• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Laws in Texas Need Changing

TexasGunLover

imported post

I am a Texas resident, a lover of the constitution, and a proud gun-owner. Texas is supposed to be a very "pro-gun" state, yet Texas is one of only 7 states that forbids open-carrying of a firearm under any circumstances.

I am interested in working through grass-roots political activism and finding out more about the gun laws in Texas, specifically the ban on open-carrying of handguns. I then want to contact state legislators who are pro-second amendment and work with them to get support for a bill allowing for open-carry. Ideally, Texas would be like New Hampshire where everyone can open-carry without a permit.

Does anyone know what the gun law history in Texas is? How would I go about researching the history of fun laws, specifically the statute or statutes that prohibit open-carry? Does anyone know who the pro-second amendment legislators in Texas are, or any websites where I can see who is gun friendly in either the federal or state governments?

Thank you so much for your help.

KBCraig

imported post

It's not true that Texas bans openly carrying in all situations. With two exceptions (carrying with a CHL, or taking advantage of the Motorist Protection Act), open and concealed aren't mentioned. If you meet any other exception (traveling, on property you own or control, engaged in sporting activity commonly requiring use of a handgun, etc.), you may carry however you choose.

You have to understand how Texas handgun law works. First, start with a blanket prohibition against having a handgun on or about your person. Then, add some exceptions to that ban, and for two of those exceptions include a requirement that the handgun be concealed.

Edit: typo

Notso

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Also, go to the Texas section. There are many threadsdiscussing this subject.

Edit: BTW, welcome to OCDO. You might want to fill in the 'location' field so everyone knows where you are from since so much of what we discuss is location specific.

TFred

imported post

Definitely read through the past threads on the Texas forum. You will find that OCDO was very involved in an effort leading up to and during the last legislative session. However, the powerhouse pro-gun lobby organizations decided that open carry was not their concern this year, so there was very little support and in fact, some significant opposition to the effort.

If I remember correctly, the effort finally stalled when no legislator would introduce an open carry bill.

TFred

CommonMan101

imported post

TexasGunLover wrote:
I am a Texas resident, a lover of the constitution, and a proud gun-owner. Texas is supposed to be a very "pro-gun" state, yet Texas is one of only 7 states that forbids open-carrying of a firearm under any circumstances.

I am interested in working through grass-roots political activism and finding out more about the gun laws in Texas, specifically the ban on open-carrying of handguns. I then want to contact state legislators who are pro-second amendment and work with them to get support for a bill allowing for open-carry. Ideally, Texas would be like New Hampshire where everyone can open-carry without a permit.

Does anyone know what the gun law history in Texas is? How would I go about researching the history of fun laws, specifically the statute or statutes that prohibit open-carry? Does anyone know who the pro-second amendment legislators in Texas are, or any websites where I can see who is gun friendly in either the federal or state governments?

Boy have you hit the right website. Start reading. I think you'll findmuch here to help.

Here is the petition for Open Carry in Texas:

http://www.petitiononline.com/texasoc/petition.html

Get your friends and family to sign it too!

The more it grows the more it helps when it gets back in the limelight! That thread it's listed inshould be a stickybecause the petition needs continualsupport for future efforts.

Ow, Fred! guess the truth hurts me but...

Let's not encourage "stalled" to turn into "dead". K? Giving up is not an option, Tenacious persistenceis needed at this time.Sorry, nothing pesonal, but your postkinda ended witha "why bother" or "too late" feel to it. But of course you are right!

We can use all the sigs we can get -the bigger the base the bigger the momentum when it starts to roll again!

TFred

imported post

CommonMan101 wrote:
TexasGunLover wrote:

Boy have you hit the right website. Start reading. I think you'll findmuch here to help.

Here is the petition for Open Carry in Texas:

Get your friends and family to sign it too!

The more it grows the more it helps when it gets back in the limelight! That thread it's listed inshould be a stickybecause the petition needs continualsupport for future efforts.

Ow, Fred! guess the truth hurts me but...

Let's not encourage "stalled" to turn into "dead". K? Giving up is not an option, Tenacious persistenceis needed at this time.Sorry, nothing pesonal, but your postkinda ended witha "why bother" or "too late" feel to it. But of course you are right!

We can use all the sigs we can get -the bigger the base the bigger the momentum when it starts to roll again!
Apologies, I did not mean to imply dead forever, it was entirely referring to the efforts during this past legislative session!

TFred

Sealgar

imported post

I think the major problem this time around was because the legislators spent all their time wrangling over the current budget. That knocked out a great deal of legislation that would have came up for a vote. Money and power drives these crooks more than anything else.

Tweaker

imported post

Honestly, no open carry in TX is a travesty! I have it on the list of places I want to move to, but like SC, that is a huge problem for me!

Good luck in your struggle Tejas!

CommonMan101

imported post

A fewthings.......

This guy is a One-Post-Wonder? Where'd he go?

Open carry can happen in Texas just not so easily in public. I can open carry while I do my yardwork here or while working at my other properties. I see people Open Carry when they are checking me out at the register - granted I am most likely in a gun shop or a local Mom and Pop store that just got robbed last week. Theyget to defend themselves and their property.It's not a true "complete" ban on open carry here.

But it still sucks we are not like Vermont. Yay Vermont!

If you haven't signed the petition for Open Carry in Texas yet please do. When we do crank this back up for the next session it would be all that much better the more sigs we have.