• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pit bulls

Sionadi

imported post

Well i have been OCing for 2 days, count em 2 days.

I was riding my horse over to a friend's at about 7:00 AM to go call coyotes, on the way there i saw a group of 3 pit bulls further down the trail (wild by the looks of it). Well i have always been raised thinking pit bulls as terrible (i know this is wrong, but it was embedded into my mind when i was 6 or 7 and had to shoot one of my cows because it was pretty much torn apart by pit bulls). Anyway i drew my pistol and loaded it and kept it ready. And guess what, they start coming at me, heads down and growling.Well my horse isnt very fond of dogs so it reared on it's back 2 legs and i got clear of my horse and he kind of ran off a little ways, this made the dogs run at me. I fired 2 shots at the first dog, he went down, I shot once at the 2nd dog and that one went down, the 3rd one had enough brains and ran off. When i inspected the dogs they had no collar. The first dog had a hole in his neck and his front left leg was pretty much gone. The second one had a hole in his chest.

My weapon was a ruger p-85 9mm.

I am glad i started open carrying.

biggin215

imported post

BGs can come in any shape or form! Good to hear a good ending. I try not to judge any breed of dog, it all falls on the owner. Poor owner leads to a poor dog.... breed doesn't play into it near as much as the owner (not saying some breeds don't need a firmer hand though but it's the owner's responsibility to know that). My guess is thedogsprobably ran away from a bad home with bad experiences with human. Sad that it had to happen this way, really isn't the dogs' faults but sh*t happens.....

Carcharodon

imported post

I have several pit bulls and love them, but they are a big, strong dog. It sounds like you did the right thing and I'm glad there will be one less story of a pit mauling someone.

Sionadi

imported post

Yup, thats what it is. Around here theres alot of people letting their dogs run rampant and do anything. A couple years back i shot a dog on our property to learn it was my neighbor's.... 2 miles away from where i shot it. It also doesnt help that the people who own these wild dogs (mostly pot growers) blame us (the ranchers) that we just hate dogs. The federal trapper that works in this county and I have made countless enemies just because we killed their dogs that were running around on my property (another reason im glad to be OCing)

mserr

imported post

You could have kept going or stayed with your horse and gotten away very easily. Honestly just sounds like you were just looking for a reason to shoot something.

Sionadi

imported post

what? did you not read the story?, if i could of avoided it i would have, the pit bulls were already coming at me and my horse jumped which made them start running towards me so i started shooting, and the area i live in is covered by cattle ranches, i did a great favor to the community (and to my health) by killing these dogs as they would just go around killing cattle.

mserr

imported post

You said in your original post you got clear of your horse and that your horse ran away. you should have just stayed on your horse and ran away with it. Also you're just assuming these were wild dogs and that they were the dogs getting your cattle. If you had no way to get away and they were attacking you, i'm all for you shooting them to protect yourself, but it just didn't sound like that was the case is all. You could have gotten away very easily. If you did what you think you had to do 100%, good for you and glad you're safe. I just don't agree that it was your absolute last resort. Just stating my opinion, don't wish to turn this into a giant argument or anything.

BacknBlack

imported post

If the dogs were on the OP property, he had a right to shoot them regardless IMHO...

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Sionadi wrote:
.... Around here theres alot of people letting their dogs run rampant and do anything. A couple years back i shot a dog on our property to learn it was my neighbor's.... 2 miles away from where i shot it. It also doesnt help that the people who own these wild dogs (mostly pot growers) blame us (the ranchers) that we just hate dogs. The federal trapper that works in this county and I have made countless enemies just because we killed their dogs that were running around on my property (another reason im glad to be OCing)

Sionadi wrote:
Well i have been OCing for 2 days, count em 2 days.

I was riding my horse over to a friend's at about 7:00 AM to go call coyotes, on the way there i saw a group of 3 pit bulls further down the trail (wild by the looks of it). Well i have always been raised thinking pit bulls as terrible (i know this is wrong, but it was embedded into my mind when i was 6 or 7 and had to shoot one of my cows because it was pretty much torn apart by pit bulls). Anyway i drew my pistol and loaded it and kept it ready. And guess what, they start coming at me, heads down and growling.Well my horse isnt very fond of dogs so it reared on it's back 2 legs and i got clear of my horse and he kind of ran off a little ways, this made the dogs run at me. I fired 2 shots at the first dog, he went down, I shot once at the 2nd dog and that one went down, the 3rd one had enough brains and ran off. When i inspected the dogs they had no collar. The first dog had a hole in his neck and his front left leg was pretty much gone. The second one had a hole in his chest.

My weapon was a ruger p-85 9mm.

I am glad i started open carrying.

So, do you think the 3 pit bulls were wild dogs?

Or could they have been owned by somebody?

Sionadi

imported post

They had no collar or anything identifying them as being owned by someone. If they were owned by someone there will probably be another 'the terrible ranchers killed my dogs' story in the newspaper.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Sionadi wrote:
They had no collar or anything identifying them as being owned by someone. If they were owned by someone there will probably be another 'the terrible ranchers killed my dogs' story in the newspaper.

Were the dogs in good condition?

Is it possible to tell wild dogs from owned dogs which receive some human care?

How far from you were the dogs when you fired each time?

Sionadi

imported post

they looked very rough, they were not skinny, but didnt look all that well fed.

the first one was about 10 yards away when he went down, the second was more like 5 or 6 yards before i shot that one. They were to close to comfort. The third one had a bad leg it seems, it was way behind the other 2 when it they were coming at me and looked like it was limping when i saw it running.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Sionadi wrote:
they looked very rough, they were not skinny, but didnt look all that well fed.

the first one was about 10 yards away when he went down, the second was more like 5 or 6 yards before i shot that one. They were to close to comfort. The third one had a bad leg it seems, it was way behind the other 2 when it they were coming at me and looked like it was limping when i saw it running.

I'd say that shooting one at 30 ft, with two more in the pack,is pretty darn good, especially if it's moving. Same with the other one.

Don't see anything wrong with what you did. Seems to be right on. You did what you had to do.

jhow1nm2wrote:
Good shoot...glad you were armed, well practiced and for what MSerr says....I'd like to put him in the same position and then ask him what he did...
Who is "him?"

mserr

imported post

personally I would have kept on riding, wouldn't have even gave the horse a chance to see the dogs or get spooked. Situation averted.

mserr

imported post

Im sorry. I really don't want to turn this into an argument. I was just saying in my opinion that it could have been avoided, but I wasn't there I admit that. And if I was in that situation and it was my ABSOLUTELY last resort I would have done the same. No more about the morals of this, I'll let the OP have his thread now.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

mserr wrote:
Im sorry. I really don't want to turn this into an argument. I was just saying in my opinion that it could have been avoided, but I wasn't there I admit that. And if I was in that situation and it was my ABSOLUTELY last resort I would have done the same. No more about the morals of this, I'll let the OP have his thread now.

Your contribution to this thread is/was good. Nothing wrong with a discussion about the event's details. Nothing wrong with an opinion sharing based on what we know and what we feel. That's what discussion forums are for. People, such as yourself, can make a contribution to the OCDO by posting their thoughts, opinions and judgments. Even if they are not politically correct with others on the forum.

In the end, you may be right--that the shooting was avoidable. I tend to think that way myself in this case.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

HankT wrote:
mserr wrote:

Your contribution to this thread is/was good. Nothing wrong with a discussion about the event's details. Nothing wrong with an opinion sharing based on what we know and what we feel. That's what discussion forums are for. People, such as yourself, can make a contribution to the OCDO by posting their thoughts, opinions and judgments. Even if they are not politically correct with others on the forum.

In the end, you may be right--that the shooting was avoidable. I tend to think that way myself in this case.
Let's see. Horseback riding on a trail, in the direction of unleashed dogs with no owner in sight, you see them, they stare at you. Do you turn around, invoking their prey drive, and get thrown from your horse right into their jaws, or do you hope they'll spook and run before your horse spooks and runs?