• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry vs school zone.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Brendon .45 wrote:
This is something I have been concerned about - Say I want to go to (insert your store here) which just happens to be accross the street and within 1000 feet of a school property. If said business has its own lot contiguous with the store, I can carry there as it is private property in spite of the school zone law?
Yes, because the lot is private property. it just shows how idiotic the GFSZ's really are. Even If that private property abuts the schools front door, you are legal to carry there too.

AaronS

imported post

Brendon .45 wrote:
This is something I have been concerned about - Say I want to go to (insert your store here) which just happens to be accross the street and within 1000 feet of a school property. If said business has its own lot contiguous with the store, I can carry there as it is private property in spite of the school zone law?
Yep, private property is not part of any "school zone". The school could be next to the store, and the parking lot of the store is good for carry. The law does nothing for anyone, and should be dropped...

protias

imported post

AaronS wrote:
Brendon .45 wrote:
Yep, private property is not part of any "school zone". The school could be next to the store, and the parking lot of the store is good for carry. The law does nothing for anyone, and should be dropped...
Yup, especially this passed weekend when two separate instances where people were shot right in front of schools.

M

McX

imported post

OK, I got a question here. Probably the wrong thread. But the experts are assembled: So if CC goes through, but they don't budge on school zone. How we gonna pass through a school zone? Then the extrapolates of: What? CC ok for vehicle pass through? What about the poor OC? From the wind that blows I can tell they hate and want to kill OC. But still months have gone by, they leak a willingness to something, and yet another month goes by!
You guys missed a good one; first time in my life seen. Customer too cheap for a lug nut welded the wheel onto the hub! That's why I love my job.
Not much to report; CC at the shop lately, 'cause of the cold. Haven't seen an Open Carrier for awhile. Ran into an "underground" open carrier today; A plumber who OC's if he doesn't like the neighborhood. Told him to come here.
Thanks for the poop on "Conditions" near as I can tell I'm a 3 and 1/2.

M

McX

imported post

I can answer this one; Mechanix Ltd. And Yes!

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

We have a plan. I will not go into detail as I do not want to slip to much out there yet, but here is the gist of the plan.

I don't live in a school zone, so I can carry around the block when I walk the dog, you DO, so you cannot. That means, based on where I live, I have more/less ability to exercise a constitutional right. In addition, the statute, as written, specifically states that you can get a license/permit to carry in a school zone. We cannot find a single government entity that has a procedure/application for such a license, much less any record of issuing said license.

Given the two issues cited above, (some can, some can't) and (no possibility of license/permit) we believe this to be unconstitutional. We are getting things lined and hope to be filing a lawsuit stating as much and asking the court to overturn the statute (something that SCOTUS already did at the federal level).

Signing the petition, allows us to present xxxx signatures to our elected officials. "we have xxxx signatures asking for this to be overturned." They might all be from a single district, can that elected official take the chance and ignore us?

Finally, and this in my opinion is where we have failed, we need to be talking to the local VFW and American Legion halls. We need to let them know that there is NO LEGAL WAY for the vets to march in the Memorial day parades, NONE! We need to mobilize these organizations to put pressure on the legislature along with us.

The vets usually march five(5) people. Three in the middle with flags, one on each end with a firearm. If the parade starts at, ends at, or passes within 100ft of, a school, those veterans are in violation. It doesn't matterif it's loaded or not, the statute is clear, ("unloaded and ENCASED") anything else is a felony.

You want towrite a letter? Write and ask you legislator why they want the vets, who have sacrificed for our rights, to become felons.

M

McX

imported post

Give them hell BnH! It's the roadblocks, and incongruities that keep gnawing at me: The Veterans can march through a school zone. But Joe Average can't. The authorities in the Milwaukee area whisper they are agreeable to CC, but then the hidden agenda of knocking off OC emerges. And they leave the school zone roadblock for anyone OC or CC. The Milwaukee authorities whisper, but like that's gonna get past the Governor. Moot point. The OC'er can expect Police interaction, but yet, the gang members, like the ones in our district (shop area) can come and go, through the school zone, in their cars, and on foot, with their baggy butt clothes, and shirts hanging down, the perfect outfit for concealing something, in gang colors of Red and Black. If I want to go across the street from my shop, to the convenience store, I can't carry, 'cause I would have to pass through a school zone. And looking at the clientel of the store I for damn sure would carry if I could. But if I OC'd I'd be nailed for a school zone violation, but the gang members can damn near obviously CC, and no one stops or confronts them. Even if they wiped the school zone crap, I'd still get rousted for OC, while the gang member carrying CC next to me could just scurry away. The Milwaukee authorities mention that with CC it would be guess who's carrying. Button, button, who's got the button?
With OC you KNOW whos got the button. An interesting note; While talking with the plumber the other day, he mentioned how the "homies" looked at him when he OC'd into a bad area, to do his job. AND NOTHING HAPPENED. The public, the officials just don't seem to get it: An OC'er passes through, AND NOTHING HAPPENS! Can a CC'er get that type of response? Think about it.

M

McX

imported post

10-4 M'Laud Doug: In the day we instictively knew to stand, and uncover, no one had to tell us. We knew respect, and didn't have to be reminded. Different world for sure today.

M

McX

imported post

Hey, M'Lord Doug. When did you get Knighted? I used to love ya, but you didn't even invite me to the ceremony! Can you fix it so I get MP (Member of Parliment)?:D Glad to see your still around.

cleveland

imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
We have a plan. I will not go into detail as I do not want to slip to much out there yet, but here is the gist of the plan.

I don't live in a school zone, so I can carry around the block when I walk the dog, you DO, so you cannot. That means, based on where I live, I have more/less ability to exercise a constitutional right. In addition, the statute, as written, specifically states that you can get a license/permit to carry in a school zone. We cannot find a single government entity that has a procedure/application for such a license, much less any record of issuing said license.

Given the two issues cited above, (some can, some can't) and (no possibility of license/permit) we believe this to be unconstitutional. We are getting things lined and hope to be filing a lawsuit stating as much and asking the court to overturn the statute (something that SCOTUS already did at the federal level).

Signing the petition, allows us to present xxxx signatures to our elected officials. "we have xxxx signatures asking for this to be overturned." They might all be from a single district, can that elected official take the chance and ignore us?

Finally, and this in my opinion is where we have failed, we need to be talking to the local VFW and American Legion halls. We need to let them know that there is NO LEGAL WAY for the vets to march in the Memorial day parades, NONE! We need to mobilize these organizations to put pressure on the legislature along with us.

The vets usually march five(5) people. Three in the middle with flags, one on each end with a firearm. If the parade starts at, ends at, or passes within 100ft of, a school, those veterans are in violation. It doesn't matterif it's loaded or not, the statute is clear, ("unloaded and ENCASED") anything else is a felony.

You want towrite a letter? Write and ask you legislator why they want the vets, who have sacrificed for our rights, to become felons.
That sounds GREAT!!! Other then writing a letter to my legislator, is there another way I can help?

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Hubert, the way you explained the situation, It is very similar to the marijuana tax-stamp deal from a few decades back. they way I understand it, marijuana was legal if you had the proper tax stamp, but to get the tax stamp you first had to illegally possess marijuana, but if you possessed the stuff, you were afoul of the law. Circular reasoning and the biggest of all catch-22's in our nations history.

(I neither advocate or demonize the use of marijuana, I have no comment either way)

cleveland

imported post

Perhaps sharing your letter can serve as a guide line for others, like me. I haven't written a letter in years!

Uziel Gal

imported post

The best way, in my opinion, to combat Wisconsin's School Gun Zone laws is to have one of the major manufactures like Plano build a line of clear plastic gun cases. Something like a clear plastic H&K MP5 briefcase with velcro straps to secure the firearm and without the shoot n' carry option. Long gun cases are best so that people can see them from quite a distance. Then put together a local meet and great in front of your favorite School in Milwaukee and Madison with at least 50+ people with unconcealed and encased firearms. The media will have a field day and the political machine will be hard pressed to ignore it. Let me know what you think.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Thanks for the offer Doug and I will keep that in mind. Truth is, it was a good letter and even Jordan Austin said he over reacted. After rereading the email he said it actually looked pretty good. I did use spell check and grammar check as well as proof reading it. Not much else I can do.

But now that you mention it you do have a lot of experience with the political front so next time I will throw the letter your way first.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Uziel Gal wrote:
The best way, in my opinion, to combat Wisconsin's School Gun Zone laws is to have one of the major manufactures like Plano build a line of clear plastic gun cases. Something like a clear plastic H&K MP5 briefcase with velcro straps to secure the firearm and without the shoot n' carry option. Long gun cases are best so that people can see them from quite a distance. Then put together a local meet and great in front of your favorite School in Milwaukee and Madison with at least 50+ people with unconcealed and encased firearms. The media will have a field day and the political machine will be hard pressed to ignore it. Let me know what you think.
Not a bad Idea!

Stoney-Point

imported post

Just got this from my Rep...

Dear Stoney-Point,

Thank you for your email and your patience in awaiting a reply as my

office works through a backlog of constituent contacts.

I share your passion for protecting our constitutional rights to keep

and bear arms. That is why I am a strong supporter of measures such as

SB 129, the Castle Doctrine Bill, which guarantees the right to use

firearms to defend one's home from intruders. I am also a strong

supporter of concealed carry measures that will allow all law-abiding

citizens to carry concealed weapons.

I think your point about the 1000 ft school zone raises interesting

questions about our ability to exercise our constitutional rights. I

plan to continue examining these laws and hopefully something can be

done soon to better protect our freedoms in the future.

Thanks again for your email,

Randy Hopper