• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Examiner.com: Virginia AG candidate Steve Shannon sticks to his gun control

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.examiner.com/x-2782-DC-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2009m11d1-Virginia-AG-candidate-Steve-Shannon-sticks-to-his-gun-control
Both past Attornies General, along with the current Republican nominee for Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli, have all opposed banning private sales of guns at gun shows while supporting repealof the Virginia ban on concealed carry in restaurants serving alcohol.But not Democratic AG nominee Steve Shannon – this Northern Virginia lawyer is sticking to his gun control.
. . .
But what irks gun rights organizers the most is Shannon’s lack of any articulable policy rationale for his positions.
“Insisting that we need to fix something that doesn’t exist does not stir gun owners to support candidates” said Philip Van Cleave, President of the Virginia citizens Defense League, speaking about the alleged gun show loophole.
“Freedom is the loophole that Shannon really wants to close, and come on,” added Van Cleave, “why would anyone choose to force open carry in a public restaurant?”

TFred

imported post

They must be getting desperate, I had a robo-call tonight from Governor Kaine telling me all about the Washington Post hit piece on Cuccenelli.

Mike if you get a chance, maybe you could expound a little bit about your mention of Jerrry Kilgore's AG Opinion which you described as saying "that high school students may store unloaded guns in vehicles on school grounds".

I read through the opinion and what it seems to say is that School Boards are free to discipline students, even if they do conform with the 2003 amendment to 18.2-308.1.

Crossing from page 5 into page 6, I found:

The 2003 amendment permits a student to possess a firearm that is unloaded and in a "closed container," which "includes a locked vehicle trunk," on school property or at a school-sponsored activity. The 2003 amendment, however, does not restrict the discretion of a school board to consider discipline for such a student that includes expulsion.
I don't see how this opinion allows students to store unloaded guns in their vehicles, if they are still subject to expulsion for doing so.

However, later on page 6, AG Kilgore continues with:

A school board may not, however, have a per se rule expelling all students whose actions are in conformity with the 2003 amendment. Student conduct in conformance with the 2003 amendment, however, coupled with some other behavior, may give rise to "sufficient cause" for suspension or expulsion under Section 22.1-277(A).
Do you believe this means that a student whose only conduct in question is the storage of a firearm according to the 2003 Amendment would not be subject to discipline?

There is a student in Orange County right now who would probably be very interested in this opinion.

I would be interested in more discussion of this.

TFred

darthmord

imported post

TFred wrote:
They must be getting desperate, I had a robo-call tonight from Governor Kaine telling me all about the Washington Post hit piece on Cuccenelli.

Mike if you get a chance, maybe you could expound a little bit about your mention of Jerrry Kilgore's AG Opinion which you described as saying "that high school students may store unloaded guns in vehicles on school grounds".

I read through the opinion and what it seems to say is that School Boards are free to discipline students, even if they do conform with the 2003 amendment to 18.2-308.1.

Crossing from page 5 into page 6, I found:

The 2003 amendment permits a student to possess a firearm that is unloaded and in a "closed container," which "includes a locked vehicle trunk," on school property or at a school-sponsored activity. The 2003 amendment, however, does not restrict the discretion of a school board to consider discipline for such a student that includes expulsion.
I don't see how this opinion allows students to store unloaded guns in their vehicles, if they are still subject to expulsion for doing so.

However, later on page 6, AG Kilgore continues with:

A school board may not, however, have a per se rule expelling all students whose actions are in conformity with the 2003 amendment. Student conduct in conformance with the 2003 amendment, however, coupled with some other behavior, may give rise to "sufficient cause" for suspension or expulsion under Section 22.1-277(A).
Do you believe this means that a student whose only conduct in question is the storage of a firearm according to the 2003 Amendment would not be subject to discipline?

There is a student in Orange County right now who would probably be very interested in this opinion.

I would be interested in more discussion of this.

TFred

After reading that letter, I think it says that if the student is doing everything legal with regards to storing in the vehicle, the school cannot just punish for that. They would have to have other grounds for disciplinary action.

That said, I believe it's been said that if police want to pull you over for something while driving, all they have to do is follow you long enough to wait for you to perform a moving violation. The same logic would apply to the schools I would think. Everyone breaks rules at some point knowingly or otherwise.

Seems odd though that the GA would have laws on the books that are directly contridictory. I wouldthink they would have cleaned that up when amending the laws.

Statesman

imported post

Mike wrote:
But not Democratic AG nominee Steve Shannon – this Northern Virginia lawyer is sticking to his gun control.
. . .
But what irks gun rights organizers the most is Shannon’s lack of any articulable policy rationale for his positions.
BOOOO!!! HISSS!!!!! Only tyrants impose gun control without rationale.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Maybe one day the anti's will 'get it'... This one may have... Maybe?