• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Doctors really want to know about your guns!

yowilhelm

imported post

I am pleased to announce that Mrs. Yowilhelm gave birth to our second daughter Friday morning! Both are doing well!

Whats more disturbing, on our first visit to the new pediatritian, along with the usual history we were also asked if there were any firearms in our house, storage and makes, models ect. I asked him why he would ask such a strange question and his reply was that in the case that someone in the household becomes in his opinion unstable for example due to the holidays, he would need to know things like that. He went on to explain how owning a gun puts the family at risk and the accidental shooting stats and highly elevated (against households without guns I guess). I told him that we were lucky to live in a safe household thank god.

I wonder what he would have thought if he knew I was CCing the whole time

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

yowilhelm wrote:
I am pleased to announce that Mrs. Yowilhelm gave birth to our second daughter Friday morning! Both are doing well!

Whats more disturbing, on our first visit to the new pediatritian, along with the usual history we were also asked if there were any firearms in our house, storage and makes, models ect. I asked him why he would ask such a strange question and his reply was that in the case that someone in the household becomes in his opinion unstable for example due to the holidays, he would need to know things like that. He went on to explain how owning a gun puts the family at risk and the accidental shooting stats and highly elevated (against households without guns I guess). I told him that we were lucky to live in a safe household thank god.

I wonder what he would have thought if he knew I was CCing the whole time

Congratulations.

Get a new Dr.

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

There are certainly some whacked out Physicians, but please don't paint with too broad a brush.

I often go shooting and to gun shows with Physicians (including one of my brothers).

Most of the ones I know are pro-gun.

Mark (not a Physician)

PDinDetroit

imported post

Congrats!

I concur with Venator - get a new doctor as not all are like that. It is none of their damn business :cuss: :banghead:

I have CC'ed many times into the doc's office, he has gotten used to seeing it when he is checking my lungs with a stethoscope (asthma been bad this year). Even the nurses had no issues when I had to get X-Rays and took off my Holster/Firearm.

mikestilly

imported post

Interesting.. I wonder if it came from this:

http://www.jpands.org/hacienda/edcor8.html

or this:

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?pageId=9051

Worst of them all:

When pediatricians become politicians
[size=+1]Doctors rebuke, reject patients over gun control, other issues[/size]

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=17915

Kalifornia, Illinoistan,New Yorkstan,New Jerseystananti-gun States of the US

I'm having a discussion with my son to not discuss weather we have guns or not with anyone. Never thought I needed to do it but I guess it's necessary even if he wouldnt go to the doctors without us anyways.

Mike

wally1120

imported post

I think that someone that you dont know is asking you if you have guns, If it is a friend asking what you have that is different. I think if someone that I dont know asks if I have guns, That is a story untold. If someone is trying to tell you not to own guns, I would tell them to get FUed. I agree with getting a new doctor, They aren`t here to tell you what you can have in your house, They are to keeps people healthy. Guns are something they shouldn`t even metion.

malignity

imported post

I'll simply tell them to their face that it's not their business. As someone who also works in the medical field, I believe that question is extremely unethical, and have no problems telling them such.

jbone

imported post

PDinDetroit wrote:
Scooter wrote:
A friend in the med-field said doctors are required to ask about guns now.
By Law? Please cite the MCL or Federal Law that requires it.
And the law that states you have to answer.

jbone

imported post

cobra wrote:
Apparently, the American Academy of Pediatrics started this campaign in 2000. :X

AAP advises doctors to "incorporate questions about guns into their patient history taking" and to "urge parents who possess guns to remove them, especially handguns, from the home."

http://www.claremont.org/projects/pageid.1748/default.asp

SNIP from artcile cited: "the AAP advises doctors to "incorporate questions about guns into their patient history taking" and to "urge parents who possess guns to remove them, especially handguns, from the home."

Certainly not a law, it advises,doctors don’t have to ask.

Those that do ask just advise them to treat the patientand thatyoudon’t care to hear of theirAnti affiliations,bill my insurance, and then fax my records once I find a new doctor.

steve

imported post

When my last daughter was born they had given us a sort of check list, included in this list was to secure or get rid of all your firearm's.

I am all for securing them but why would you even suggest getting rid of them?

I told them they needed to remove it and the nurse said they had no control over it.. In the end i told them to "take a hike" in no uncertain term's and never went back

A ECNALG

imported post

cobra wrote:
Apparently, the American Academy of Pediatrics started this campaign in 2000. :X

AAP advises doctors to "incorporate questions about guns into their patient history taking" and to "urge parents who possess guns to remove them, especially handguns, from the home."

http://www.claremont.org/projects/pageid.1748/default.asp
And if we wind upgetting stuck with "Obama-Care," I'm sure that it wouldn't be long before the "risk" associated with a gun in the home will translate into the Obama-Care recipient's rate being adjusted (upward)to reflect the increased risk due to that particular "life-style choice."