Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doctors really want to know about your guns!

Post imported post

I am pleased to announce that Mrs. Yowilhelm gave birth to our second daughter Friday morning! Both are doing well!

Whats more disturbing, on our first visit to the new pediatritian, along with the usual history we were also asked if there were any firearms in our house, storage and makes, models ect. I asked him why he would ask such a strange question and his reply was that in the case that someone in the household becomes in his opinion unstable for example due to the holidays, he would need to know things like that. He went on to explain how owning a gun puts the family at risk and the accidental shooting stats and highly elevated (against households without guns I guess). I told him that we were lucky to live in a safe household thank god.

I wonder what he would have thought if he knew I was CCing the whole time

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

yowilhelm wrote:
    I am pleased to announce that Mrs. Yowilhelm gave birth to our second daughter Friday morning! Both are doing well!

Whats more disturbing, on our first visit to the new pediatritian, along with the usual history we were also asked if there were any firearms in our house, storage and makes, models ect. I asked him why he would ask such a strange question and his reply was that in the case that someone in the household becomes in his opinion unstable for example due to the holidays, he would need to know things like that. He went on to explain how owning a gun puts the family at risk and the accidental shooting stats and highly elevated (against households without guns I guess). I told him that we were lucky to live in a safe household thank god.

I wonder what he would have thought if he knew I was CCing the whole time
    Congratulations.

Get a new Dr.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Post imported post

You should have told him about the stats of how many people are killed by doctors!

Post imported post

Congrats on the baby girl! As far as the doctor goes, I would tell him to concentrate on medicine and I will handle the security of my household.

Post imported post

There are certainly some whacked out Physicians, but please don't paint with too broad a brush.

I often go shooting and to gun shows with Physicians (including one of my brothers).

Most of the ones I know are pro-gun.

Mark (not a Physician)

Post imported post

Congrats!

I concur with Venator - get a new doctor as not all are like that. It is none of their damn business

I have CC'ed many times into the doc's office, he has gotten used to seeing it when he is checking my lungs with a stethoscope (asthma been bad this year). Even the nurses had no issues when I had to get X-Rays and took off my Holster/Firearm.
    Rights are like muscles. You must EXERCISE THEM to keep them from becoming atrophied.

Post imported post

:celebrate :celebrate Congratulations :celebrate:celebrate

I would get a new doctor. He should be focusing on your family's physical health, nothing more.

Post imported post

A friend in the med-field said doctors are required to ask about guns now.

Post imported post

Scooter wrote:
    By Law? Please cite the MCL or Federal Law that requires it.
    Rights are like muscles. You must EXERCISE THEM to keep them from becoming atrophied.

Post imported post

Just 'cuz they ask doesn't mean you have to tell....

Post imported post

Interesting.. I wonder if it came from this:

http://www.jpands.org/hacienda/edcor8.html

or this:

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?pageId=9051

Worst of them all:

When pediatricians become politicians
    Doctors rebuke, reject patients over gun control, other issues

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=17915

Kalifornia, Illinoistan,New Yorkstan,New Jerseystananti-gun States of the US

I'm having a discussion with my son to not discuss weather we have guns or not with anyone. Never thought I needed to do it but I guess it's necessary even if he wouldnt go to the doctors without us anyways.

Mike

Post imported post

I think that someone that you dont know is asking you if you have guns, If it is a friend asking what you have that is different. I think if someone that I dont know asks if I have guns, That is a story untold. If someone is trying to tell you not to own guns, I would tell them to get FUed. I agree with getting a new doctor, They aren`t here to tell you what you can have in your house, They are to keeps people healthy. Guns are something they shouldn`t even metion.

Post imported post

Venator wrote:
    Congratulations.

Get a new Dr.
    +1
    "Bam, I like saying bam when I cite something, in fact I think I shall do this from here on out, as long as I remember.
    Bam!" - eastmeyers

"Then said he to them, But now he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his sack: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
    Luke 22:36
    God Bless

Post imported post

I'll simply tell them to their face that it's not their business. As someone who also works in the medical field, I believe that question is extremely unethical, and have no problems telling them such.
    All opinions posted on opencarry.org are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of opencarry.org or Michigan Open Carry Inc.

Post imported post

PDinDetroit wrote:
    Scooter wrote:
    By Law? Please cite the MCL or Federal Law that requires it.
    And the law that states you have to answer.
    I’m proudly straight. I'm free to not support Legalization, GLBT, Illegal Aliens, or the Islamization of America.

Post imported post

They may be required by the AMA... an anti gun organization if there ever was one but I don't know of any laws that require it.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

Apparently, the American Academy of Pediatrics started this campaign in 2000. :X

AAP advises doctors to "incorporate questions about guns into their patient history taking" and to "urge parents who possess guns to remove them, especially handguns, from the home."

http://www.claremont.org/projects/pa...48/default.asp

Post imported post

cobra wrote:
    Apparently, the American Academy of Pediatrics started this campaign in 2000. :X

AAP advises doctors to "incorporate questions about guns into their patient history taking" and to "urge parents who possess guns to remove them, especially handguns, from the home."

SNIP from artcile cited: "the AAP advises doctors to "incorporate questions about guns into their patient history taking" and to "urge parents who possess guns to remove them, especially handguns, from the home."

Certainly not a law, it advises,doctors don’t have to ask.

Those that do ask just advise them to treat the patientand thatyoudon’t care to hear of theirAnti affiliations,bill my insurance, and then fax my records once I find a new doctor.
    I’m proudly straight. I'm free to not support Legalization, GLBT, Illegal Aliens, or the Islamization of America.

Post imported post

When my last daughter was born they had given us a sort of check list, included in this list was to secure or get rid of all your firearm's.

I am all for securing them but why would you even suggest getting rid of them?

I told them they needed to remove it and the nurse said they had no control over it.. In the end i told them to "take a hike" in no uncertain term's and never went back

Post imported post

cobra wrote:

And if we wind upgetting stuck with "Obama-Care," I'm sure that it wouldn't be long before the "risk" associated with a gun in the home will translate into the Obama-Care recipient's rate being adjusted (upward)to reflect the increased risk due to that particular "life-style choice."

Post imported post

A ECNALG wrote:
    And if we wind upgetting stuck with "Obama-Care," I'm sure that it wouldn't be long before the "risk" associated with a gun in the home will translate into the Obama-Care recipient's rate being adjusted (upward)to reflect the increased risk due to that particular "life-style choice."
    Yep...

Post imported post

no under obama care,they will know you have a gun in the home! and then COME AND GET THEM!!!

Post imported post

Obamacare for those over age 65....

Any and all expenses for 1 office visit and subsequent treatment and drugs prescribed by Dr. Kervorkian will be covered in full.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Post imported post

It never ceases to amaze me how people pick firearms as their pet vendetta. Any responsible practioner will know that there were more pediatric deaths (deaths of persons under the age of 19) due to motor vehicle trauma last year than firearm deaths in the preceding DECADE. Which practioner have you spoken to recently who wants to outlaw the use of automobiles by children? Which practioner do you know that wants to prohibit the ownership of automobiles by families with children in the house? Either of these actions would save the lives of more children annually than totally eliminating children's exposure to firearms for the next 10 years! Sometimes I wonder if MCRGO should post a list of firearm-hostile practioners like they do with businesses. The AAP blew all of their credibility when they issued that professional standard a few years ago. How sad to think that a highly regarded professional academy could be reduced to such a level.

One last comment. A previous poster pointed out that all practioners are not holophobes. Some enjoy the shooting sports and some even (gasp!) CC. My perception of people as a group is that nurses are way less holophobic. Currently I am helping a large group put together a CC class just for nurses.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

"Well, Doctor, I'm glad you brought it up.Physicians whohelp snoop enumerated rights and place that information into government-accessible files are noteworthy. That isa danger to the body politicthat concerned citizens should know about. I'll be sure to enter it in my file on you. And pass it along to other concerned citizens and civil rights groups."
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast