• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pit bulls

Sealgar

imported post

mserr wrote:
Im sorry. I really don't want to turn this into an argument. I was just saying in my opinion that it could have been avoided, but I wasn't there I admit that. And if I was in that situation and it was my ABSOLUTELY last resort I would have done the same. No more about the morals of this, I'll let the OP have his thread now.

No offense intended, but you are very inexperienced in this area. First of all, not all horses-especially loaded with a rider- can outrun dogs. Second, there are fences, ditches and varmint-dug holes to contend with. Had Sionadi encountered any of these, there could have beena major wreck ending with a ruined horse that would have to be destroyed, and maybe him in a wheelchair or worse. The dogs had no business being there, period. Sionadi had a right and duty to solve the problem someone else created. Cleaning up the mess others leave is not a pleasant task, but sometimes one gets stuck with it.

I live in the country, and a lot of college kids and others drop their dogs in our area when they become inconvenient. These dogs depredate on cattle and wildlife, threaten people, and are a major danger to children. I too have had to clean up a lot of other peoples mess, and I resent it. I'm sure most ranchers do too, not that they have much choice in the matter.

As for running from a threat on my own property... That'll be the day.

Sionadi

imported post

just so you guys know, this did not occur on my property, i was on a public (remote however) bike/horse trail that turned out near my friend's house. If this was on my property i would have shot them right when i saw them.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

N6ATF wrote:
HankT wrote:
mserr wrote:
Im sorry. I really don't want to turn this into an argument. I was just saying in my opinion that it could have been avoided, but I wasn't there I admit that. And if I was in that situation and it was my ABSOLUTELY last resort I would have done the same. No more about the morals of this, I'll let the OP have his thread now.

Your contribution to this thread is/was good. Nothing wrong with a discussion about the event's details. Nothing wrong with an opinion sharing based on what we know and what we feel. That's what discussion forums are for. People, such as yourself, can make a contribution to the OCDO by posting their thoughts, opinions and judgments. Even if they are not politically correct with others on the forum.

In the end, you may be right--that the shooting was avoidable. I tend to think that way myself in this case.
Let's see. Horseback riding on a trail, in the direction of unleashed dogs with no owner in sight, you see them, they stare at you. Do you turn around, invoking their prey drive, and get thrown from your horse right into their jaws, or do you hope they'll spook and run before your horse spooks and runs?
So, you don't think mserr should have posted his thoughts, N6?

mortonrml

imported post

Job well done! I'm very glad for you and your horse. People like the "hippies" we have in the WhiteHouse think that for every bad thing (in this case dogs) you can hope to Peace that it jus goes away, and that one can always avoid stuff. Well thats bull. Truth is its a harsh world out there and a person has to take care of himself sometimes and thats just what you did. Thank you.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

HankT wrote:
N6ATF wrote:
HankT wrote:
mserr wrote:

Your contribution to this thread is/was good. Nothing wrong with a discussion about the event's details. Nothing wrong with an opinion sharing based on what we know and what we feel. That's what discussion forums are for. People, such as yourself, can make a contribution to the OCDO by posting their thoughts, opinions and judgments. Even if they are not politically correct with others on the forum.

In the end, you may be right--that the shooting was avoidable. I tend to think that way myself in this case.
Let's see. Horseback riding on a trail, in the direction of unleashed dogs with no owner in sight, you see them, they stare at you. Do you turn around, invoking their prey drive, and get thrown from your horse right into their jaws, or do you hope they'll spook and run before your horse spooks and runs?
So, you don't think mserr should have posted his thoughts, N6?
I disagree with whoever thinks that the shooting was avoidable, and explained why. Feel free to feed the sea lion something other than red herrings. Thanks.

SeaworldSeaLionFace.gif

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Sionadi wrote:
N6 never said that he shouldn't have, he was giving his own thoughts

It was unclear, given the context of the post set that N6 replied to.

He could have made more clear what he was actually commenting on. His view is as valuable as anyone else's. No need for him to muddy the waters by not editing the posts a bit.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

HankT wrote:
Sionadi wrote:

He could have made more clear what he was actually commenting on. His view is as valuable as anyone else's. No need for him to muddy the waters by not editing the posts a bit.
My reply immediately addressed the last sentence of your reply. Point, counterpoint. The only confusion seems to be in your own head.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

N6ATF wrote:
HankT wrote:
Sionadi wrote:

My reply immediately addressed the last sentence of your reply. Point, counterpoint. The only confusion seems to be in your own head.

All you had to do was highlight that which you were responding to.

You were lazy. No big thang, son.

wrightme

imported post

HankT wrote:
N6ATF wrote:
HankT wrote:
Sionadi wrote:

All you had to do was highlight that which you were responding to.

You were lazy. No big thang, son.
It was perfectly clear. You were either incorrect in your understanding, or intentionally obtuse. No big thang, son.

SteveInAshand

imported post

Forget the bozo who is 2nd guessing You my friend .

You will always find an armchair busy body troller on any site like this doing a wannabee lawyer trashing of you when you post anything heroing, heroic, horrific, hair raising or honest as the day is long.

I LOVE Am staff / Stafordshire / Pit bulls and bully breeds , I have had 2 of these wonderful dog's and am looking for another pup now to replace my late 17 year old best buddy , and "I" would shoot them dead just like you did, they can & will chaise down a horse before if get's into full gallop.

What you got here is guys who "project" a negative slant onto you, every thing you say is filtered through their negative mind they for the most part think in a dishonest way and project their dishonesty onto you with ZERO objectivity.

God help You if you find yourself being judged by them and they are a jury Your HUNG, to project negativity means YOU are negative a liar, a thief and more than likely guys like this have taken on there momma's female minded emotional anger based judgmental 'ism into the world and judge everyone's motives as bad.

Its sad to see men who look at the world like judgmental women do.

ANY dog that runs wild & free in farm and ranch land is an open target including MINE and I know it and live by it.

You did the RIGHT thing.

MulusVagus

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Excellent job sir.

Loose dogs in a pack are dangerous whether in open country or urban settings, with or without collars. As someone who has also had to cleanup the messes of others I can tell you it is never a pleasant situation.

Good job on avoiding either yourself or the horse being hurt also. I own and ride several and they can all be unpredictable and dangerous themselves.

compmanio365

imported post

Yes, let's try to run away from the dogs in attack mode, because as anyone who knows anything about canine behavior knows, running triggers the hunter instinct in dogs and you become prey. The best thing you could have done, you did, you stood your ground and when they attacked, you defended yourself. Couldn't have ended up any better than it did.

heliopolissolutions

imported post

Whoa.
Stop hating on mserr, he has a point and you know it.

Did you really post this so you could get some slaps on the back and a "hahaha, good shootin' champ"?
This is discussion, and you shouldn't be trying to step on anyone who is only raising points, especially as politely as mserr was.

Stamping out all opposing view points, and creating a singular perspective is pretty much the antithesis of what I would consider ideal American values.

Hey, a horse is worth a heck of a lot more than a couple of wild dogs. Thats a fact. Your life is worth a heck of a lot more than a couple of wild dogs as well.
What did you do with the corpses after you killed them?

eddyys

imported post

You did what you had too do. Pit bulls can be great dogs as long as they are trained and well maintained. In this case I probably would have done the same thing. Your horse's life and your life were both endangered here and that is not to be overshadowed by anything. I support your actions and I am sure anyone else here will.

I do also agree if there was a way around this situation to avoid it all together then take it. In this case I don't see a way to avoid the immediate danger, thus you had to do what you had to do.

wrightme

imported post

heliopolissolutions wrote:
Whoa.
Stop hating on mserr, he has a point and you know it.
No, he had an uninformed opinion. He had a mistaken belief that the answer was simply to run away.

mserr wrote:
You could have kept going or stayed with your horse and gotten away very easily. Honestly just sounds like you were just looking for a reason to shoot something.
Sionadi wrote:
what? did you not read the story?, if i could of avoided it i would have, the pit bulls were already coming at me and my horse jumped which made them start running towards me so i started shooting, and the area i live in is covered by cattle ranches, i did a great favor to the community (and to my health) by killing these dogs as they would just go around killing cattle.

UtahJarhead

imported post

Coyotes are considered Varmint. As such, it's open season all year round on them and it's fair hunting. So far as I know, there's no limit so a lot of people will take either handguns or rifles out and go to town on coyotes. They're probably the leading wild killer of livestock and a danger. While necessary from a wild standpoint, there's enough of them and they provide enough of a danger for them to be fair game at any time.