• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1911 Customizing

G

imported post

In this photo of the USS Nimitz (CVN 68) you can see that she has 3 yard arms on her main mast. The drawing only depicts 2. I'll agree that the drawing is a rendering of a "Nimitz Class" carrier though. In the background is the USS Ronald Reagan (CVN 76), another Nimitz Class carrier.

To keep within the posting guidelines I've included a photo of my current open carry gun that I'm using until I get my new Eclipse tomorrow

CIMG5080.jpg

USSNimitzCVN68_041116_001.jpg

wally1120

imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
In this photo of the USS Nimitz (CVN 68) you can see that she has 3 yard arms on her main mast. The drawing only depicts 2. I'll agree that the drawing is a rendering of a "Nimitz Class" carrier though. In the background is the USS Ronald Reagan (CVN 76), another Nimitz Class carrier. I am not 100% on all the names of the ships, My brother is on the Nimitz right now tho. I dont think I couls handle being on a boat for a long period of time.

To keep within the posting guidelines I've included a photo of my current open carry gun that I'm using until I get my new Eclipse tomorrow. What model is this one? The grips look fairly descent in the pic. Does this model have a Ambi safety? I think having the short BBL on a 45 would be sweeter then hell, I am going to end up owning oneeventually, HOPEFULY.

CIMG5080.jpg

G

imported post

That is the Stainless Ultra Carry II. It's another amazingly accurate gun. I'm not that good. But these Kimbers sure do make me look good. It only has the left side safety.

I bought this one for my oldest son's 14th birthday:
Notice that it's bone stock, except the houge grips. We like to retain the artistic quality of a fine firearm such as these.
DSC02419.jpg

wally1120

imported post

office888 wrote:
Tritium Sights Already has
Huge Beavertail Grip Safety Has a extended Beaver tail
Regular or Full Length Guide rods Has the full lenght guide rod, That I am happy with
Recoil Buffers I havent checked into them.
Different Recoil Springs Recoils spring is just right, Not to heavy, not to light
Skeletonized Triggers I may end up replacing the trigger with a STI short shoe trigger, and may have a pound taken off the 4 pound trigger that is on it.
Skeletonized Hammers I dont know if I want to play around the hammer to much. It already has a Skeletonized hammer, I may however check into a R.D.I.H Hammer.
Titanium Firing Pins Already has one installed
Extended Slide Release I am looking into that as well, I just cant find the one that I have been looking for.
Extended Mag Release I dont think I want to do this mod, I think I would have to see this before I do it to mine.
I have put a set of Hogue grips on it and changed the looks of the gun, and much more comfortable to shoot to.
pretty much, you're only limited by how much $$$ you have.

I'm rocking an all-factory Springfield 1911A1 GI. I almost ended up with one of these. They are nice guns but, I wouldn`t want to shoot one as much as I go shooting.

Needs:
Hogue Wraparound grips (Thanks for the suggestion at MiCPL SlowDog!)
Beavertail
Extended Slide Release
Tritium Sights

Wants:
Skeletonized Trigger + Hammer
Extended Mag Release

-Richard-

wally1120

imported post

When you get back to MI, Do you mind if I shoot one of the snub nose 45`s? I have only shot a 4". And I love it. Don`t even care to shoot a 5" because I wont end up owning something that big. I think it would be intresting to shoot a short BBL chambered for the 45 AUTO.

G

imported post

Your Eclipse already has slightly extended slide and mag releases.

It's really got just about every mod you need for a 1911A1.

A little buff and polish of the feed ramp wouldn't hurt.

Or a BAR-STO barrel with attached feed ramp. You'd need to have the frame feed ramp removed for that.

That is probably the only mod I'd consider on my Eclipse. In fact when I pick it up tomorrow I might talk to the gunsmith about doing that.

G

imported post

wally1120 wrote:
When you get back to MI, Do you mind if I shoot one of the snub nose 45`s? I have only shot a 4". And I love it. Don`t even care to shoot a 5" because I wont end up owning something that big. I think it would be intresting to shoot a short BBL chambered for the 45 AUTO.
Sure. The Kimber kicks less than the Colt. I'm considering an Eclipse Ultra. I really like the looks and it has a SS frame.

You shoot this Stainless Ultra II and you'll not only want one, you'll get one.

It's a great carry size too.

Although the slide on the 4" carries mexican better.

wally1120

imported post

I would like to get an Ultra model but, I was wanting to get the Commander size first. I am wanting to get the 1911 .22LR Conversion, I think it is pretty cool and going to end up with the Conversion very soon.