• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1911 Customizing

wally1120

imported post

I recently got a Kimber Eclipse Pro 2, And it is to factoryish. I already installed Hogue grips on her, and about to replace the Main Springhousing. But what else can I do to it? I am also going to have the Trigger lightened about a pound. I just want it to be a one of a kind Eclipse. What all can be done to a 1911? I am newer to this all steel frame,and 1911`s are a little nicer then plastic guns but, I will own plastic guns as well.

ISMOID

MOC Charter Member - Dearborn Heights, Michigan, U
imported post

1911Gold3.jpg

Colt_1911_ser70.jpg

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

ISMOID wrote:
The man with the golden gun....interesting...

Veryornate and pretentious. Old school. Loud,and unrepentently so. High-aiming style....and with presumably semi-good intentions....but blusteringly shiny .... with overly-complicated vulgarity throughout....

Reminds me of ....hmmm, reminds me ..... of
33809.jpg

Or...
142.jpg

One of those, uhm, one.

:p

office888

imported post

Tritium Sights
Huge Beavertail Grip Safety
Regular or Full Length Guide rods
Recoil Buffers
Different Recoil Springs
Skeletonized Triggers
Skeletonized Hammers
Titanium Firing Pins
Extended Slide Release
Extended Mag Release

pretty much, you're only limited by how much $$$ you have.

I'm rocking an all-factory Springfield 1911A1 GI.

Needs:
Hogue Wraparound grips (Thanks for the suggestion at MiCPL SlowDog!)
Beavertail
Extended Slide Release
Tritium Sights

Wants:
Skeletonized Trigger + Hammer
Extended Mag Release

-Richard-

sevenplusone

imported post

I bought my DW CBob because of the modifications it already came with (bobtailed grip, night sights, dehorned edges, nice cocobolo grips, noMIM parts). It's basically a factory semi-custom handgun when you get it with all the of the typical 1911 upgrades that you would hire a gunsmith to do. The only mod I made was purchase a few extragrip sets (camelbone was my favorite...looks just like ivory).

The most important thing if you're going to carry a full-size 1911 is get a good gunbelt (not just a good belt...gun belt) and a nice leather holster. 1911's are a little heavy (40oz +/- for a full size fully loaded) but that is what makes them so nice to shoot. I have been carrying mine for two years now. I love it. My dad also carries a 1911a lot of the time and takes no issue with the weight.

Good luck with the Kimber. Try it the way it is for a while before deciding on what things you want to change. I'd be willing to bet you don't want it as different as you think.

G

imported post

I traded my Eclipse Pro II a few weeks ago in a deal for a HK91. I had it for a few years. It pretty much became my daily carry. Shoved it in my pants Mexican. I missed the hell out of that gun. I loved the looks it and it was extremely accurate.

I saw one on MGO last week and pretty much had a trade going for my Kimber Stainless Ultra Carry II, but some kid beat me out of it at the last minute.

So yesterday I ordered a brand new one. I'll have it Thursday.

I like the fact that Kimber does all of the custom work in a "production" fashion. Mine have all functioned very well. Except that I must say that the Eclipse Pro II was a bit finicky with ammo. I found that I had to run premium ammo (Golden Saber, Federal Hydra-shok, & other +Ps) for it to be 100% reliable.

Kimber also recommends replacing the recoil springs about every 750 rounds. They're avail able from their online store.

The only mods I've ever done to my kimbers has been wrap around houge grips.

The eclipse already has all of the mods that a office888 mentioned except the extended slide release.

Take the thing out and shoot the pi$$ out of it. That's what it's made for.

As far as a holster goes... leather galco quick slide belt holster.
http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG3.asp?ProductID=863&GunID=183

wally1120

imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
I traded my Eclipse Pro II a few weeks ago in a deal for a HK91. I had it for a few years. It pretty much became my daily carry. Shoved it in my pants Mexican. I missed the hell out of that gun. I loved the looks it and it was extremely accurate.

I saw one on MGO last week and pretty much had a trade going for my Kimber Stainless Ultra Carry II, but some kid beat me out of it at the last minute.

So yesterday I ordered a brand new one. I'll have it Thursday.

I like the fact that Kimber does all of the custom work in a "production" fashion. Mine have all functioned very well. Except that I must say that the Eclipse Pro II was a bit finicky with ammo. I found that I had to run premium ammo (Golden Saber, Federal Hydra-shok, & other +Ps) for it to be 100% reliable.

Kimber also recommends replacing the recoil springs about every 750 rounds. They're avail able from their online store.

The only mods I've ever done to my kimbers has been wrap around houge grips.

The eclipse already has all of the mods that a office888 mentioned except the extended slide release.

Take the thing out and shoot the pi$$ out of it. That's what it's made for.

As far as a holster goes... leather galco quick slide belt holster.
http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG3.asp?ProductID=863&GunID=183
Was the one on MGO have Black WoodCustom Chainlink grips? If so,You are going to want to beat my ass for this one, I am the kid that got the Kimber off of MGO. He did tell me that he was debating on what trade he wanted to do. He told me an offer for a AR came through,Then mine,And then your`s. I feel bad now that is a fellow OCer. You are right tho, they are damn great guns, I shot around 250 rounds through it this weekend and had 1 FTF. I was using reloads so that is probly one of the factors but, other then that it is a GREAT gun.

wally1120

imported post

I dont recall you shooting 500 rounds out of your Hipoint, You told me that you were only out at the range twice, If so I was with you both times. And recall you only shooting 100 rounds both times, So that would put you around 200 rounds at tops, Is all I have seen you shoot.

G

imported post

Interesting gun. Never looked at them before. Darn inexpensive. Not "pretty" but for $186 MSRP on a .45acp who cares what it looks like. Plus made in America. While I'm a buy American gunowner, I'll admit I have a weakness for the German & Austrian stuff. None of that former Soviet Bloc or third world garbage around here.

I'm going to have to take a closer look at the Hi Points.

My new Eclipse arrived at Customized Creationz today. I'm picking it up tomorrow along with my new Sig 556.:celebrate

So what did you have to give up for your Eclipse wally1120? I was told it was two guns.

wally1120

imported post

Yep I gave up a Springfield XD Compact Bi-Tone 45 ACP, And a Ruger 22/45 Mark 3 .22LR,And 225.00 Cash. I can tell you the gun was like brand new tho, Only sign of wear on the entire gun was on the bottom of the Beavertail from gettingdepressed.

wally1120

imported post

OH, What is everyone doing next weekend on the 14? My dad and I are thinking about setting up a onofficial IDPA shoot at the Jackson County Outdoor Club and was wondering if anyone want to particapate in the event. We arn`t worried about the weather, We shoot in any kinda weather that is presented to us. If you are intrested in shooting at the IDPA then please PM me. I want to find out if there is any intrest in it or not.

G

imported post

wally1120 wrote:
Hey CV67PAT, Is you Avatar a pic of the Nimitz?
No it's a generic ad that say "90,000 tons of diplomacy".
I gotta change it though. It's too small to see well.

Here's a better view:
90000TonsofDiplomacy.jpg

wally1120

imported post

Yeah I am happy with the trade. I do however miss the XD, Hell with the Ruger. I am going to try and replace the XD soon, May not be as soon as I like but, It will be replaced.

Congrats on getting a Brand New Eclipse, I to can say that they are great guns. To bad that you have to wait until tomorrow to go pick it up. I am also holding you to when you get back to MI in the spring that we have to go out shootin sometime.

Also my dad owned a Hi-Point 9mm W/ Compensator, It was a nice little gun. He qualified for his CPL with the Hi-Point. They are descent guns, They go boom when you need them to but, I have gotten to reliable guns,And looks so sexy. I would however own a Hi-Point for a Emergency gun. I wouldn`t baby that thing tho like I do with my Kimber.