• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

IWB holster for OC

.45ACPaddy

imported post

Would an IWB holster be ok for open carrying? I realize it is getting colder, and all I do is wear a hooded sweatshirt over a t-shirt, nothing heavy. If I were to tuck my sweatshirt behind the grip so the grip was exposed, would that still be considered open carry?

TriCityOC

imported post

I will answer 2 ways:

1. (Assuming you have a CC Permit) Knock yourself out. Carry how ever you want.

2. (Assuming you don't have a CC Permit) Be careful. An IWB Holster is by definition designed for concealled carry. As you describe it one "could" say that was open carry. However, let me describe the most likely LEO encounter. LEO would assume that you were intending to carry concealled and that your sweatshirt just got accidentally pulled up and over the gun. They will likely point that out (as a courtesy) and then ask to see your permit (just for good measure). At this point if you don't have a permit and you try to claim that you were intending to carry OC is going to sound like a load of crap.

Just my $.0.02

.45ACPaddy

imported post

Sounds like it's better to carry without any sort of sweatshirt or anything and just tuck my shirt completely in.

turbodog

imported post

G22Paddy wrote:
Would an IWB holster be ok for open carrying? I realize it is getting colder, and all I do is wear a hooded sweatshirt over a t-shirt, nothing heavy. If I were to tuck my sweatshirt behind the grip so the grip was exposed, would that still be considered open carry?
I believe the prevailing opinion would be: No.

You can carry the same way you intend but with an OWB holster and your good.

massivedesign

imported post

I pretty exclusively carry CC. XD-40sc in a supertuck most recently. There are occasions that I want to take off my jacket or whatever. If that's the case, I have no problem letting it all hang out.

IWB serves as a nice dual purpose alternative. No, it doesn't present the sidearm as prominently as an OWB, but at least your armed. If I feel like OC'ing then I'll grab the belt holster, but usually, it's IWB.

usaf0906

imported post

TriCityOC wrote:
I will answer 2 ways:

2. (Assuming you don't have a CC Permit) Be careful. An IWB Holster is by definition designed for concealled carry. As you describe it one "could" say that was open carry. However, let me describe the most likely LEO encounter. LEO would assume that you were intending to carry concealled and that your sweatshirt just got accidentally pulled up and over the gun. They will likely point that out (as a courtesy) and then ask to see your permit (just for good measure). At this point if you don't have a permit and you try to claim that you were intending to carry OC is going to sound like a load of crap.

Just my $.0.02

So the Washington code speaks to the type of holster you use? I am pretty sure it doesnt, but am willing to be proven wrong with a cite.

It boils down to how the law is worded, here in virginia it says "hidden from common observation". So with a IWB, the handle of the firearm is "observable" thus its OC.

.45ACPaddy

imported post

I'm guessing sooner or later someone's gonna say "Better safe than sorry, get an OWB."

Wait, I just said it.:lol:

Jeff Hayes

imported post

TriCityOC wrote:
I will answer 2 ways:

Just my $.0.02
1. LEOs cant just assume that you were intending to carry concealed, they might try but would only succeed if you allow them to.There is no RAS to even talk to you. The LEO could only act on what he sees not what he or she thinks may have happened. Now it would be easy to have a LEO see your sweatshirt fall down and cover your weapon then he would havea reason to ask for your CPL to see if you are legal.

2. If you are openly carrying there is no reason for a LEO to ask for your permit.

3. I OC with a IWB holster all the time, it works better for me in the car and holds the weapon closer to my body.

4. Get your CPL and then you do not have to even think about it.

Orphan

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

The exact same amount of the gun is exposed to view whether using an IWB (like a Galco Summer Comfort) or an OWB like a SERPA. Just because you can see the rest of the gun-shaped material on an OWB, doesn't mean you are actually looking at the gun.

No law that states how OC is supposed to be accomplished. (Only how it is NOT supposed to be accomplished. Which do not include allowed/disallowed holster types.)

I've OCed with an IWB on occasion and I didn't get any more or less attention than I do when carrying OWB. No big deal. In the instance where you want to use one holster for very good concealed carry AND occasional open carry, an IWB is just fine.

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

It really all comes down to personal preference. If you prefer an IWB holster, knock yourself out. Just make really sure your shirt, jacket, etc. doesn't cover it unless you have a CPL.

Most of us have a CPL anyway because you need one to carry a loaded gun while driving. Also, many of us conceal during cooler/wetter weather.

GreatWhiteLlama

imported post

G22Paddy wrote:
I'm guessing sooner or later someone's gonna say "Better safe than sorry, get an OWB."

I have only been stopped and questioned by a LEO once and his justification for questioning me was do to the fact that I was carrying with an IWB holster. The reasoning was that it was "partially concealed" :quirky

I now have an OWB holster...

You can read my thread on this here:
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/25883.html

usaf0906

imported post

GreatWhiteLlama wrote:
G22Paddy wrote:

I have only been stopped and questioned by a LEO once and his justification for questioning me was do to the fact that I was carrying with an IWB holster. The reasoning was that it was "partially concealed" :quirky

I now have an OWB holster...

You can read my thread on this here:
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/25883.html

I would have asked the officer what the law says about "partially concealed"

I would then follow up with "By that same logic its partially visible"