• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

M-16 NY Times Blog Post

Evil Ernie

imported post

Interesting article.

I'll start the flame war. I carried the M16 and M203 for a couple years. Traded up to the M60 and I was a much happier (and tired) soldier. The 'Pig' never let me down. The M16 would choke on dirt and it's own carbon on a regular basis. On the range, the M16 would preform flawlessly for the 40 rounds used for qualification. Once we hit the live fire range for fire&maneuver training, it was all over. Usually by the second to third "I'm up, I'm seen, I'm down, supressive fire", it was jamming up tight as all hell. Dirt gets it every time. Mix that fine talc-like powdery dusty dirt with the CLP residue and carbon buildup and it's now a boat anchor.

Oh and one more thing. Show me another battle rifle with a "Forward Assist". LOL!!! Forward Assist? Seriously?!?!?

But on the range, they were great! Awesome accuracy!

Valcore

imported post

I have to say never have i heard more accurate words then what you just said about the M-16. I love it but i hate it. I own an AR-15 only because like you said its great on the range. If i had a choice i would take something else in combat with me.

Semper Fi