Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Open Carry with CPL?

  1. #1
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Battle Creek, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    396

    Post imported post

    Is there anyplace where one is prohibited by STATE law from openly carrying, if said person is in possession of a CPL?

  2. #2
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lansing area, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    6,445

    Post imported post

    Phoenixphire wrote:
    Is there anyplace where one is prohibited by STATE law from openly carrying, if said person is in possession of a CPL?
    Courts for one. Some State Departments may be able toban weapons in their buildings.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

    *The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

  3. #3
    Regular Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mulligan's Valley
    Posts
    4,830

    Post imported post

    Secure areas of jails and prisons for one thing. Also Casino's. Which brings up another good point, which is gotta have permission to carry on reservation land.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

    The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

  4. #4
    Regular Member EM87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    987

    Post imported post

    Post offices or any federal building. It's federal law, not state law, but I want to make sure you get all relevant information.
    "You'll be walking along.. OC.. and you'll feel GREAT. You'll feel FREEEEE like 1776 kind of Free." -cscitney87

  5. #5
    Regular Member tygereye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Waterford, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    347

    Post imported post

    This question could be taken 2 ways...

    1. Are there places that cannot be entered, even if I have a CPL, and am open carrying. (the above posts answer this)

    2. Are there places where your CPL stops you from open carrying?If you have a CPL, it does NOT mean you have to conceal... Therefore, short answer to this would be NO. There is not a location, that you can enterwith your CPL,but you have to conceal... There are locations that with your CPL you can open carry. That without your CPL you can't carry at all. (Some places, Bars ect. you HAVE to open carry, others, you can conceal, or open carry, such asMeijer, Kroger ect.)

    Hope this isn't confusing...

  6. #6
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Battle Creek, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    396

    Post imported post

    I was asking question one...

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,416

    Post imported post

    Venator wrote:
    Phoenixphire wrote:
    Is there anyplace where one is prohibited by STATE law from openly carrying, if said person is in possession of a CPL?
    Courts for one. Some State Departments may be able toban weapons in their buildings.
    They can do anything they want. In the Ferndale decision, the courts used the wording that effectively puts exclusivity of control on firearms and ammunition in the hands of the legislature.

    They said something to the effect that, "the legislature has reserved the right to control firearms and ammunition to themselves." That means that if it hasn't been passed into law by the legislature (or the courts), then it has no weight of law. It's illegal for them to do it. Question is, is someone going to fight it, and who will the courts side with.

  8. #8
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lansing area, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    6,445

    Post imported post

    ghostrider wrote:
    Venator wrote:
    Phoenixphire wrote:
    Is there anyplace where one is prohibited by STATE law from openly carrying, if said person is in possession of a CPL?
    Courts for one. Some State Departments may be able toban weapons in their buildings.
    They can do anything they want. In the Ferndale decision, the courts used the wording that effectively puts exclusivity of control on firearms and ammunition in the hands of the legislature.

    They said something to the effect that, "the legislature has reserved the right to control firearms and ammunition to themselves." That means that if it hasn't been passed into law by the legislature (or the courts), then it has no weight of law. It's illegal for them to do it. Question is, is someone going to fight it, and who will the courts side with.
    But the legislature has given power to some state agencies to control conduct in their buildings. So they do have the force of state law. The question is, does the statute that gives these powers to these agencies included the banning of firearms?

    That is the question.

    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

    *The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,416

    Post imported post

    Venator wrote:
    ghostrider wrote:
    Venator wrote:
    Phoenixphire wrote:
    Is there anyplace where one is prohibited by STATE law from openly carrying, if said person is in possession of a CPL?
    Courts for one. Some State Departments may be able toban weapons in their buildings.
    They can do anything they want. In the Ferndale decision, the courts used the wording that effectively puts exclusivity of control on firearms and ammunition in the hands of the legislature.

    They said something to the effect that, "the legislature has reserved the right to control firearms and ammunition to themselves." That means that if it hasn't been passed into law by the legislature (or the courts), then it has no weight of law. It's illegal for them to do it. Question is, is someone going to fight it, and who will the courts side with.
    But the legislature has given power to some state agencies to control conduct in their buildings. So they do have the force of state law. The question is, does the statute that gives these powers to these agencies included the banning of firearms?

    That is the question.
    That is the question. If the legislature has given these agencies such power, does it include firearms?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •