• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why do I carry while fishing in Florida?

Mossy_35

imported post

Well, I had been in contact with officials and groundtroops at my local state park regarding the DEP open-carry issue. They all seem to have received the change of policy and were pretty supportive of the matter. Anyways, here is what happened this past Saturday:

I wrangled all my fishing gear together for a short trip and decided to strap on my Rossi .357 for the duration. I got to the location, began fishing and after about 15 worms and barely anything to show for it, I decided to head back to my car and try a new location. As I'm walking down a narrow 2ft wide path about the same distance from this creek, I approach the bridge where my car is parked and hear someone yell "Stop! There is an alligator about 20feet in front of you!"

I immediately put my fishing pole in my weak hand and unsnapped and placed my palm on my sidearm. "Am I clear to sprint by safely?" (my car is about 30 yards away). I hear back "I think so". I poke my head aroundthe curve, still nothing. I swiftly move to my car and from that angle, I can see it. Thankfully somebody was there, otherwise I would have been walking blind into a bad situation. Walking within 10 feet of a 12-13 foot (est.) gator was a little unnerving.

I tell ya though, I felt better knowing I had some form of defense, though .357hp from a snubby might not have done much to that alligator. Sorry, the picture doesn't do it justice, but i didnt dare move any closer.

+1 for preparedness :D

Edit: spelling

PT111

imported post

We used to have a 12' gator living in one of our ponds and I have walked right up on himseveral times. Needless to say that a few times I almost had to change pants. However he would always run from us so I never did really worry. However that was about 30 years ago and since then gators have become more used to humans especially those that get fed by humans and now start looking for a handout.

They are getting overpopulated and looking for anything to eat they can find. Me, I always take a handgun with me while fishing or hunting. You never know what is going to try to catch up with you. Snakes get tired of swimming and will climb into your boat!!!!!!!!!!

batch

imported post

Hi guys. Hate that this is my first post.

I am just curious on the plan to shoot that snake once it comes into the boat. LOL

Gators are a fact of life in Florida and situational awareness is a better tool than a gun.

I hunt gators with rod and reel in Palm Beach County. I had a big gator on and he was fowling the line in the weeds as he ran parallel to shore. We kept having to get into the water and grab the line and then I would cut it and reel back in some of the fowled line and blood knot it. Every time we went in you could see other gators start swimming toward the splashing. so we were thinking how aggressive these gators were.

Hunting the same spot this year and we saw guys wearing waders and hunting to avoid getting their line fowled.

BTW, though. It sucks that under Florida gator hunting laws. I have to walk back the truck for a bang stick when I have a perfectly functional firearm already on my side...

PT111

imported post

I am just curious on the plan to shoot that snake once it comes into the boat. LOL
Nope, the plan is before he gets into the boat. :D I had one try to get in and I took the paddle and knocked him away. He tried again and I knocked him back again. The third time he tried I picked up my .357 and took aim. He took one look at that barrel and dove underwater and wasn't seen again. :what: I know it sounds funny but that is just the way it happened. I doubt that the snake knew what a gun was but it was quite a coincidence. :D