• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

opencarry while hunting

frgntsmtn

imported post

My first season deer hunting and i have been looking around for any lawsbut have not been able to find any saying i cant. seen laws for concealed carry on national forest but nothing for wma. just wanted to make sure it was ok first

rob99vmi04

imported post

frgntsmtn wrote:
My first season deer hunting and i have been looking around for any lawsbut have not been able to find any saying i cant. seen laws for concealed carry on national forest but nothing for wma. just wanted to make sure it was ok first

Be careful, depending on how you are hunting and the method in which are trying to take game could come into play.

For example: If your hunting with archery tackle I don't think your allowed to have gun with you unless you have a CHP. I'm Not sure if the same thing applies to muzzleloading. However, if your in a rifle area then technically you could be hunting with your pistol.

SuperDad

Charlottesville / Hampton Roads, Virginia, USA
imported post

The only thing I found was from theVADGIF Hunting Regulations, basically says that you must have a CHP in order to carry a handgun while hunting during muzzleloader and archery season. Didn't find anything specifically stating OC though. I'll ask my neighbor tonight if I see him as he is a Game Warden and might be able to cite the specific code(s). However you are allowed to hunt with a handgun as long as: quoted right out of the regs:

"Pistols and revolvers are lawful for deer and bear hunting only in those counties where hunting deer and bear with rifles is lawful. Cartridges used must be .23 caliber or larger and have a manufacturer's rating of 350 foot-pounds muzzle energy or more. "

Also from the hunting regs:

Valid Concealed Handgun Permit Holders May:
  • Possess a concealed handgun during the archery and muzzleloader seasons. Such handguns may not be used to shoot any wild animals during these seasons.
  • Possess a concealed handgun on National Forest and Department lands during the closed season.
  • Possess and transport a loaded concealed handgun in or on any vehicle on National Forest and Department lands.

rob99vmi04

imported post

SuperDad wrote:
The only thing I found was from theVADGIF Hunting Regulations, basically says that you must have a CHP in order to carry a handgun while hunting during muzzleloader and archery season. Didn't find anything specifically stating OC though. I'll ask my neighbor tonight if I see him as he is a Game Warden and might be able to cite the specific code(s). However you are allowed to hunt with a handgun as long as: quoted right out of the regs:

"Pistols and revolvers are lawful for deer and bear hunting only in those counties where hunting deer and bear with rifles is lawful. Cartridges used must be .23 caliber or larger and have a manufacturer's rating of 350 foot-pounds muzzle energy or more. "

Also from the hunting regs:

Valid Concealed Handgun Permit Holders May:
  • Possess a concealed handgun during the archery and muzzleloader seasons. Such handguns may not be used to shoot any wild animals during these seasons.
  • Possess a concealed handgun on National Forest and Department lands during the closed season.
  • Possess and transport a loaded concealed handgun in or on any vehicle on National Forest and Department lands.

IANAL, however, I think a game warden could charge you with hunting out of season if he catches you OC'n and you do not have a valid VA CHP.

Just on a side note " I would really like to know what this means

" Cartridges used must be .23 caliber or larger and have a manufacturer's rating of 350 foot-pounds muzzle energy or more. "

What if I'm the manufacturer of my own ammuntion.