Thread: IWB holster for OC

Post imported post

Would an IWB holster be ok for open carrying? I realize it is getting colder, and all I do is wear a hooded sweatshirt over a t-shirt, nothing heavy. If I were to tuck my sweatshirt behind the grip so the grip was exposed, would that still be considered open carry?
    Quote Originally Posted by SayWhat View Post

Shooters before hooters.

Post imported post

I will answer 2 ways:

1. (Assuming you have a CC Permit) Knock yourself out. Carry how ever you want.

2. (Assuming you don't have a CC Permit) Be careful. An IWB Holster is by definition designed for concealled carry. As you describe it one "could" say that was open carry. However, let me describe the most likely LEO encounter. LEO would assume that you were intending to carry concealled and that your sweatshirt just got accidentally pulled up and over the gun. They will likely point that out (as a courtesy) and then ask to see your permit (just for good measure). At this point if you don't have a permit and you try to claim that you were intending to carry OC is going to sound like a load of crap.

Just my $.0.02

Post imported post

Sounds like it's better to carry without any sort of sweatshirt or anything and just tuck my shirt completely in.

Shooters before hooters.

Post imported post

I'd get a CC permit and then carry however you want.

Post imported post

G22Paddy wrote:
    Would an IWB holster be ok for open carrying? I realize it is getting colder, and all I do is wear a hooded sweatshirt over a t-shirt, nothing heavy. If I were to tuck my sweatshirt behind the grip so the grip was exposed, would that still be considered open carry?
    I believe the prevailing opinion would be: No.

You can carry the same way you intend but with an OWB holster and your good.
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Him: "I carry my gun concealed"
    Me: "You're not very good at it"
    Him: "What do you mean?"
    Me: "I know you have a gun"
    End of conversation.

Post imported post

I pretty exclusively carry CC. XD-40sc in a supertuck most recently. There are occasions that I want to take off my jacket or whatever. If that's the case, I have no problem letting it all hang out.

IWB serves as a nice dual purpose alternative. No, it doesn't present the sidearm as prominently as an OWB, but at least your armed. If I feel like OC'ing then I'll grab the belt holster, but usually, it's IWB.
    www.WaGuns.org

Currently mapping locations of Shooting Areas as well as Gun Stores - Let me know what is missing!

Post imported post

TriCityOC wrote:
    I will answer 2 ways:

2. (Assuming you don't have a CC Permit) Be careful. An IWB Holster is by definition designed for concealled carry. As you describe it one "could" say that was open carry. However, let me describe the most likely LEO encounter. LEO would assume that you were intending to carry concealled and that your sweatshirt just got accidentally pulled up and over the gun. They will likely point that out (as a courtesy) and then ask to see your permit (just for good measure). At this point if you don't have a permit and you try to claim that you were intending to carry OC is going to sound like a load of crap.

Just my $.0.02
    So the Washington code speaks to the type of holster you use? I am pretty sure it doesnt, but am willing to be proven wrong with a cite.

It boils down to how the law is worded, here in virginia it says "hidden from common observation". So with a IWB, the handle of the firearm is "observable" thus its OC.

Post imported post

I'm guessing sooner or later someone's gonna say "Better safe than sorry, get an OWB."

Wait, I just said it.

Shooters before hooters.

Post imported post

TriCityOC wrote:
    I will answer 2 ways:

Just my $.0.02
    1. LEOs cant just assume that you were intending to carry concealed, they might try but would only succeed if you allow them to.There is no RAS to even talk to you. The LEO could only act on what he sees not what he or she thinks may have happened. Now it would be easy to have a LEO see your sweatshirt fall down and cover your weapon then he would havea reason to ask for your CPL to see if you are legal.

2. If you are openly carrying there is no reason for a LEO to ask for your permit.

3. I OC with a IWB holster all the time, it works better for me in the car and holds the weapon closer to my body.

4. Get your CPL and then you do not have to even think about it.

Orphan

Throw me to the wolves and I will come back leading the pack.

Post imported post

The exact same amount of the gun is exposed to view whether using an IWB (like a Galco Summer Comfort) or an OWB like a SERPA. Just because you can see the rest of the gun-shaped material on an OWB, doesn't mean you are actually looking at the gun.

No law that states how OC is supposed to be accomplished. (Only how it is NOT supposed to be accomplished. Which do not include allowed/disallowed holster types.)

I've OCed with an IWB on occasion and I didn't get any more or less attention than I do when carrying OWB. No big deal. In the instance where you want to use one holster for very good concealed carry AND occasional open carry, an IWB is just fine.

Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States

Post imported post

It really all comes down to personal preference. If you prefer an IWB holster, knock yourself out. Just make really sure your shirt, jacket, etc. doesn't cover it unless you have a CPL.

Most of us have a CPL anyway because you need one to carry a loaded gun while driving. Also, many of us conceal during cooler/wetter weather.
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"I like people who stand on the Constitution... unless they're using it to wipe their feet." - Jon E Hutcherson

Post imported post

G22Paddy wrote:
    I'm guessing sooner or later someone's gonna say "Better safe than sorry, get an OWB."

Wait, I just said it.
    I have only been stopped and questioned by a LEO once and his justification for questioning me was do to the fact that I was carrying with an IWB holster. The reasoning was that it was "partially concealed" :quirky

I now have an OWB holster...

You can read my thread on this here:
    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/25883.html

"...our media are palace eunuchs gazing avidly at the harem of power and stroking their impotent pens in time to the rape of our liberties."
    -Sarah Hoyt

"America is at that awkward stage; it's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards."
    -Claire Wolfe

Post imported post

I OC once in a while with my Crossbreed Supertuck. I just tuck the shirt in. I have my CPL as well so it really doesn't matter how I carry.
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." -John Stuart Mill

Post imported post

GreatWhiteLlama wrote:
    G22Paddy wrote:

Wait, I just said it.
    I have only been stopped and questioned by a LEO once and his justification for questioning me was do to the fact that I was carrying with an IWB holster. The reasoning was that it was "partially concealed" :quirky

I now have an OWB holster...

You can read my thread on this here:
    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/25883.html

I would have asked the officer what the law says about "partially concealed"

I would then follow up with "By that same logic its partially visible"