Thread: Ruger sr-9

Post imported post

Well im have some money coming pretty soon and ive been looking at the Ruger sr-9. Whats your opinion about it for carrying it? I personally have shot it before and i achieved really good groups (around 2" at 25 yards) and it is very comfortable for me compared to my rather bulky ruger p-85. From the 200 rounds i shot with it i didnt get a single jam and from what i have read theres not really any draw backs on it.

So what is your opinion on this pistol? and would you suggest this or ruger's p90 or p345

thanks,
    John

Post imported post

I carry it for both OC and CC and have really grown to like it. It's a bit larger so it's more difficult to conceal. It can hold 18 rounds so it can be a bit heavy, though it is relatively thin. I would guess I've run maybe under a thousand rounds through mine without any jams. I'm a big fan of the gun!

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Same here - I open carry my SR9 daily, and have had no issues at all with about 1500 rounds fired. Like anything, it's a matter of personal preference, but the SR9 has my vote!

Post imported post

What holster do you guys use when OCing with it?

Post imported post

I too love Ruger's handguns. I really like the feel of the SR9. What changed my mind about buying is it won'tfire without a magazine inserted. Like I say, may not mean much to some , but to me it is a deal breaker. broke my heart to move past this one. Don't want to get caught unable to shoot because of a mag. I only mention it because I never see anyone else talk about it. Just food for thought.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I use a Fobus paddle holster, though I'm looking at some sort of drop-leg holster for winter carry.

Post imported post

I loved my SR9 but like an idiot I traded it. Holsters are being made BUT if you can't find something you like the SIG239 stuff in leather will work and the Glock 21 for the Serpa.(Little loose which I padded with some felt..which saved the finish)

Post imported post

DynoLA wrote:
    I too love Ruger's handguns. I really like the feel of the SR9. What changed my mind about buying is it won'tfire without a magazine inserted. Like I say, may not mean much to some , but to me it is a deal breaker. broke my heart to move past this one. Don't want to get caught unable to shoot because of a mag. I only mention it because I never see anyone else talk about it. Just food for thought.

What did you get instead of the SR-9?

BTW, it's possible to deactivate the SR-9 mag disconnect:

SR9 MAG Disconnect Removal Howto, With Pics

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=17201

Post imported post

Post imported post

HankT wrote:
    DynoLA wrote:

What did you get instead of the SR-9?

BTW, it's possible to deactivate the SR-9 mag disconnect:

SR9 MAG Disconnect Removal Howto, With Pics

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=17201

I bought a Sig 239 9mm. It is my daily carry now. I'm still looking for the home defense gun which is why I liked the SR9. I need something that is ambi. I'm the only righty in the house. My wife, son, and daughter are all lefty's.

I like that the SR9 has a ambi safety, mag release. A smaller grip and profile and has a rail for a light/laser. I didn't know about the Mag Safety disconnect. I might have to put it back on my radar. thanks

Post imported post

I like the SR9, Decent gun. I do have a problem with it having a Safety tho, It has a bit of a stiff trigger on it, And the Rear Sights are a little bit weird. But I like it, It reminds me of a 1911, and a Glock Mated together and that was the end result.

Post imported post

Blackhawk already has the Serpas made for the SR9 if anyone is interested. I just wish they would get off of their a****s and make one for the P95 w/tac rail.