• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC near, but not on, school property

melinuxfool

imported post

Another question I had that I figured should be in it's own thread. One of the reasons I want to carry is for defense from wild animals as I hike in the woods. However, one of the trails I enjoy hiking on requires that I walk past a school (not on their property). Are there any rules and regulations that I should be concerned about? I know you can't carry on school property, but I was wondering if there might be some sort of "buffer zone" I should be concerned about.

jay75009

imported post

i wouldnt carry on school property or within 500 yards of a school just to be safe, ESPECIALY while OCing.........with society the way it is that could cause ALOT of panic and ALOT of problems for you lol

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

GFSZ - Federal law says no guns within 1000 ft of school property with certain specific exceptions. One of these is that it is legal with a state issued permit. Note that there is no requirement to carry concealed.- OC is legal w/permit.

Public Law 104-208 Omnibus Consolidated Appropriations Act For Fiscal Year 1997
Sec. 101(b) Department of Defense Appropriations Act, 1997

Section 657, Gun-Free School Zone. The law makes it a federal crime to knowingly have a firearm within 1,000 feet of a school. An exemption is granted to anyone willing to register with the government for a specified license to carry the firearm (most concealed-carry permits would qualify, most hunting licenses would not).

The prohibition does not apply to:
1-Firearms while on private property that is not part of the school grounds;
2-Any firearm that is unloaded and in a locked container;
3-Any firearm unloaded and locked in a firearms rack on a motor vehicle;

[font="Arial,Helvetica"]Full text of this statute is available in Gun Laws Of America[/font]
http://www.gunlaws.com/gloaup.htm#schools

IANA - read the law and make your own determination.

Does Maine have statutory restrictions greater than this?

Yata hey

jay75009

imported post

well Maine police are bias anyways, if your young, they will harass you, if your black they will harass you, if you wear baggy pants your done, if you dont look like a business man they will harass.......basicaly if you look to them like anyone other than a 190% upstanding citizen then they are gonna come down on you.......and in a school zone they would probably shoot you. i just stay a few blocks away from the schools and im fine.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

jay75009 wrote:
well Maine police are bias anyways, if your young, they will harass you, if your black they will harass you, if you wear baggy pants your done, if you dont look like a business man they will harass.......basicaly if you look to them like anyone other than a 190% upstanding citizen then they are gonna come down on you.......and in a school zone they would probably shoot you. i just stay a few blocks away from the schools and im fine.
Don't know the length of your "blocks", but I do know that in most cities a "few blocks" away would still be within the GFSZ.

Then there is the problem of hidden schools i.e. church schools, schools on the other block you haven't seen yet etc. The GFSZ does nothing but penalize honest people.

Yata hey

jay75009

imported post

simple answer. go to the local PD, ask for a sitdown with the chief or CID sergant *the one who will crucify you if you screw up on this* ask how far exactly. once you know , go to your lawer have him write up a statement. go BACK to the PD and have said chief or CID sergant sign said statement. and carry it with you. that way if rookie cop has problem, you have a statement from his superior officer stating that you are correct and he is not.

i have one saying 500 feet during school hours. 0 feet in non school hours .

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

jay75009 wrote:
simple answer. go to the local PD, ask for a sitdown with the chief or CID sergant *the one who will crucify you if you screw up on this* ask how far exactly. once you know , go to your lawer have him write up a statement. go BACK to the PD and have said chief or CID sergant sign said statement. and carry it with you. that way if rookie cop has problem, you have a statement from his superior officer stating that you are correct and he is not.

Am sure everyone here would like to see a copy of this official letter.

Yata hey

jay75009

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
jay75009 wrote:

Yata hey

how about this instead, seeing as you like to be one of those condicending twits that accuse everyone of lieing because you infact do believe that you are better than any of us here, and believe that your many many certificates and licenses make you any smarter than the rest of us.........how about this.

Come to saco me, ill even give you my personal address. i will show you that official letter, plus the ones from Deputy Chief Labonte, and CID sargent David Loranger talking in communication with me about the concept of OC anyway.

Then you can meet a very long time friend of mine Chief Bradley Paul. My ex girlfriends uncle, whom i have attended wedding annaversaries of, been to his home and see on a regular basis on the subject of OC.

Yes you read it right. I alone am the only person who had the courage to actualy go to, and sit down with the Saco police department to discuss this way of carring. MY words to this police department are the reasons why Open carry is not something you will get harassed for in this town. MY efforts to openly communicate with the Police here make this a great place for ANYONE to open carry because the police now know the laws and regulations regarding it in maine...........

Dont act like you know Open Carry laws for a state your not even in. Dont try to act smarter than you are. and DONT accuse people of lieing when you know nothing. Im sure your going to tell me next that in Vermont you need a CCW right? or that in NH you cant open carry in cars. just because you live in a firearms hating state where the 2nd amendment is abolished and destroyed at your voters fingertips.........dont think that i do as well.

But if you insist on proof, like i said , come here, ill give you a tour, bring you to the PD so you can meet my friends. then strap a M-4 to your back and have you walk down Main st..........i guarrantee you will not be stoped by an LEO for it.........because i had the brains to go to the police and talk about it...........and get "letters" as you put it. thank you

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

jay75009 wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
jay75009 wrote:

Yata hey

how about this instead, seeing as you like to be one of those condicending twits that accuse everyone of lieing because you infact do believe that you are better than any of us here, and believe that your many many certificates and licenses make you any smarter than the rest of us.........how about this.

Come to saco me, ill even give you my personal address. i will show you that official letter, plus the ones from Deputy Chief Labonte, and CID sargent David Loranger talking in communication with me about the concept of OC anyway.

Then you can meet a very long time friend of mine Chief Bradley Paul. My ex girlfriends uncle, whom i have attended wedding annaversaries of, been to his home and see on a regular basis on the subject of OC.

Yes you read it right. I alone am the only person who had the courage to actualy go to, and sit down with the Saco police department to discuss this way of carring. MY words to this police department are the reasons why Open carry is not something you will get harassed for in this town. MY efforts to openly communicate with the Police here make this a great place for ANYONE to open carry because the police now know the laws and regulations regarding it in maine...........

Dont act like you know Open Carry laws for a state your not even in. Dont try to act smarter than you are. and DONT accuse people of lieing when you know nothing. Im sure your going to tell me next that in Vermont you need a CCW right? or that in NH you cant open carry in cars. just because you live in a firearms hating state where the 2nd amendment is abolished and destroyed at your voters fingertips.........dont think that i do as well.

But if you insist on proof, like i said , come here, ill give you a tour, bring you to the PD so you can meet my friends. then strap a M-4 to your back and have you walk down Main st..........i guarrantee you will not be stoped by an LEO for it.........because i had the brains to go to the police and talk about it...........and get "letters" as you put it. thank you
Do you have an anger management problem?

The request was simple and straight forward.
"Am sure everyone here would like to see a copy of this official letter."

It is one of tenants of OCDO: we cite to the law, we do not make claims we can not or will not substantiate, we document. Anecdotal stories may from time to time be interesting, but until they are confirmed in some manner, have no validity.

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

def annalsjay75009 wrote:
no scanner, but i've invited others, who have came, if anyone wants to see it c'mon over
Need use of a scanner? Your public library likely has one.

Understand that the letter you reference is very unusual in the annals of LEO/OC carriers interaction. If a personal relationship has afforded this opportunity, good. In such cases, the old cliche applies - it is not what you know, but who you know that counts.

Yata hey

jay75009

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
I am glad the p**sing contests don't just happen in the Washington forum! Seems like Maine has the same problem :lol:

no i just start saying things back when i get attacked by a single poster on every single post i make. this is not the first time that this poster has harassed my posts or my charachter alone.

in reply to the "posters request" yes it does have a scanner but, i really dont feel like proving myself to you any more.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

jay75009 wrote:
NavyLT wrote:
I am glad the p**sing contests don't just happen in the Washington forum! Seems like Maine has the same problem :lol:
no i just start saying things back when i get attacked by a single poster on every single post i make. this is not the first time that this poster has harassed my posts or my charachter alone.

in reply to the "posters request" yes it does have a scanner but, i really dont feel like proving myself to you any more.
You brought it up, I didn't, but I will answer your rant.

You claimed to be that which you are not, then lamely call it a typo.
"i have a Masters in Criminal Psychology. i study these dirt bags for a living"
If you remember correctly, I only asked from what university.

Then you stated on a public forum that you would willingly shoot, al la Jack Ruby, a totally stopped criminal in the face. Two wrongs apparently make a right for you.
I stated that wasn't a good idea - you called me a lover of terrorists, in so many words.

Now we have you saying never go within 500 yd of a school (your words) even though this is an inaccurate statement of the law and does nothing to resolve the problem or promote legal carrying thereon by others.

Your most recent response on a public forum is dishonest and slanderous in saying that I am "harrassing" you or impinging your character, much less "on every single post i make." - You presently have 229 posts on 15 topics and I have replied how many times?

"I really dont feel like proving myself to you any more." Sir, you have not proven anything yet except that you will distort the truth, make rash statements and not cite to information when requested and then attack someone that dares to suggest a solution.

Do you want to find the problem? Look in the mirror.

You are an embarrassment.

I call 'em like I see 'em - always have always will.

Yata hey

Deuce1911

imported post

lol so i guess melinux shouldnt post anything cuz his threads always seem to be hijacked!

just to be another voice here, its getting annoying to keep comin on here and seeing you two arguing with eachother. i do feel that you are being the antagonist in this situation grapeshot. none of us have gone to the virginia forum and fact checked you so please dont do the same. for somone who seems to know how this forum is run, one would think you would have better manners. your responses to jay do have a note of, oh i dont know, like you "run this bitch". so please stop. and jay, chill out kid and maybe choose your words more carefully when posting so as to not "confuse" others. honestly some of your posts can be misunderstood. nothing personal guys just want this site to stick to the basics and not be a battle of wits and who knows guns and gun laws and leos.

now melinux, if i were you i would pursue the course of action that jay took. most towns in maine tend to have a good police/populace relationship.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

You are right in most regards Deuce1911.

My apologies to melinuxfool for the derailment.

Many, many posters peruse and post beyond their home state forums without restriction. My posts have been generally well received, particularly those with cites or asking questions for clarification.

Yata hey

Edited to add: You are welcome in the Virginia forum anytime.

Just a Guy

imported post

Can I offer another take on this?

Jay states he has a letter from his lawyer stating the conditions under which OC is legal, relative to school proximity, which is also signed by the police chief or the CID seargent; that's great. It will probably keep him out of a lot of hot water with the law.Grapeshot requested that Jay post the letter;that's OK, too.As far as I know, the concept of OC and this siteis is not an 'every man for himself' endeavor. If Jay were to post the letter, than I could have a copy, too. So could anyone else who felt they needed one. We could all benefit from Jay's legwork.

Wouldn't that better reflect what we're about & what we're trying to accomplish?

No, I don't live in Maine, but I have family that does & I'm up your way quite a bit.

Just a thought.