• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kentucky bound! Now where to look?

gravedigger

imported post

I'm flying into Nashville on Nov. 10th. I'll rent a car and spend the 11th, 12th, 13th and 14th scoping out Bowling Green, Kentucky and the surrounding area for an initial visit as a potential place to relocate. I'm going to cover a lot of ground and may even include northern parts of Tennessee in the visit if time allows.

So I'm asking my friends
highfive.gif
here:

WHERE should I look?

I'm looking for a small community (under 10K people?) near, but not IN a large city. I am seeking low crime rates, nice neighborhoods, etc. Think "Mayberry," or the town of "Grady" (from Doc Hollywood) and PLEASE tell me which towns I should include in my mini-tour of that area.

My mom will be with me. She wants to get away from "Little Tijuana" where we live now, in Vista, CA., home of the "La Raza" movement. I just want to move back to America!

I am thinking of small homes on 1/2 to 1 acre or more for myself, and a small home on a 1/4 acre lot (or less) for my mom and two cats. She needs to be near a good hospital (30 to 60 minute drive?) for medical treatments she gets once a month. I will start a small business out of my home, and use UPS and FedEx to ship my products to the world, so I am not too concerned about "finding work."

Any suggestions would be appreciated! You can post 'em here, or send them to my TWITTER account JoeJones_in_CA or send me an email.

Thanks in advance...

klloyd

Madisonville, Mortons Gap KY(Western Ky), ,
imported post

Well, I dont know how far "surrounding" you are willing to go, but I have some suggestions seeing I grew up there, and go there quite often:

42440 Mortons Gap ky, VERY small town, great people, aways have a smile. Have to go to Madisonville to get things...

42464 White Plains ky, probably a tad bigger than Mortons Gap, but its spread out more, VERY country, would be easy to find a great home with land. Same on shopping, have to go to Madisonville, or Hopkinsville to get things.

42330 Central City, GREAT town, not to big, not to small. Has Uncle Lee's, the best place to buy weapons and hunting gear on that side of the state! Mayberry feel down town, country feel on the edge. Spread out a bit, it does have a walmart!

42431 Madisonville ky, Larger town in the area, but when I say larger, I dont mean big by any means! Its out lying areas include Seebree, Hanson, Calhoun, and Providence

Other towns great to look at closer to BowlingGreen is: Morgantown, BeaverDam, Leitchfield, and Russellville. Out of those, I like Leitchfield, its bigger, has a walmart, and that big, small town feel. Has a good looking down town, and great places around to eat.
Its been a while since I've been to Russellville, but last time I was there, it was doing pretty good. It has the Bell Witch house there, really cool!

Just some idea's.

KL

langzaiguy

imported post

I live in Georgetown, KY and I highly recommend it. It's a nice town, not TOO much going on, but still 20 minutes away from Lexington.

I've been impressed with Bardstown & Nicholasville (love both of their downtowns). Oldham Co. is the most affluent county and very near Louisville.

Good luck with your search!

sipowicz

imported post

Trimble County is another area you might want to look at. It contains the cities of Bedford and Milton. Both cities are about 45 miles from Louisville and 60 miles from Cincinnati. In addition, Milton is right across the river fron Madison, Indiana. Beautiful areas in this county.

Zip codes are 40045 for Milton and 40006 for Bedford.

klloyd

imported post

Well, I was looking for places in the general area they were going to (western ky), but if you're asking, Hopkins County is GREAT, thats where I grew up.

Anderson County is wonderful as well, 40342. Great schools, great people! Thats where I am now!

Taurus145

imported post

If you want to be within 30 minutes of Bowling Green, you may want to look at Glasgow, Morgantown, Park City (near Mammoth Cave National Park), or Russellville.

You get a number of tourists in Park City, especially in the summer.

I honestly don't know what some people call close, but I try to consider it at about 30 minutes or so.

Bear this in mind: If availability of adult beverages is a consideration, most of KY is "dry". Bowling Green is "wet". So.. if you want a beer or bottle, buy it on the way home before you leave Bowling Green.

KY Soldier

imported post

I agree with above, Leitchfield isn't a bad town at all. Central City isn't bad either but stay away from Muhlenberg (sp?) as it is commonly called "Meth-enberg." If you want to live further north Trimble county and Carroll county are both great places. Carroll county is about halfway inbetween Cincy and Louisville. Any further north than that then Campbell, Bracken, and even Pendelton county are your best bets.

klloyd

imported post

Taurus145 is dead on there, the cave area is a great place too, and my oh my is it beautiful.

NOW, if you want to return back to your roots, head to eastern ky! Pikeville, Harlan, over that way! Ashland, little more north, all great places to live, great people, might even see an elk!

TheMrMitch

imported post

Somewhere around Bardstown or Elizabethtown. Get as rural as you near either place. I'm on 6 acres, city water, electricity, small cabin, pond , hunting and blasting Tannerite at my heart's content. $22,000 total.:D

gravedigger

imported post

Okay! Airline tickets ... check! Hotel reservations in Nashville and Bowling Green ... check! Car rental for the visit ... check!

I'm getting excited about this! I will check out as many of the areas as I can, starting with those you have suggested, or will suggest in the coming days. I'm going to plot them out on my notebook GPS mapping software and make one or two big loops with camera in tow!

The weather is supposed to be rainy in Bowling Green. Gosh ... We have gone some 11 months here without a drop of rain. I forgot what it looks like. Everything here in southern Commiefornia is DEAD. The trees, the vegetation ... all brown and dry. You can't water anything without facing a fine by the "water police."

We aren't going there to house hunt specifically, but if we see something that we cannot pass up, we may just buy it and come back to sell and pack our things afterward.

I know that people are warning me about the heat and humidity. Well, every area has drawbacks. I could stand to sweat a little anyway, and if it is really bad, I'll just set myself up with an indoor business that requires 24-hour air conditioning!

For those of you who have never lived in southern Commiefornia, you may not understand the desire to leave. Not only are the gun laws enough of a motivation for any free man, but the people here ... so RUDE, so self-absorbed. That comes with a loiberal unarmed society. People just aren't afraid to tell you to F off! They know you probably aren't armed. An armed society IS a polite society, after all!

Everyone here is so ... angry. If not angry, they are depressed, or just plain apathetic about everything. I am noticing people driving like, well, if you don't notice that they're running a red light, too bad for you! This is a hit-and-run state. It is VERY rare that someone at fault in an accident will stop to accept the consequences.

I bought a nice new shotgun the day Ted Kennedy died, in CELERBRATION! I'll buy another gun the day I move to Kentucky (if possible ... waiting period for new residents?) but as soon as possible in any event. It will be engraved, "Freedom!" to celebrate my return to America.

klloyd

imported post

Well, come on down! I think that you have 45 days to change your drivers license, and then you can start buying guns.... There may be some "legal" amount of time before you are a considered a Kentuckian, but let me tell you, if you have not changed your address, tags, and license in 45 days, you WILL get a fat ticket! Been there, Done that!

But I dont know if you HAVE to have one to buy here.... I never tried under any other circumstances.

Taurus145

imported post

What? You think you're going to miss the immigration checkpoints on I-15, especially that very nice one between Fallbrook and Temecula?

Do you think you'll miss the mudslides when it finally decides to rain? The blowing dust when it doesn't?

Hey! If you miss the DMV lines, I'm sure one of the county clerk's employees will step around the counter and stand in front of you to make you feel "at home."

Of course, you will be required to keep ALL bacon grease for future use. And you'll have to get used to waiting for Joe and Bubba to catch up on the news from their pickup trucks in the middle of main street. And y'all are going to have to learn to use y'all and the plural y'all.

In short, I've done SoCal. It sucks. KY doesn't suck.

gravedigger

imported post

We landed in Nashville tonight. Driving to Bowling Green tomorrow, going to check into hotel and then start hitting these spots you all suggested. I'll plot them on my GPS and try to cover several in a day, in one big loop. The flights were terrific. Smooth and comfy. We rented a BRAND NEW Chevy Impala. Nice car, with less than 1,000 miles on it! Dang, I'm not gonna want to climb back into my tow truck when I get home. :(

Thank you ALL for the suggestions! We have more than we can cover in 3 days, but we're sure going to try!

I'll keep you posed, as I have set up my computer in the hotel room. The way those gorillas tossed the luggage around, I am surprised my 22" LCD monitor wasn't busted into two pieces!, but it seems to be working just fine. Thank God for foam rubber! I am using a small LENOVO notebook, so the big monitor is just to surf the net at the hotel to look at houses for sale, etc. Can't squint ALL day!

Stay tuned for updates!

gravedigger

imported post

We did a bit of Nashville this morning, then drove to Bowling Green, KY. We stopped and toured Franklin, KY. on the way. What a pretty town! We "Lookie-loo'd" some homes for sale and checked out the hospital in BG. (Medical Center??) NICE hospital.

Tomorrow is

Russellville
Hopkinsville
White Plains
Central City
Morgantown

The 13th will be

Leitchfield
Elizabethtown
Munsfordville
Glasgow

The 14th will be

Scottsville

Then into Tennessee

Westmoreland
Lebanon
Gallatin
Hendersonville

Settling into the Red Roof at the airport for an early flight out the following morning.

This little tour should give us a good idea of the area, the people, the roads etc.

I have to tell you ... we are already IMPRESSED! CLEAN streets, only one small visible sign of graffiti in a seedy part of Franklin near some trailers (?), smooth roads, GREAT weather! and the PEOPLE ... FRIENDLY!!!!!!! Wow! We are just STUNNED by the polite nature, the friendliness, the relaxed pace, ... just everything!

Oh, I did stop into Wheeler's GUNS and Pawn shop across from out hotel today. Right friendly folk there! Our five minute visit turned into an hour, and we talked about everything from land and taxes to rain to Pelosi ... oh, and GUNS! You should have seen his face when I asked him about waiting periods and 10-round limits on magazines ... His reply, "You're in AMERICA now, sir!" He apparently had not heard about Commiefornia's "Bullet Buttons" for AR15s! I promised to buy my first Kentucky gun from him, should I decide to move here and OUT of The Peoples Republic of COMMIEfornia!!!:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

gravedigger

imported post

As I write this we are flying home. I decided to fork over the $15.00 for American Airlines Wi-Fi access just to try it out.

We found a nice place in Franklin, KY. We are going to check on a few things and then make a bid on the house.

I have to say that, after living in COMMIEfornia for 37 years, visiting Kentucky was like stopping at another planet. The people were ALL so friendly. the roads were unbelievably clean and free of trash. They were SMOOTHE and woderful! We are pretty well set on moving to KY in the spring. We have two homes to sell in CA and I have to sell my business too. Meanwhile, planning, etc.

I can't imagine returning to the chaos of CA after staying in such a great state for only a few days. I almost wish I could just send for my things!
'
I'll let you know when we cross over "the wall" into freedom!

langzaiguy

imported post

Great news! Glad you found a place you like. Be sure to let us know if we can make your move any easier.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

One of the best damn threads on personal experiences that I have ever read on OCDO and chuckled a lot at the innuendos and references.

Obviously you know how to spell FREEDOM. :)

Yata hey

Taurus145

imported post

When you get settled, PM or email me. My wife and I will introduce you to two damn fine gun stores and some dandy barbecue.