• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

could we start a donation to help a young girl like this one

cabman1

imported post

could we start up a donation to help someone like this little girl?

Pitching In: Family working to buy device to help daughter communicate
By Joanie Hauglie | Jackson Citizen Patriot
November 01, 2009, 8:32PM
Shayna Scouten turned 16 on Oct. 23.

If she were like most 16-year-olds, Shayna's head would be filled with visions of getting her driver's license, attending a "Sweet 16" party or going to her first prom.

But Shayna, whose nickname is Shady Brooke, isn't like most 16-year-olds. She has an incurable, debilitating condition known as spastic quadriplegic cerebral palsy.

Shayna Scouten
For people with the disease, cars and parties and proms all take a back seat to one simple desire: the ability to communicate.

"The sad thing is that with a lot of these kids, you can tell the lights are on upstairs, but unfortunately, they almost become a prisoner of their own body," said Shayna's mother, Kym.

Spastic quadriplegic cerebral palsy is the most serious form of cerebral palsy. It's a disease that's difficult on both those with the disease and their loved ones — but not one without hope, thanks to new technology.

A $15,000 device, the Dynavox Eyemax, would make it possible for Shayna to communicate. An infrared light on the machine's screen has the ability to "read" her pupils, detecting where and what she is looking at, and then speaking for her.

"I never thought I would say I would love to tell her no and have her keep saying yesback to me," Kym said. "It would be our first real mother/daughter fight!"

Members of the Off-R-Rockers 4X4 Club hosted a benefit for Shayna in August to help raise funds for the Eyemax. Kym and her husband, Chad, were late getting to the event because Shayna had just undergone spinal surgery.

The group's generosity didn't go unnoticed by Kym and Chad.

"We were out there long enough to see these virtual strangers helping a child they did not even know," Kym said. "It was a humbling and very emotional thing."

The benefit not only gave the Scoutens a glimpse of a group of people committed to giving back, it also strengthened their resolve to find a way to get an Eyemax for Shayna.

"She is beautiful and smart, and I know she sees things and wants to tell us about them," Kym said. "I am sure she wants to choose the purple shirt instead of the pink one."

Purple or pink? It's a far cry from the decisions most 16-year-olds make.

But not for Shayna.

"To a parent who has never heard a child's thoughts, or an ‘I love you,' it is priceless," Kym said. "The Eyemax could allow Shayna — who hears, sees, loves and laughs like any teenage girl — to express her wants and needs.

"Sixteen is far too long not to be able to communicate."

To learn more about how you can help the Scouten family contact Kym at badkitty350@yahoo.com or call her at 937-3986.

DanM

imported post

cabman1 wrote:

Do it. Set up a PayPal account and publicize it. I don't think anyone wouldmind you sharing a PayPal link here for this. Go to other gun and non-gun forums as well.

After you've got the funds built up and you're ready to send the donation in, check with Venator to see if it's OK to associate Michigan Open Carry's name to it.

G

imported post

DanM wrote:
cabman1 wrote:

Do it. Set up a PayPal account and publicize it. I don't think anyone wouldmind you sharing a PayPal link here for this. Go to other gun and non-gun forums as well.

After you've got the funds built up and you're ready to send the donation in, check with Venator to see if it's OK to associate Michigan Open Carry's name to it.
You flame a gun store because they don't want you to OC, but you've got no problem using totally anti-gun paypal.

DanM wrote:
That's somewhat schizophrenic,and I don't give money to crazy people.
Who's schizophrenic now?

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
DanM wrote:
cabman1 wrote:

You flame a gun store because they don't want you to OC, but you've got no problem using totally anti-gun paypal.

DanM wrote:
Who's schizophrenic now?
https://www.gunpal.net/

DanM

imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
Oh, damn! I totally didn't know that. DO NOT USE PAYPAL! Thanks for letting me know that CV.

DanM wrote:
Who's schizophrenic now?
Not me. Crazy would be using PayPal, knowing they are anti-gun. I now know they are anti-gun, so I ain't using 'em. :)

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

DanM wrote:
CV67PAT wrote:
Oh, damn! I totally didn't know that. DO NOT USE PAYPAL! Thanks for letting me know that CV.

DanM wrote:
Who's schizophrenic now?
Not me. Crazy would be using PayPal, knowing they are anti-gun. I now know they are anti-gun, so I ain't using 'em. :)
But if you send it as a gift, they don't charge a fee, so they get NOTHING. :)