003 amendment to 18.2-308.1.

    Crossing from page 5 into page 6, I found:

    The 2003 amendment permits a student to possess a firearm that is unloaded and in a "closed container," which "includes a locked vehicle trunk," on school property or at a school-sponsored activity. The 2003 amendment, however, does not restrict the discretion of a school board to consider discipline for such a student that includes expulsion.
    I don't see how this opinion allows students to store unloaded guns in their vehicles, if they are still subject to expulsion for doing so.

    However, later on page 6, AG Kilgore continues with:

    A school board may not, however, have a per se rule expelling all students whose actions are in conformity with the 2003 amendment. Student conduct in conformance with the 2003 amendment, however, coupled with some other behavior, may give rise to "sufficient cause" for suspension or expulsion under Section 22.1-277(A).
    Do you believe this means that a student whose only conduct in question is the storage of a firearm according to the 2003 Amendment would not be subject to discipline?

    There is a student in Orange County right now who would probably be very interested in this opinion.

    I would be interested in more discussion of this.

    TFred
    After reading that letter, I think it says that if the student is doing everything legal with regards to storing in the vehicle, the school cannot just punish for that. They would have to have other grounds for disciplinary action.

    That said, I believe it's been said that if police want to pull you over for something while driving, all they have to do is follow you long enough to wait for you to perform a moving violation. The same logic would apply to the schools I would think. Everyone breaks rules at some point knowingly or otherwise.

    Seems odd though that the GA would have laws on the books that are directly contridictory. I wouldthink they would have cleaned that up when amending the laws.

  4. #4
    Regular Member Statesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    949

    Post imported post

    Mike wrote:
    But not Democratic AG nominee Steve Shannon – this Northern Virginia lawyer is sticking to his gun control.
    . . .
    But what irks gun rights organizers the most is Shannon’s lack of any articulable policy rationale for his positions.
    BOOOO!!! HISSS!!!!! Only tyrants impose gun control without rationale.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    , Virginia, USA
    Posts
    30

    Post imported post

    He lost Voted OUT:celebrate

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    San Diego County, CA, California, USA
    Posts
    1,402

    Post imported post

    outsick wrote:
    He lost Voted OUT:celebrate
    Cuccinelli FTW?

  7. #7
    Regular Member AtackDuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    King George, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    214

    Post imported post

    Shannon rode his gun control out the door and into insignificance.

    Well done Virginia!:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

  8. #8
    Regular Member Alexcabbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Alexandria, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    2,290

    Post imported post

    Someone should photoshop a pic of shannon to have him holding a blown up revolver and his face all blackend etc and caption it "gun control" :celebrate

  9. #9
    Regular Member Sonora Rebel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Gone
    Posts
    3,958

    Post imported post

    Maybe one day the anti's will 'get it'... This one may have... Maybe?

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    San Diego County, CA, California, USA
    Posts
    1,402

    Post imported post

    Sonora Rebel wrote:
    Maybe one day the anti's will 'get it'... This one may have... Maybe?
    Is he in a maximum security federal prison, convicted of treason? If not, then he's probably not "getting it".

  11. #11
    Regular Member Alexcabbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Alexandria, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    2,290

    Post imported post

    In prison they would call Shannon "The other white meat". :celebrate

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    SMITHFIELD, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    270

    Post imported post

    Well done Virginians.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •